[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Sculpture is the highest form of art." -Michelangelo

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9

"Sculpture is the highest form of art."
-Michelangelo

Animefags BTFO, drop the wacom and pick up a marble block.
>>
That was then, this is now. Anime is at an all time high, do you think people know about what art pieces are even being displayed in galleries without being a part of the art world?
>>
>>3087429
trannyism is also on the rise, doesn't make it good nor acceptable. fuck anime
>>
File: guanyin.jpg (120KB, 532x800px) Image search: [Google]
guanyin.jpg
120KB, 532x800px
Your move, smartass.
>>
Game Over.
>>
>>3087440
you didn't make this
>>
File: GundamMarbleStatue.jpg (81KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
GundamMarbleStatue.jpg
81KB, 600x450px
here's to you mikey
>>
>>3087444
Neither did Michaelangelo.
>>
File: nd48m5AlJq1rf4cqeo1.png (401KB, 464x750px) Image search: [Google]
nd48m5AlJq1rf4cqeo1.png
401KB, 464x750px
>>3087424
>the original animu
>>
>>3087451
Obviously, because he's way beyond that. Don't you ever try to disparage him again.
>>
Michelangelo was a sodomite.
>>
File: leonardo.jpg (29KB, 294x450px) Image search: [Google]
leonardo.jpg
29KB, 294x450px
>>3087424

>Sculpture, a very noble art, is one that does not in the execution require the same supreme ingenuity as the art of painting, since in two most important and difficult particulars, in foreshortening and in light and shade... the painter has to invent a process, whereas sculpture is helped by nature.

checkmate sculpturefags
>>
File: luciusfab.png (226KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
luciusfab.png
226KB, 600x338px
>>3087452
>mfw Thermae Romae was a documentary
>>
>>3087463
very true. leo was so smart.
>>
Best artist I ever met was a sculptor and a gogo dancer as a day job. I drew C+ a portrait of Albert Einstein in like 18 or 26 hours and she drew what was at least a B in 30 minutes.
>>
>>3087452
Oh shit we found a specific color trapped in the marble, lets paint that whole area in that color, totally disregarding that they might have painted in thin layers and deliberate mixtures.
Let's not hire a skilled craftsman to help us, I mean how unscientific would that be?
>>
>>3087424
>pick up a marble block.
You mean ZBrush?
>>
>>3087424
i agree, certainly when it comes to the figure anyway, i don't know that a sculpture of a landscape or a still life would have the same impact as a painting lol
>>
File: 1501378528824.jpg (228KB, 1440x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1501378528824.jpg
228KB, 1440x1920px
>>3087424
Your move, anon.
>>
>>3087452
>the original waifufag

>Pygmalion was a talented Greek sculptor from Cyprus. After becoming disgusted by some local prostitutes, he lost all interest in women and avoided their company completely. Pygmalion saw women as flawed creatures and vowed never to waste any moment of his life with them. He dedicated himself to his work and soon created Galatea, a beautiful stature of a woman out of ivory. Ironically, the masterpiece of his life was this statue of a woman. Perhaps he sought to correct in marble the flaws he saw in women of flesh and blood.

>Whatever the case, Pygmalion worked so long and with such inspiration on the statue of Galatea, that it became more beautiful than any woman that had ever lived or been carved in stone.

>As he finished the statue’s features, they became exquisitely lovely, and he found himself applying the strokes of hammer and chisel with increasing affection. When his chisel finally stopped ringing, there stood before him a woman of such perfection that Pygmalion, who had professed his disdain of all females, fell deeply in love. He brought it gifts he thought women would enjoy, such as pretty seashells, beads, songbirds, baubles and flowers.He would dress the statue in fine clothing, and put rings on her fingers, necklaces around her neck and even earrings. However, what irony that he who had scorned women should fall in love with a woman who could never love him in return!

>In time, Aphrodite's festival day came, and Pygmalion made offerings at the altar of Aphrodite. There, too scared to admit his desire, he quietly wished for a bride who would be "the living likeness of my ivory girl." When he returned home, he kissed his ivory statue, and found that its lips felt warm. He kissed it again, and found that the ivory had lost its hardness. Aphrodite had granted Pygmalion's wish.

>Pygmalion married the ivory sculpture changed to a woman under Aphrodite's blessing.
>>
>>3088278
mmmm, nice.
Not much sculpts have this kind of features.
>>
>>3087424
You do learn a lot about drawing from sculpting and vice versa. I learned a lot about line of action just from setting up armature wires for example.
>>
>>3087424
>>3087463
I'm with Leo on this.

Overcoming the barrier of communicating form on a flat surface doesn't degrade drawing, it enhances it. It's a part of the process, part of the art.
Any child can "feel the form" on a sculpture, but when it's a piece of paper, there's a real magic involved. If you've been there, you'll understand.
>>
I'm more into quantity. Even pro sculptors of large works don't make many pieces

That's probably som religion related quote out of context too
>>
>>3087424
>drop the wacom and pick up a marble block.
B-B-B-But anon, marble is FUCKING EXPENSIVE.
The most I can to is to make a block of plaster...
>>
>>3088469
Sort of. To me there is less of a distinction now because when I'm drawing, I'm thinking in terms of sculpture and volumetric forms. In my mind I use the term "chisel" and "sculpt" a lot when I'm doing representational life drawing.

Sculpture was definitely easier for me to pick up than drawing, though I started 3D early on in my teens so that helped a lot.

But I do think a volumetric understanding is crucial to a good drawing that reads convincingly. At the end of the day you need to break a thing down into planes and know how to render each plane, and think from both a logical, as well as a "design taste" viewpoint where to use a hard plane, and where to use a soft one.

I'd encourage every anon to pick up sculpture, or at least 3D. The oil- and water-based clays feel good to work with.

For what it's worth, every good sculptor is a good draftsman. This isn't an exaggeration.
>>
>>3088290
she would leave him for someone richer
>>
>>3088278
what's this from?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.