[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

when can you start calling yourself an artist? "art"

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1476419834225.jpg (8KB, 159x157px) Image search: [Google]
1476419834225.jpg
8KB, 159x157px
when can you start calling yourself an artist?

"art" has become so vague in modern times anything can be construed as art. aren't we all artists of some sort in life?
>>
this is the type of bullshit someone who doesnt want to study
>>
>>3107135
*talks about
>>
>>3107128
not important
>>
>>3107139
like your life
>>
>>3107161
wow... wow... *breaks into sobs*
>>
>>3107128
>The picture is the same size as it is in the thumbnail.
This is art, OP is now an artist.
>>
Wtf are you doing that you have to ask when you can call yourself an artist?

The term is vague enough that you can call yourself an artist with only one day of training.
>>
>>3107165
lol retard
>>
Well, the generally understood definition of "artist" is that you regularly produce works of visual media (drawing, painting, sculpting, animating...) or music. But if you want to challenge the definition, I would say that if you regularly produce something you can justify being art then you can call yourself an artist. "Art" is in its broadest definition any work of creativity, probably moreso if its value if inherent and not based on its effect on something else. I include the second part because otherwise you could say engineers/programmers/etc are artists, which is not quite accurate because their work is valued because of its practical use. If you were to show off the code itself without considering what the code accomplishes, I suppose you could call that art.
>>
>>3107128
I don't think it matters. I don't think the issue merits much discussion. "Artist" is a broad enough term that it can cover occupation, perspective, and identity - and all are valid.

When did I start calling myself an artist? Around the time I made a commitment to myself that this is what I was going to study and pursue for the rest of m life - my identity as "artist" goes further than employment, it's how I see the world, and how I fit into it. That happened for me around college - I had been studying guitar and art equally since I was 12 or 13. I was good enough a guitar player to join a band, but once I started hanging around the music industry, saw how it works, and saw what being a musician really is, I gave it a long, hard look, and discovered my path was art. I have something to say, as an artist -as a guitarist, I was dime a fucking dozen.
I've never regretted it. I still play guitar, but it's taken a firm back seat to art. I'll spend money on art supplies before I buy anything guitar related.

Art is a path, a mindset, a career, a philosophy, a lifestyle, a perspective, an identity. How you approach is your choice. There's no official moment you become an artist, it's a process and a path, where you feel the title become part of you. Are you an artist? You're the only person who can answer that.
>>
File: WakabayashiToshiya03108.png (86KB, 443x331px) Image search: [Google]
WakabayashiToshiya03108.png
86KB, 443x331px
>>3107223
>Art is a path, a mindset, a career, a philosophy, a lifestyle, a perspective, an identity
this
>>
You are an artist since the moment you are born and stop being one when you develop a sense of what is good or bad.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.