[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can I study Ron Cobb's work? What makes his drawings

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: M1sqf5tdo10_1280.jpg (226KB, 1280x560px) Image search: [Google]
M1sqf5tdo10_1280.jpg
226KB, 1280x560px
How can I study Ron Cobb's work? What makes his drawings the way they are? How can I emulate and learn from his stuff?
>>
>>3094896

Break them down in a way you understand it.
>>
>>3094896
Study technical drawing, and industrial design. His stuff fits right in with it. He just took the marker rendering style of industrial design, and applied it science fiction. Plus, he's incredibly talented. He was taught drafting in the army, that's where his technical drawing skills came from.
>>
>>3094896
I think you'll enjoy Scott Robertson's How To books.
>>
>>3094896
Do you mean his style, or just the technical aspect? If it's the latter you'll need to learn perspective (see Erik Olson, Vandruff), then try out Robertson. After that just study Cobb's work directly
>>
>>3094911
I was taught drafting, and this is a huge part of doing this kind of illustration. What makes his stuff unique is the design -behind- the drawing. Even though his designs are fictional, there is a high-level, intimate understanding of engineering and industrial design that goes into his work. THAT is the part, to me, that is the most difficult to emulate and study. If anyone can suggest how to get better at that, I'm all ears.
>>
>>3095060

His style, specifically. It looks clunky, heavy and realistic.
>>
I would look for a more proficient artist to emulate, there are many errors and poor decisions in that piece op
>>
>>3095119

It's a fucking production sketch my dude. I think a lot of people like him for the designs more than the actual renderings he produced. They were a means to an end.

Not to say the man couldn't illustrate.
>>
>>3095123

Was he an army engineer or something? I don't see how else you could design such a structure without some kind engineering background, especially before the internet.
>>
>>3095126
Yes, he learned drafting in the military. Just go read his Wiki page - he worked at Disney, got taught animation,left, worked a bunch of bullshit jobs, then went into the military, he was drafted for the Vietnam War.
He's just one of those super talented guys - the only training he got was at Disney, he learned to animate working on Sleeping beauty at 18, then got training in the military - never went to college. I suspect he reads a lot, and has several degrees worth of experience in several industries. He just has a knack for proportions and design of industrial stuff that looks "real", like designed by engineers, not artists.
>>
>>3094896
go learn tech drawing, i'm pretty sure they still teach the pencil and paper kind.
>>
Does anyone have art books and resources on this to share? It looks very interesting.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.