[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it argued one must be good at anatomy in order to stylize?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

File: 1498340329642.jpg (95KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1498340329642.jpg
95KB, 1600x1200px
Why is it argued one must be good at anatomy in order to stylize? I thought the purpose of stylization was to avoid realism and to caricaturize.
>>
>>3078123
because if you dont even know what are you drawing how will you even stylize it?
>>
File: 1457471394736.png (284KB, 737x575px) Image search: [Google]
1457471394736.png
284KB, 737x575px
>>3078123
You gotta learn the rules to break the rules
>>
>>3078123
No, you need to be good at proportion and perspective.
>>
>>3078123
It's mostly just faggots trying to justify wasting their time and money going to art college
>>
File: 1495086002328.png (481KB, 960x553px) Image search: [Google]
1495086002328.png
481KB, 960x553px
shitty phrasing. heres a better thing to argue:

Never look at anime as an abstract version of realism. Just look at anime as its own 3d entity. Whose to say that big eye, ears, and mouth arent the norm, and that realism is the cartoon? Are you trying to imply that realism is harder to pull off? If someone learned to draw dogs their whole artistic career (not furries), wouldnt drawing humans seem hard to him, unlike with /ic/, with their humanist realistic view, where the humans are the first thing you learn? What about with burne hogarth, while he is a master of form and proportion, some people do not like his work because it is not 100% realistic, but why should that matter if all his fundamentals are right?
>>
>>3078139
ngmi
>>
>>3078145
I'm not speaking about only anime but you're post still applies to all stylizations. Thanks anon.
>>
>>3078123
you must be good at fundamentals in order to stylize properly, not just anatomy.
anatomy is actually the least of your concerns when it comes down to raw stylization of reality. perspective, line quality/economy, proportions, values, colors. this is all important fundamental stuff you want to learn in order to draw GOOD stylized artwork.
>>
>>3078145

>"Whose to say that :) isn't the norm, and that realism is the emoji? Are you trying to imply that realism is harder to pull off?"
>>
>>3078267
Lmao yeah that was quite cringe
>>
It's the same with stylized anatomy like Bridgman and Hampton. I found you learn a lot of funky habits by studying stylized and overly simplified anatomy instead of learning the actual shapes and volumes.
>>
>>3078267
>>3078287
again, this shows how retarded you guys are.

You fail to realize that the fundamentals of 3d form (perspective, construction, rendering), are not limited to realism. By saying this, you are implying human anatomy is a fundamental, which it is not, which is why i mention someone like burne hogarth, someone without 100% realistic anatomy, but is still a master at depicting the a figure.

You can learn to draw :) like this, where uses all the fundamentals of drawing, but is not limited to 100% realism,

Go fuck yourself. I hate smug underagefags like you that cant explain anything, and just hide behind memes.
>>
>>3078295 (You)
Also, another thing with your shitty fucking argument, is that your comparing :) to anime. If anime wasnt complicated, and was easy as drawing :), then that just btfo's your whole argument. THE THING YOU ARE TRYING TO ARGUE IS THAT ANIME IS HARD TO PULL OFF AND ITS NOT AS EASY AS :)

Good anime uses the fundementals of 3d form (perspective, construction, rendering)

You could even argue that the only difference between anime and realism is proportions. But no, youre just some fucking faggots who are like,
>DURR MUH LOOMIS MAYMAY
>GOT TO LEARN TO DRAW THIS! BEFORE THIS
>HERES A REDDIT CRINGE TIER CLEVER AANALOGY I SHAT OUT XD
>>
File: Shy_Kiyoi.png (25KB, 185x182px) Image search: [Google]
Shy_Kiyoi.png
25KB, 185x182px
>>3078295
>>3078305

t. /beg/ user out of his pen trying to give advice

----

good lord what a bad thread
>>
Style is a manipulation of a look. Anatomy is how parts fit together. They are both separate knowledge and achieve different things. You don't learn one to learn the other. They are separate categories.

