[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>when the main thing holding you back from becoming a popular

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

File: sadpanda.jpg (60KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
sadpanda.jpg
60KB, 500x333px
>when the main thing holding you back from becoming a popular artist is the sheer amount of attention whoring and social media work it takes to get noticed
>>
>>3071758
JUST
>>
>>3071763
just what?
>>
>>3071774
DO IT
>>
>>3071779
Some of us have lives, anon. And/or aren't social to begin with. I realized that one of the most crucial things in being a popular artist is consistency; you can't just flake and disappear every so often, because unless you fill some super specific niche people will forget about you easily. You're just one fish in an endless sea.
>>
>>3071783
How much hours do you spend on your life anon
>>
Sure, *that's* the problem.
>>
>>3071758
Y-yeah, that's what's holding you back, your art's really good it's just muh social media....
>>
File: tumblr_nnwgdnSr8y1t3nanko1_500.png (130KB, 500x690px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nnwgdnSr8y1t3nanko1_500.png
130KB, 500x690px
>>3071796
>>3071801
I've noticed it with a friend of mine, too. She draws pretty nice looking anime art, Pokemon, etc. that seems like it would appeal to the masses (pic related is her art) yet struggles with commissions and obtaining a popularity level that matches her skills (she only has like 30 twitter followers after a few years). Even though she's serious about being a popular online artist and getting commissions she doesn't post every day, and often leaves social media for weeks or months at a time. I'm pretty sure that's a big thing holding her back. If she posted like 5 times a day every day with art like hers she could easily get "popular" but finding the time/commitment is hard for a lot of people.
>>
>>3071758
It's the same with any independent field of work, really. Either you go the public appeal route, which takes consistent branding and high-level skill, or you try to get into the right kind of environment and socialize your way into the position you want.

I've gotten to know a couple of people connected to newspapers and even a company that does festival organization through university, and it's pretty depressing how easy it was to get job offers regardless of my technical shortcomings. I don't *want* to become yet another mediocre artist who doesn't have to improve because they've already made it, but the sad reality is that most people don't have that kind of mindset, and they'll take whatever they can grab.
Turns out normies don't give a shit about excellence. Just give them an excuse to feel good about themselves for helping out their "friends", and as long as you aren't unreasonably incompetent you can get into most mid-tier positions.
>>
>>3071816
>cant get commisions drawing pokemons or more of that same old anime
hmm it really makes you think
>>
>>3071864
I hope you're not implying she's not getting commissioned because she draws them "pokemons or more of that same old anime". I know a girl who draws worse than her but is actually an attention whore so she gets a lot of Pokemon commissions in our current year 2017.

Not OP btw.
>>
>>3071816
>If she posted like 5 times a day every day with art like hers

That's way overkill. In fact most people would probably stop following you if you did that because it'd start to feel more like spam to them than anything else.

1 upload a day is already pushing it if you want to have some degree of quality. Most of the super popular artists upload 1-3 times a week, that seems to be the sweet spot as far as consistency goes.
>>
>>3071869
how much does she get paid for them?
>>
>>3071872
I know a lot of popular artists on e.g. Twitter are social media queens, they post their sketches and doodles throughout the day as well as pictures of their pets, food, etc. and they have thousands of followers. I agree with your numbers on sites like tumblr, deviantart, etc. though (assuming the pieces are completed works rather than sketches).
>>
>>3071758
I made a blog for my really shitty work 4 days ago and I already have 10 followers

The key isn't whoring its constantly making content, which I'm sure is your real problem
>>
>>3072614
Wow 10 followers?

Man, this guy knows it all.
>>
>>3072648
At this rate I will have hundreds by the end of the year.

