[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What percentage of artists go through art school and still draw

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1503383946647.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1503383946647.png
1MB, 1366x768px
What percentage of artists go through art school and still draw like absolute shit?
>>
>>3109797
i have a cousin who went to art school and still draws like jack shit. talent is real famm
>>
How could you possibly measure that? Just what is "absolute shit"? What is an "artist"?
>>
>>3109806
dude theres some sort of objective standard
>>
>>3109803
antitalent isn't though. Anyone can draw competently and likely his education was just focussed on bullshit.
>>
>>3109797
Depends on the school. My school had limited seats in the Illustration major, so they put a lot of effort into chasing off anyone who wasn't serious. The ones that couldn't draw were gone by senior year.
General art majors? I'd say half graduate with a C gpa, and a mediocre at best portfolio. Someone has to be the lower end of the grading curve.
>>
>>3109797
a huuuge percentage. Most of them. source: went to art school.
>>
>>3109797
Most art schools are memes
>>
>>3109797
All those who didn't want to draw in the first place.
>>
>>3109797
School doesn't automatically make you good. If you do the strict minimum to get your grade, you'll not improve that much. Work is the key.
>>
>>3109797
My school didn't teach shit. They said they were teaching us ideas and how to think not skills and they didn't even do that. We just got set briefs and were told to go off and do it and then come in a week for a half assed crit where the tutors were too scared actually offer any constructive criticism.
>>
>>3109797
Based off of my school like 90%
>>
>>3109797
>>3109944
I can confirm this too, also going to art school and not much is happening outside of my own studies.

>>3110284
This is also true. Both art colleges I've been to largely focused on ideas and critical thinking rather than 6-8 hour drawing classes. We've had a few graduates come back and help as teaching assistants because they couldn't find jobs. I think it impacts how useful the program is when your instructor can't/won't point out flaws in your work.

>>3110234
This. It's up to you to be doing the extra hours filled with studies when class lets out. Try to meet some artists you can respect who will give you honest criticisms. Also show your work to regular friends because they can help you see if your stuff is clear enough or appealing and so on. If you do end up going to art school, try to befriend one or two professors who know their stuff and ask them for advice or personal critiques.
>>
>I went to shit art school
>My art school was shit = all art schools in my country are shit
Average anon from US
>>
>>3110343
European writing : that misconception also happens here, you know...
>>
>>3110284
This hits so close to home. Going into my second year of university and I feel like this is going to be the case again. Like do I quit or what? Am I too invested at this point?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.