[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you prevent your art from becoming lifeless? What makes

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (66KB, 1024x465px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66KB, 1024x465px
How do you prevent your art from becoming lifeless? What makes a piece of art "alive" in the first place?
>>
>>3075611
avoid earth tones at all times
>>
>>3075611
what you place on the page isn't automatically interesting just for *existing*. You need to compose the imagined 3d space (as a flat image) in an interesting way like a cinematographer would.

Stop placing objects "conveniently" overlap them, things will be obfuscated. Unless you're doing design work then you want clarity.

Posing, you can't have it all, ass, tits, face, crotch. you gotta pick your battles, trying to show *everything* has you flattening your pose.

For inventing dynamic figure posing, just a simple rule of thumb don't place the feet parallel, offset them. upper body and lower body, have them turned offset. On that, people understand vertical symmetry (left/right) but there is such a thing as horizontal symmetry(top/bottom) that can be overlooked. As in... people will gravitate toward left right asymmetry to mix things up, but accidentally make the top and bottom samey without realizing it.
>>
>>3075612
Hi tumblr
>>
It is all about composition.
>>
>>3075669
Great explanation.
To add to what you were saying, If a you want a figure to stand or move in a certain way you have to remember that in reality there's always a load carrying limb that is supporting a majority of the weight on a figure. and you have to accurately portray that interaction.
>>
>>3075611
avoid black. instead use dark neutral colors and blend them.

i see a lot of good concepts from artists. but they shade with black and it kills the entire image, taking away any atmospheric perspective. not saying you can't successfully paint an image with black, but a lot of people don't know how to control black shadows.
>>
>>3075611
It's one part visual interest and one part unteachable/talent. When drawing or painting from life don't mindlessly copy. Try to get artistic accuracy instead of mechanical accuracy.

>>3075612
you got cucked anon, pic/artist related
>>
>>3076321
>mechanical

Op avoid advice from anybody who uses the word mechanical when describing art. They have no idea how to draw or paint.
>>
>>3075838
Van Gogh's black was Crimson + Prussian Blue. You'll get a nice purplish result that doesn't look too negative.
>>
>>3076324
omg brian fuck off. nobody likes you. u SUCK.

"but van gogh"

"no"

shut up idiot.
>>
File: speed_harold_drawing.jpg (157KB, 650x879px) Image search: [Google]
speed_harold_drawing.jpg
157KB, 650x879px
>>3076323
I use it because Harold Speed uses it. And he knew how to fucking draw you troglodyte.
>>
>>3076326
i'll take that as a compliment.
>>
>>3076325
Jane you ignorant slut.
>>
>>3075612
Okay. I'll bite. Explain yourself.
>>
>>3075611
One: Composition. You can set your stage and characters and props to lead the eye around the painting, and indicate movement, energy, and drama. A lifeless painting is generally on a grid - everything horizontal and vertical, flat, no curves or angles. Moving the camera to an angle can liven things up - especially "hero" poses, from an angle, looking up.
Color - you can use color to create energy, lead the eye, and set mood and tone. Flat colors will work against this, which is why color choice and color theory is important. Black is over-abused, because beginners and untrained artists aren't taught that true black is rarely found in real life, most "black" in scenes is very dark values of colors - blues, purples, browns, etc. They can be warm, too.
Values: You can use value to highlight the focus of the painting, and create the illusion of depth and space. Like, in a landscape, lightening the values the further back objects are, like mountains, gives the illusion of distance - combined with perspective.
>>
>>3076356

anon.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>3076368
I'M SORRY. I couldn't help it.
>>
Composition and getting an interesting style

solution: practice as fk
>>
>>3075611

Composition, your image needs to have a clear path that guides the eyes through the images in a way that draws attention to the important bits and details of it, creating a some sort of story or action.
>>
>>3075611
take all your vertical and horizontal lines and tilt those bitches
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.