[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why boxes? Why no love for the other platonic solids? I mean

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: Dodecahedron.jpg (63KB, 847x829px) Image search: [Google]
Dodecahedron.jpg
63KB, 847x829px
Why boxes? Why no love for the other platonic solids? I mean try drawing one of these bad boys head on, that's already a challenge, let alone in perspective.
>>
>>3097141
dude I asked about this awhile ago and no one replied.

I think platonic solids are useful, if you approach it as, "create a icosahedron from a box; in perspective."

It would be wise to print out some templates and add them to your still life setup. Wouldnt hurt to study platonic shapes from life.
>>
Because boxes are more simple and you should learn how to draw basic prisms before anything else.
>>
>>3097229
How does a box fit into an icosohedron?
>>
File: tonQO.gif (8KB, 234x231px) Image search: [Google]
tonQO.gif
8KB, 234x231px
>>3097254
>>
>>3097262
Thats a dodecahedron
>>
>>3097277
The icosohedron is the dual of the dodecahedron. So the cube would touch the midpoints of the edges instead of the corners.
>>
>>3097141
You can fit anything into a box already, there's no need to make it more complicated for the same results.
>>
>>3097141
Because there is no practical application for it to be used instead of boxes. If anything it could be used instead of a sphere, if you have something that has clear plane changes like a head.
>>
>>3097141
>>3097229
When the fuck is it gonna be useful to simplify something into a dodecahedron?
>>
>>3097335
Why does everything have to be about simplicfication? Why not try useful challenges instead? If you can draw abstract shapes in perspective then you can draw anything in perspective. You can't symbol-draw basic geometry
>>
File: icosahedron.png (8KB, 347x322px) Image search: [Google]
icosahedron.png
8KB, 347x322px
>>3097277
my bad, I wasnt paying attention.

>>3097335
>useful
I'll study it for a month and let you know
>>
>>3097363
Please be trolling
>>
>>3097381
He's not wrong
>>
You draw boxes because many shapes in actual drawing can be simplified to boxes. The perspective practice you gain from it is a bonus on top of that.

Drawing more complex shapes might be useful for when you're trying to focus just on training your spatial thinking, but going for a decent score on a tough challenge is inferior to mastering a simple challenge that you'll apply in actual drawing every single day.
>>
>>3097429
Wrong, using a crutch is not mastery. Mastery is having an innate sense of space which is what you will get drawing abstract shapes in perspective
>>
>>3097433
Yeah, mastery is gained by focusing on one specific aspect, but unless you're close to being a master already your time would be better spent on practicing something that gives more over all gains.

I'm talking about mastering boxes, not 3D forms in general.

inb4
>b-but why stop halfway in!
See my first sentence
>>
>>3097433
>you will get drawing abstract shapes in perspective
You'll be doing that shit when you aren't drawing stupid dodecahedrons anyway.

Feel free to draw those, or you can just draw pretty much anything else.
>>
>>3097466
Well I can already draw boxes. Its not even difficult. Is this some wax on wax off shit?
>>
>>3097475
WTF I hate sacred geometry now
>>
>>3097476
yeah but can you draw the same box in different positions in perspective?
>>
>>3097363
It's not a challenge, it's procrastination. You're learning nothing of value from this that could be applied to your art. But by all means, keep wasting your time on random brain farts of yours that literally no artist in history ever deemed worthy of studying. I'm sure you know way better than everyone else. Fuck Loomis and FUCK boxes!
>>
File: 1493489780233.jpg (669KB, 1085x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1493489780233.jpg
669KB, 1085x1800px
>>3097363
>>3097381
>>3097569
>>3097466
>arguing with positivists literally about boxes.
>>
>>3097141
>>3097229
Rectangles can be easily divided into two or three segments.

Boxes establish X, Y, and Z axes.

The silhouette of circles and spheres do not change in perspective, making them useful as a constant.

These properties make them valuable for drawing pretty much anything.
>>
File: contrast-order-and-chaos.jpg (565KB, 1280x1285px) Image search: [Google]
contrast-order-and-chaos.jpg
565KB, 1280x1285px
>>3097569
>random brain farts of yours that literally no artist in history ever deemed worthy of studying
>>
>>3097569
its common sense

>geometric shapes have one objective form that will be entirely obvious if you fucked it up
>geometric shapes cannot be symbol-drawn

10/10 perspective exercise desupie
>>
>>3097741
you may learn some math from it, so it's not completely pointless I guess
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.