[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to start drawing But before I jump into it Is it a good

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1451084564236.jpg (83KB, 500x714px) Image search: [Google]
1451084564236.jpg
83KB, 500x714px
I want to start drawing
But before I jump into it
Is it a good or a bad idea to start digitally (because that is what Im interested in) and never do anything the traditional way?
Or doesn't matter, you should always start with paper and pencil?
I already have a draw tablet, not mine but still
>>
Just do it
Fuck
>>
>>3073142
I don't want to learn bad habits right at the beginning that I have to unlearn later on
>>
>>3073143
Just pick up a pencil and paper and look up a guide for basics, try drawing every example the guide shows.
>>
>>3073148
but I want to start digitally, the question is, is this a bad idea, or do you have to start the traditional way, as you suggested, with paper and pencil

will I cripple myself in some way if I start digitally isntantly?
>>
>>3073141
> Is it a good or a bad idea to start digitally (because that is what Im interested in) and never do anything the traditional way?
Yes, it is bad. Traditional drawing helps you to think more before drawing, Therefore, it will be cleaner.
>>
>>3073151
I started drawing from a young age without all the digital stuff so I can't really tell you from experience, I think you should learn basic stuff with pencil and pen before buying the equipment for digital.
I don't think you'll cripple yourself for learning strictly digital. You'll probably rely on more tools from drawing digital tho (undo is a gift from god)
>>
>>3073154
>before buying the equipment for digital
I already have equipment, I didn't buy it
>>
File: 3925b.jpg (188KB, 966x1417px) Image search: [Google]
3925b.jpg
188KB, 966x1417px
>>3073141 The thing is, almost everything if not everything you learn the traditional way translated well into digital but no the other way around, digital has a HUGE ammount of advantages and shortcuts, with traditional you have to be careful of not messing up depending of the materials you are using, i.e paint

I believe what i said is exactly what you want to know, i would recommend to go traditional first but its your choice, if the urge of going digital is bigger than traditional then there you go, but remember that u will have to stick to digital since, like i said before, the skills you learn in digital won't translate the same way to traditional

pic not related
>>
>>3073714
Jesus christ, my english is retarded, this is what i get for not double checking
>>
>>3073151

You won't 'cripple yourself' starting digitally, don't fret over 'crippling' yourself as a beginner because mileage is way more important than any given technique at the start. You can learn good technique as you go. The only real way a beginner tends to 'cripple themself' is with self doubt that prevents them from just putting pen (/stylus) to paper(/tablet). Still, I think you should do both. You'll learn things drawing traditionally that will influence your digital workflow.

Personally I think a purely traditional artist who picks up a tablet will be able to produce something nicer digitally (given a few hours to familiarize himself) than a digital who picks up a sketchbook will produce traditionally. The tools offered by digital just create a kind of workflow that doesn't translate over to traditional (IE the ability to undo, to warp, to lasso, to adjust values, etc) whereas a traditional artist can generally replicate their flow quite easily digitally (and then enhance it with those tools, as well).

In a nutshell: If you just want to do digital, no, starting digitally won't "cripple you" as far as digital art is concerned. The ease with which you can transfer skills is, however, greater from traditional to digital than digital to traditional. If you got really good at digital and someone slapped a sketchbook in front of you, you might find your skillset is more limited than you'd like without the tools digital offers.
>>
Good trad will translate much better into new digital than the opposite. Also, undo function is hard not to abuse when trying to get the right line, and encourages rapid-fire thoughtless lines that will stunt your line confidence and control, compared to a drawn line which you must spend several seconds erasing after (which will automatically make you more careful in placing it) or which you can't really erase at all (e.g. pen, which I see recommended as a good line confidence builder for newfriends a lot).
I'd say learn basic fundies trad, and once you switch to digital, and if you want to stay flexible, keep half of your warm-ups and studies trad so you don't forget how to put lead on paper.
This is how I've decided to study, and I do feel more grounded as a shitter drawing my perspectives with pencil on paper.
>>
>>3073141
No time for useless blabbering potion seller, I need one of your strongest potions!
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.