[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do I have to study perspective until I master it and then move

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

File: perspective.gif (10KB, 393x279px) Image search: [Google]
perspective.gif
10KB, 393x279px
Do I have to study perspective until I master it and then move on to other stuff? It's so fucking boring and exhaustive but I have to learn it.
>>
Even thought it sounds cheesy, i think the point with perspective is to know it so well that you dont find it boring and exhaustive. I've always hated vanishing points, so i started drawing freehand perspective with like 4-6 lines for the grid and then just eyeball the rest. Really helped me overcome the fear of perspective.
>>
>>3081021
Like everything, it requires practice. While it may be boring, it can be a pretty powerful asset as soon as you get it down.

But at the same time, it's also rather situational. Like >>3081030, I also hate vanishing points. So I really only use them for outright complex angles more than anything.
>>
>>3081021
no, you just need to understand the basics. 'mastering perspective' is really a way of procrastinating, 'oh no i can't do any art today, i have to know how to rotate a box at will!'

you can learn more advanced stuff later if you end up needing it
>>
>>3081034
>I also hate vanishing points.

How can you hate vanishing points? It's so basic it's like saying you hate construction. Like saying you hate correct proportions.

>>3081021
There's not much to study. You just add as many vanishing points as you need to get the right proportions between different objects. Then there's so geometry/simple math involved if you want something to appear to have an equal distance toward the horizon and such. It shouldn't take more than half an hour to go through it.
>>
>>3081021
Why do people say it's hard or boring? It's such a simple concept and unlike pretty much everything else in art you can directly apply what you learn, it's 100% knowledge based.

Are you learning digitally? I feel like it's much easier to learn if you're doing it traditionally with set squares.
>>
>>3081048
because i think it limits your creative flow when you have to draw the lines back everytime, plus often they will be off the page anyway if you want a realistic perspective. And also just looks meesy if its a simple sketch. Not the same as saying you dont want correct proportions.
>>
>>3081021
2 hours a day for a week and you will know all the perspective you will ever need to draw anime dick girls.
If you don't want to split it up per day for a week. Just do a weekend of perspective and you are done. Towards anime dick girls you go! Easy!
>>
File: C56hMmrUsAI8bcf.jpg orig.jpg (200KB, 731x1100px) Image search: [Google]
C56hMmrUsAI8bcf.jpg orig.jpg
200KB, 731x1100px
>>3081102
not OP but I'm aiming higher than dick girls.
>>
>>3081098
Eh, you don't. The whole point is to use visualization as much as possible but even if you draw traditionally you can still just put down a ruler to see if your lines match up. Digitally you got layers.

How can you hope to be creative when you can't even improvise that much?
>>
>>3081161
you just talked about correct proportions and now its all about visualization. okay mate.
>>
File: cloudy.jpg (106KB, 653x490px) Image search: [Google]
cloudy.jpg
106KB, 653x490px
>>3081021
I'm doing this right now, and perspective suddenly became a lot more relevant. how can I check the perspective when drawing skies?
>>
>>3081189
>how can I check the perspective when drawing skies?
You can't, not concretely at least. Clouds come in all shapes, sizes and positions. A cloud being 'out of perspective' won't inherently jump out the way a figure or building out of perspective would.

What you can do is make a 1pt perspective grid in the sky. If you drew square tiles, you now have a scale that recedes in space that you can use to compare cloud sizes. Again, clouds have a lot of variety so this won't have much use. If it reveals that all the clouds closest to the viewer are small and all the clouds far away are large, then your clouds probably don't look that convincing. But you don't really need a grid to tell you that.

You could probably also draw cubes at various sizes that encompass your clouds. From that you can glean that you'll see the front size more for far clouds, and the bottom side more for clouds that are overhead. Again, you don't really need perspective to apply that to clouds since they do come in different shapes and sizes.

Go draw and paint clouds from life until you get the feel for it. Pay attention to how clouds you can see in the distance looking forward appear different than clouds you have to look upwards to see. Don't overthink it.
>>
>>3081021
Like all fundies it'll be a work in progress as long as you're drawing. So once you have a basic understanding from 1-point to auxiliary perspective, apply it to your personal drawings. Draw scenery (outdoors and indoors), draw characters, draw characters in a scene. You'll be surprised how naturally applying the horizon line and VP's comes to you.
>>
>>3081168
Visualize the help lines you dumb shit.
>>
>>3081189

The same way you do the ground, it's exactly the same thing.
>>
File: fsex.jpg (37KB, 379x551px) Image search: [Google]
fsex.jpg
37KB, 379x551px
>>3081116
That's more of foreshortening, not really perspective that makes this piece great.
(not saying perspective is bad but it does not highlight the image the way the foreshortening does)
>>
>>3081208

>You can't, not concretely at least.

Yes, yes you can. There's literally no difference between the ground and the sky as far as perspective techniques are concerned.
>>
>>3081280
Not the anon you replied to but don't you need to learn perspective to know how foreshortening works?
>>
>>3081189
>>
>>3081280
Anon you dumbfuck, there is no such thing as "foreshortening" that is separate from perspective. "Foreshortening" IS perspective.
>>
File: finalskyre.jpg (117KB, 653x490px) Image search: [Google]
finalskyre.jpg
117KB, 653x490px
>>3081208
>>3081275
>>3081320
that is great thanks a lot!

I did this mostly without ref and as I kept erasing and redrawing, I noticed that it had lost something on the way, which the infographic points out, that it became too uniform. Nature is way more random than one would think.
>>
>>3081021
You don't have to master anything before moving on you learn everything evenly as you go.

This had me fucked up because I would start loomis totally fuck up proportions at the start and think I can't move on till thats right so I would just give up.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.