[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many of you have actually read all of Loomis' books?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: Untitled.jpg (20KB, 182x250px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
20KB, 182x250px
How many of you have actually read all of Loomis' books? Have you completed at least one of them?

personally I finished all of "fun with a pencil", was sort of a waste of time because I was already familiar with the construction part it teaches, and the rest was just copying his cartoony style that I wasn't interested in. didn't learn much.

i also finished about half of "figure drawing for all it's worth". amazing book, taught me a good portion of what I know about the figure and anatomy. Looking forward to at some point finishing it. the rest of the books I have barely touched.
>>
File: dropped.png (282KB, 519x869px) Image search: [Google]
dropped.png
282KB, 519x869px
fuckin dropped dude
>>
>>3104506
das waycis
>>
>>3104506
what's the first one suppose to be?
>>
>>3104501
i didnt finish it. felt like loomis was marketing his books to a specific type of "artist." like to draw simple caricatures to entertain dinner guests or tea parties when that was still a thing. I feel like he knew only women would be reading those books.
So i got turned off. There are plenty of books that try to pander to the serious minded (or at least serious-seeming) autist type.
>>
>>3104510
you only read fun with a pencil, didn't you? the rest of his books are completely different.
>>
>>3104512
yeah youre right. i got annoyed tbqh. i dont know how different they can be
>>
>>3104509
probably a Cuban
>>
>>3104514
His book on head and hands is great, you're pretty much drawing realistic faces after like a week, but they're not at Loomis level because his level of shading is broken.
>>
>>3104553
i get the feeling nobody only /ic/ makes it past fun with a pencil, drawing the head and hands, and figure drawing for all it's worth.

his other books are much more serious. Successful Drawing covers everything from construction to perspective and anatomy. and Creative illustration is probably his second or third best book.
>>
>>3104501
I've read all of them except eye of the painter. They're all good, but you might want to get some supplement stuff because sometimes he just casually drops something super important in a footnote, or a caption or something, and you won't realize how important that is unless you already knew the principal.

All in all, great artist and great writer. I really like his tone, it's very inspirational, especially in Creative Illustration, which I'd consider his magnum opus.

Fun with a pencil is just a book for having fun, like for literal babbies who never held a pencil before, so you can probably give it a skip.

Definitely read Creative Illustration, though, I think it's his best.

Has anyone read Eye of the Painter though? Is it good?
>>
>>3104637
>Has anyone read Eye of the Painter though? Is it good?
i tried to a bit. it's kind of boring, lots of walls of text. but i guess it's a good supplement to pair with other color/light books like "how to render" and "color and light for the realist painter".
>>
Fun with a pencil is only necessary if you're an absolute beginner, if you've been drawing for a few years and understand the basics of constructing characters with shapes, just start on figure drawing and heads and hands.
Even if you are wanting to do animation or chinese cartoon's, if you know the basics just skip it.
>>
>>3104506
Let's just say he's a product of his time
>>
>>3104501
>"The nude human figure must serve as the basis for all figure study. It is impossible to draw the clothed or draped figure without a knowledge of the structure and form of the figure underneath."
>draws all nude women wearing high heels

what the fuck loomis
>>
>>3104674
Yeah the time before white boi was put in his place
>>
>>3104501
>How many of you have actually read all of Loomis' books?

Zero, and I'm a professional artists.
But I have talent, so I didn't need books. I already knew how to draw from the get go.
>>
>>3104713
Post blog
>>
>>3104637
eye of a painter is a great read
>>
>>3104953

He wrote "I'd Love To Draw" after he wrote "Eye of The Painter". It was his last book and he passed away before he finished it and Alex Ross put it together and provided the explanations/notes to illustrations that you see in there.

EoTP is a love letter to fine arts.
>>
>>3104688
lets just say he's a product of his time
>>
>>3104688
He was a man with taste
>>
>>3104506
Can't handle the truth you fuckin snowflake?
>>
>>3104509
Jew
>>
>>3104506
These were easier times.
>>
>>3104509
Italian?
>>
>>3109009
indeed

i'm convinced sjws are skewing history
so tired of the 'poor loser! reparations 4ever!' agenda

So what some nasty ugly white bitch calls you a nigger at the dmv. get over it
>>
>>3104501
I finished fun with a pencil. I didn't find the last part all that useful since it only barely mentions lighting and perspective but I didn't know construction before reading it so I feel like I got a lot out of the first couple parts.

Currently drawing a bunch of bullshit still lifes for practice and about to go through drawing the head and hands.
>>
>>3104515
>>3108590
>>3109015

Its a gypsy retards
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.