[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /ic/. I have a question about oil painting varnish. I varnished

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 064N09648_5PQLT.jpg (2MB, 1994x2000px) Image search: [Google]
064N09648_5PQLT.jpg
2MB, 1994x2000px
hey /ic/. I have a question about oil painting varnish.
I varnished an oil painting using Utrecht Gloss Oil Varnish yesterday to display in an exhibition. Today, I hung the painting in the gallery, and realized that the varnish I used was wayyy too glossy when we shined gallery light on it.
I wanted to ask if the gloss will get less glossy if I let it dry for a couple more days, and if there are anyways I can remove its glossyness.

Also, I only waited 2 months to varnish because of the show, incase of the usual 6 months if it affect anything.

Thanks
>>
>>3100790
no idea m8, you could try rubbing it back some? carefully of course
otherwise let it shine
>>
>>3100790
it should get less glossy when it's dry in my experience, the only time i've tried to fix something like this i fucked it up though, i tried to strip some of the varnish off with turps, and then apply a matte varnish, but it um..became a mr. bean type situation..or i suppose monkey jesus is the more timely reference
>>
>>3100872
>>3100879
damn lol
I guess I'll wait maybe a few more days before trying to rub back some. Thanks
>>
Place it under better lighting conditions. Trying to remove the gloss will ruin the underlying paint.
>>
>>3100790
Put another coat of matte varnish over the gloss. It;s not that complicated.
>>
>>3100790
I'm gonna be that guy.

The life lessons here are not to varnish right before a show, and to test unknown varnishes before using them on good paintings (especially right before a show). Obviously, you have to learn how the materials dry, but your timing was unfortunate. I recommend you take a canvas with a throwaway painting, divide it into quadrants, label those quadrants, then apply several different varnishes to them according to your labeling. Keep it for reference and you can get away with rush jobs. Not gonna lie; when I was younger I hung wet paintings, too.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.