[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about Charles H. Cecil's atelier, boys.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: Charles-H.-Cecil-332x500.jpg (39KB, 332x500px) Image search: [Google]
Charles-H.-Cecil-332x500.jpg
39KB, 332x500px
Let's talk about Charles H. Cecil's atelier, boys. Has any of you gone there? Apparently it's the go-to for the upcoming superstars of classical art, with the majority of students coming from wealthy families.

Unfortunately it will never happen for me, since I come from a humble
background. I'm currently at an atelier that was started by someone who was taught by Cecil, but I'm only here for a short course (three weeks). It's a little soul-crushing that I will return home again soon, in another country, to work a shitty job again, but now with the knowledge that only doing a course like this fulltime will make me grow into the artist I wish to be, and that I will never get to. I also don't know if I will ever again have the opportunity to return here. Maybe in a next life I can aspire to be more.
>>
No offense homie, but 3600 euros a semester, for 3 years really isn't that bad.

The angel academy is 4000 euros i think a semester, and most ateliers are for 3 years.

That's around $40,000 in debt after 3 years, which really isn't that bad, you should be good enough to start making money at that point.

I'm going to the LDM in italy this fall and want to go to the angel academy next year. Just work and save up and get some loans.
>>
>>3078858

I've heard some horror stories about the Angel 'round here. Not sure if those are fair however, but it was from different students. I would be able to cough up one semester but I would also have to pay for things like materials, rent, food... Florence isn't cheap. Good luck, I'd love to hear about your experience.
>>
>>3078874

How bad were the stories? I think though to be honest you'll have kids who have bad experiences at every school.

I think an ataliers the way to go if you want a solid foundation, american art schools are so expensive you'll be broke unless you get a lot of grants or rich parents.

Sitting on 4chan looking at loomis books is how you waste precious time. I hope you manage to make it too though.
>>
>>3078858
>>3078874
Yeah the school cost by itself manageable, but basic living costs bump it up to something like 40K per year (with school fees). I will be going there in 2 months actually, not Cecil or Angel but the Russian Art Academy. When I was doing my research on the schools I felt that this was the best option for me.
No idea about the horror stories about Angel though, there are some really good and well known artists that came out of that school.
>>
What's so special about this? It's just another sight-size from life model can't draw from imagination atelier except with washier style than the regular stale over-rendered figures.
>>
>>3079811

It's special in the sense that this studio breeds excellence in every single student there. If you studied there you can be sure to actually make a very comfortable living from your art. You should probably stick to your animu waifus if you have that mindset about atelier education.
>>
>>3079851
I have that mindset about ateliers for many reasons, and none of them have to do with anime. For one, many of them obsess over sight-size because of some scant and often vague descriptions while ignoring the greater many historical quotes and examples that are not sight-size. A few set up shop in prestigious Italian cities and claim to be working in the Renaissance tradition, but a cursory look it's not really the case, and an in-depth study truly reveals the lies. They make a lot of noise about the human spirit, but most amount to nothing but painters of half-length or bust portraits of some David or Samantha or Jeff. I suppose that makes the money especially if you're a rich kid with rich networks, but that's half a fraction of past painters' ambition and capability.

I also have eyes to see, and it's almost funny if it wasn't so sad, to look at the close up of this Cecil's masterwork
>>
>>3079912

I agree that there's a big problem with the traditional academic universities that are around now and the ateliers but what else is someone supposed to do? There's no doubt they offer the best if not extremely similar training, they don't seem to teach a lot of diversity or any of that but they'll teach you what you need to know and get you on the path relatively quick.
>>
>>3078850
>the upcoming superstars of classical art

Ha ha ha!!! Do you know how ridiculous this sounds? It's the 21st century, how the fuck are classical artists 'upcoming stars'? Nigga all the stars of classical art that will ever exist are already dead. You'll be able to see their works in Florence for real whilst your getting fleeced.