>Why is it argued one must be good at anatomy in order to stylize?
Because the majority of young artists use "it's my style" as an excuse to not learn. So teachers and critics started to argue that style is bad for newbies, in order to force them to learn. Teachers and critics don't realize that's it not "style" that's holding them back, but that the young artists in question may as well be yelling "I'm just having fun, fuck off". The "style" excuse, is just an excuse. You can't turn everyone who draws into a serious art student. That's to say, not everyone is looking to learn. The entire argument is pointless. A serious student would study everything.
>>
>>3078333
>cant explain why im bad
>doesnt post work yet has the balls to call me a beginner
>namefag
Why the fuck are you incapable of explaining why im wrong then? if my words are so stupid, why cant you explaaaaaaaaain?

kys
>>
>>3078337
But you idiots think people are completely incapable of drawing anine without the use of fundies. This is stupid, if that were the case, people wouldnt be able to make 3d models of anime girls.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170729-111616.jpg (280KB, 902x1028px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170729-111616.jpg
280KB, 902x1028px
>>3078402
and to prove my point further. here is a 3d model of an anime face. If someone were to lesrn to draw this before realism, they would still have to know construction, perspective, rendering all before learning realism. You CAN draw this before studying realism, the proof is right here. Its a fucking 3d object. How much more retarded are people like >>3078333 are going to be?

Hence, why i say learning to draw anime before realism, is like learning to draw animals before humans. There is no wrong ord to do it, you are still studyong the fundamentals of 3d form.

Now are you nut lickers going to explain why im wrong or just type

>le beg XD
>>
>>3078402
>you idiots
Why are you grouping /ic/ together like a hivemind? Why do you think it's a giant single mass that constitutes a single being? Furthermore why are you pretending I'm arguing a point that I did not state?

>fundies
>anatomy
>realism
You have a misunderstanding. Realism is not anatomy. I know people take "anatomy" to mean many things at once, such as proportions, gesture, anatomy itself, and realism, as if it can all be umbrella'd under anatomy, but you need to realize these are all very different groups of study with all their own principles. They are not the same things. Anatomy is simply the study of how parts fit together and move. It has little to do with "realism", though you can apply realism principles to it and get very detailed. However you can also study anatomy at a very basic level without getting in specific muscles by focusing on the overall shape that muscle groups create, which is very simplified, but still teaches you how parts fit together. Anatomy is the study of parts fitting together. Not realism. Please stop using these words as if they can be interchanged when they cannot, thank you.
>>
File: 1485014249530.gif (2MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1485014249530.gif
2MB, 800x450px
>>3078407
> if my words are so stupid, why cant you explaaaaaaaaain?
I didn't bother to read your wall of text. I can tell you're retarded from just skimming.
>You CAN draw this before studying realism, the proof is right here. Its a fucking 3d object.
See my gif.

You can now proceed to off yourself back to /beg/.
>>
>>3078123
>I thought the purpose of stylization was to avoid realism and to caricaturize.

It's not.

and you style will look like shit if you don't understand the design you are trying to stylize.
>>
>>3078451
Oh I see
>>
>>3078407
>Not converting your tris to quads
Absolutely disgusting
>>
>>3078456
That remains to be seen.
>>
>>3078139
0/10
>>
>>3078145
It isn't totally realistic, no, but those big anime eyes are just big versions of HUMAN eyes, same with mouth, heads, hair, and ears.

>I'll just base my anime off of other anime!
The vast majority of successful anime is based on artistic fundamentals, so why not take from that as well as anime you like? It's the best of both worlds.

Trying to draw stylised humans without knowledge of real humans is like trying to adapt a book into a movie without having actually read the books. It's a pointless endeavour that will probably end in failure.
>>
>>3078139
You don't have to go to art college to build solid fundamentals. And speaking of justification, aren't these threads just an attempt to justify people who are too lazy to learn what it actually takes to become a good artist? People who want it the supposedly "easy" way?

Remember, there are plenty of arguments on /ic/ about whether fundamentals are worth it or not, but in the actual industry, there are zero to be found. That's because the people without fundamentals never make it that far.
>>
>>3078123
Gotta learn the rules before you can break them.
>>
>>3078462
Lol
>>
>>3078123
my mom cut this pic out of a magazine and pit it on our fridge.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.