[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you practive deliberately when it comes to drawing? I've

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (11KB, 214x236px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11KB, 214x236px
How do you practive deliberately when it comes to drawing? I've been trying that but with little success and I dont really know what to do. Someone said that focusing on one thing really hard for 30 min can bring the biggest gains but I am not sure, I will try it though. Any suggestions?
>>
Assuming you are reading a book

1.- Read the lecture while watching the drawings
2.- Understand what the author is telling you read more than once if necessary
3.- Copy the drawing from the book
4.- Do your own attempts
5.- If you don't get it go look references
6.- After you can reasonably do your own, flip the page
>>
>>3096861
when it comes to reading books:
1. do the exercises
2. do it again
3. read on why the exercise is important, what is it trying to demonstrate? what can be achieved using this method over another?
4. do the exercise again.

learning from books is more about understanding why this author uses one method over another, the actual drawing ability of a person doesn't really factor into it.

for streams/videos:
1. follow along, pause the video if necessary
2. draw it again
3. do the same exercise/technique again, but on a different subject, angle, or pose (ie. when learning crosshatching, dont just do trees and arms, diversify your learning)

other than that, just dont listen to music while you do any of these, and just have fun with it. music diverts attention away from your work, depriving you of focus and ruining your learning experience. mood is also important, you become more receptive to information if you are in a good mood as opposed to a bad one.
>>
>>3097853
>>3098027

I like how you broke these down, do you think you can do something similar for

- reviewing and critiquing your own work.

- taking a critique (whether yours or or someone else's) understanding it learning from it and applying it.
>>
>>3098065
i can certainly do one for critique, though nothing i can suggest to you can be done in a timely manner.

1. finish your work
2. finish your work (it bears repeating because people dont do this)
3. write down everything you can see wrong with your work
5. work on something else and come back to the first thing you did in a week. make sure you dont see what you just finished in the mean time.
6. reanalyze your work. were you just being paranoid? are they legit concerns? if so maybe you should add them to your "to do" list and work them into your schedule

this is the "stephen king" method of self critique, where you do something, come back to it a week later (or in stephen's case, 6 months later) and see if that idea still resonates with you. the idea behind this is after a long enough period of time has passed, you can start to look at your own work objectively due to there being less of an emotional attachment. its easy to become extremely negative or overly permissive over your mistakes if you dont give your work some time to get out of your system as it were.

taking critique is a bit different. ideally you want to be happy all the time and be grateful that you got the critique, but thats not always the case. in the case of taking criticism, its all about managing your mood. that being said, there are still things that can be done about it.

>write down criticism's, just do bullet points
or
>check for a 'theme', do a lot of your criticism's revolve around specific aspects of your drawings?

do 1 or both, it doesn't matter. the thing you should be taking away from the critique is the critique, try to distance yourself from shitty comments if possible and dont get flustered. maybe get a friend to read them out to you rather than you doing it yourself, or listen to some music while sifting through them. what you do is up to you, but just be glad you were worth the critique and cross reference it with your analysis of your work.
>>
>>3098085
Thank you so much, this was exactly what I was l looking for.
>>
>>3096861
Is there a specific order in which to learn different artistic concepts to optimize efficiency?
For example it'd make sense to learn about shapes and perspective before anatomy.
>>
Deliberate practice is about organizing the subject you're studying. You need to break it down into smaller steps. Then you need to practice all those small steps slowly and methodically self correct/adjust.
The best way to think about it is like studying music.
It'd take pages to break it all down, but if you look at the Suzuki method or how people practice golf swings, you might figure out how you need to break down your studies.
>>
>>3096861
if you can't sit down on your own and draw things that interest you, you're not gonna make it.
>>
Study it just like you would study maths

You have to ask questions, test things, find out the subject from every angle so much that it's easy to understand
>>
>>3096861
> Monster hunter Friedrich Wulfheart shown here dabbing
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.