Academies are for tourists.
>>
>>3080287

>>3080287 #

You're just being a contrarian. Ever heard of figure of speech? Go copy your Loomis and shitpost someplace else.The fact that you call an atelier academy is telling.
>>
>>3080287

Lol so where do artists go outside of academies and universities? Is there really a better and more productive alternative?
>>
File: Charles-H.-Cecil-Montegio.jpg (131KB, 1920x943px) Image search: [Google]
Charles-H.-Cecil-Montegio.jpg
131KB, 1920x943px
>>3078850
good bait

>inb4 education fags "durr it's not about skill"
>>
how much per year do you pay at watts?
>>
File: Studio-Gallery-30 (1).jpg (80KB, 580x773px) Image search: [Google]
Studio-Gallery-30 (1).jpg
80KB, 580x773px
>>3081517

>Posting a landscape by a portrait artist

Cherrypicking. Still a good painting even if it's out of the guy's comfort zone.
>>
File: Charles-Cecil-Glenn.jpg (217KB, 782x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Charles-Cecil-Glenn.jpg
217KB, 782x1024px
>>3081576
dude, why are you defending a hack
>>
any input, tips, help on applying for scholarships? I was thinking Italy or France maybe

I'm poor btw so I'll never be able to afford studying abroad
>>
>>3081576
>calls cherrypicking
>proceeds to cherry pick his best work
>probabyl still doesn't realize that the guy's best painting is not that great
>>
>>3081502
Self study online dude

>>3081576
>>3081585
Watts is better
>>
>>3079361
>there are some really good and well known artists that came out of that school.

Any in particular, anon?
>>
>>3079984
If you are already in Florence because it's the heart of the Renaissance, then commit yourself to studying the works there, including the drawings if you can, which are too heavily neglected by these hybrid ateliers. Spend as much time you can in their museums and immersing yourself in their written works on art and theory. In no time you will surpass an atelier-trained artist in spirit. Perhaps not so much in naturalism or modelling, but few of the old masters even attained this kind of naturalism.

The ateliers whether by design or not train into the mind of their students that the works, drawings and paintings, must be as naturalistic as possible. You can see in most works of the old masters, even those that appear to be drawn from a live model that there is a different, supranatural quality. The practitioners coming out of the ateliers perhaps realize this, so they frantically resort to adding certain quirks into their manner, but that does not quite fill the hole. Not that I'm advocating for stylism. It isn't a matter of style alone that produces this but a state of being.

Fix yourself to one definite goal and study it thoroughly. And do not be vague. If you say, like many "classical-realists," that your working manner is inspired by Renaissance, Baroque, Neo-classical, French and English academic style, early alla prima, American illustration, and whatever fits your fancy at the time, you will not attain any greatness of any because whatever spirit you are searching for will be stretched too thin, and you will have no confidence in your purpose.

If one truly wishes to work in the Florentine or some other manner, which I understand is not something probably most people seeking training in ateliers actually want to even as they mention it for reputation, then reading ancient works ought to be part of the curriculum. It will strengthen your creative mind and you should develop a finer taste for it.
>>
>>3082007
Right now I can only think of Cesar Santos, though there are others.

>>3082074
>In no time you will surpass an atelier-trained artist in spirit
I envy people who have the willpower to do it on their own, methodically and routinely. I cannot do that, I need the discipline and structure of a school/atelier environment keeps me focused.

>The ateliers whether by design or not train into the mind of their students that the works, drawings and paintings, must be as naturalistic as possible.
Yeah, unfortunately which ever school one might choose you aren't going to be learning everything about art. It might say that it teaches classical realism of the old masters but it doesn't - not really, because each school/atelier has a certain 'house style'. That's why so often it looks like the graduates' work could've been done by the same person because they all learned the same skills (and mistakes) from the same teachers. Which is the impression I got from Angel and Florence art academies.
>>
Boop
>>
>>3082007
>>3082205

Teresa Oaxaca, or however her last name's spelled
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.