[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i get to sit in a video game studio while the art director mentors

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: C_b3BPWUQAEDIsU.png large.png (232KB, 553x711px) Image search: [Google]
C_b3BPWUQAEDIsU.png large.png
232KB, 553x711px
i get to sit in a video game studio while the art director mentors me for a couple days. dude is very good at digital painting and has already taught me a lot. what else should i ask him about?
>>
>>3073514
how do i draw like ruan jia and how long will it take me?
>>
>>3073514
ask him about his interest on anal
>>
ask him how to get gf
>>
Try networking.
It's not as if you're going to make some magical breakthrough in a few days.
Try to be interested and polite.
>>
Ask him how to sex...
>>
Tips on how to speedline your process from sketch to render, either traditionally or digitally.

And learn about lighting/shadows in greyscale, values.

Ask him what fundamentals you should focus on for the discipline you're entering, what he wishes he could go back and tell himself - I.e. What could best improve his art both technically and emotionally.
>>
>>3073631
>>3073702
thank for useful answers anons

goodnight
>>
File: qqgdvi0s2suy.png (101KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
qqgdvi0s2suy.png
101KB, 300x300px
>>3073619

>his face when
>>
>>3073702
He said: study fundamentals(light colour etc)
And spend time drawing what you want to draw. Because it's what you'll be best at, which could turn into a career, and because he doesn't have enough time to draw much for himself now that he has work to do instead of being a student
>>
>>3075699
Good to know! Back in highschool, had someone who ran a successful visual animation/dance company told me to be ready to knuckle under and do the grunt work because it'd be unlikely you'll land your dream job the first time you go looking. That, and my teachers who all say "fail and learn from the experience," make for some pretty cynical but realistic advice, job-wise I think.

It's encouraging you got mentored, you should hold onto that in and message him with questions periodically - you never stop learning and I'm sure it'd only be good for you to keep in touch. Maybe if you improve on the things your mentor said and ask him for critique/thoughts, he could hook you up with a gig after seeing you make progress and improve.

I like his tip on drawing what you'd like to draw. Just don't get drowned out by all the other anime girls if that's your meat and potatoes - find something different/more interesting.

Stay strong anon, I hope you make it.
>>
>>3073514
I think just watching him work would be great. Try to look at his hand movements, how he uses his tools, how he approaches things and ask him questions regarding why he chooses to do the things he does.
>>
File: 1432276093134.gif (494KB, 270x267px) Image search: [Google]
1432276093134.gif
494KB, 270x267px
>>3076749
aw thanks anon, sending 'making it' vibes your way too

>>3076764
didn't look at his hand movements, unfortunately, but i asked a lot of questions over the course of the days

some of what he told me:

he didn't go to art school and self-taught himself around 20something years old with stuff like nathan fowkes schoolism coures and gnomon vids.
i was surprised how many names i recognized from this board's favourites. like claire wendling and mullins and so on.

the program 'sketchpad' has a built in perspective tool. he uses it a lot when planning environments, then he takes the guidelines and puts them into photoshop to paint the actual picture over. apparently he had a ton of enviroments to churn out in a short space of time and this isn't uncommon

but you should still learn perspective. tools, not crutches.

listen to concept artist interviews, they usually list off their favourite artists and then you have some new guys/gals to look up

he usually spends one day on a linework and another day painting it, at least the environment stuff he showed me

when painting a study, paint zoomed out so you can get the overall thing right first

go to video game networking events, people can't hire you if they don't know you exist

finished stuff has more impact than a sketch, and normies often do not realise the amount of skill a sketch takes unless you slap some polish on it

he uses photoshop's coolorus tool and likes it a lot

an artstation account is worth getting

there aren't a lot of concept artists, proportionately, compared to everyone else(animators, designers, etc) in a video game studio.

freelance pays a lot more because you charge by the hour, but it's also more inconsistent and that and the anxiety makes up the difference

it's over now but i had a lot of fun!
>>
>>3077414
>*sketchbook. autodesk sketchbook. not sketchpad
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.