Bow down to me mortal
>>
>>3072660
Yeah, get back to me on that scrub. :>)
>>
>>3072673
You got it kohai, I will remember your words of encouragement!
>>
>>3071758
Does she spams? Its easy, comment something on others publications, whatever, and people with small accounts will click on ur profile. Its easy. Now do this everyday for months and you will get some base to start, like 1000 followers in one year. When you reach 1000, ur grow becames natural if you have good art. Simple as fuck.
>>
File: 123127838328n.jpg (19KB, 438x374px) Image search: [Google]
123127838328n.jpg
19KB, 438x374px
>>3071758
>Too lazy to work.
>Consider posting art on social media "work".
>Too scared/ lazy to move beyond comfort zone of grandmas basement and go outside.
>Call networking attention whoring to make myself feels betters.
>Play victim on 4chan
>>
>>3071758
>>Artists making excuses for why their not popular. If your art was good, then you'd be famous.
>>
its fun to be a nobody though. in my opinion you should put off being in the spotlight as long as possible. if you get attention before your 30s odds are you'll be nobody in a year
>>
>>3071758
>when the main thing holding you back from fucking 10/10 super models is the sheer amount of attention whoring and social media work it takes to get noticed
>>
>>3072722
Or maybe a lot of it is actually attentionwhoring and shy and/or awkward people just aren't good at self-promotion? You also lose points by not being a cute gril, so there's that handicap, too.
>>
>>3071758
>Some of us have lives and aren't social.

I don't get it.
What's so difficult about posting work, commenting on other artist's work w/o the
"p-pls check out my blog too senpai" bullshit
and just having fun?
All it takes is responding to notifications on your phone as you go throughout your day and making polite conversation when someone actually takes interest in your work.

Besides the prospect of being hired for monies, why do you want to be noticed if you don't like the social aspect of it anyway?
>>
When's the best time to start social media shit?

Personally I'm a complete beginner artist and think I shouldn't start a profile until I'm really good but is that the right approach?
>>
>>3072915
You pretty much get what you put out, anon.

>Post amateur work, expect to receive harsh criticism, and pretty much be ignored; with the exception that other artists who are on the same or (even lower) level will talk to you. (Maybe you'll luck up and be pals with someone who's "intermediate" and can give tips, but it's likely a long-shot if you're not mutuals due to other reasons besides art skill).

>Wait until you're at least "intermediate", you're more likely to receive constructive criticism, compliments, and buddy up with other intermediate level artists.
>>
File: 3925b_by_pascalcampion-daak2fb.jpg (188KB, 966x1417px) Image search: [Google]
3925b_by_pascalcampion-daak2fb.jpg
188KB, 966x1417px
I made an instagram account like a month ago and started posting, the only thing that i know is how to spam hashtags so i only got 30 followers, besides commenting on other people's work how should i proceed? How often should i post? I used to be able to make 3 drawings a day but now that i got "better" i finally noticed that it takes time to make a decent piece instead of drawing incomplete turds now i make polished turds, i can make one or two now but it takes me at least 3 hours each, is posting once a day enough, should i post more or maybe less? My focus are portraits and i kind of go between semi realism and kind of anime-ish

Pic not related
>>
>>3072838
ngmi
>>
>>3072930
Eh, I'll wait a bit. My cousin told me I was already intermediate, but I think he was just being nice.
>>
>>3072937
You can be a top tier pro, and earn serious money without having any social media presence whatsoever.

Most working professionals are complete unknonws.
>>
>>3071758
Just do graffiti and be like cantwo, copetwo, futura, etc..
>>
>>3071758
Iktf. I just cant bring myself to do that. It almost makes my art feel insincere, like I'm solely doing it for the attention and by extension money.
Selling out is so easy to do when you go down that greedy Jew path. I can never succumb to that. I'd rather stay unknown then resort to it.
>>
File: can9.jpg (241KB, 1479x660px) Image search: [Google]
can9.jpg
241KB, 1479x660px
>>3073032
Forgot pic cuz phone.
But yeah, pretty much this.
Ditch your fancy tablet and learn how spraypaint works.
>>
>>3071758
http://redmatsumoto.tumblr.com

I have 800. I hope I reach 1000 soon.
>>
>>3073312
if you go platinum, it's got nothing to do with luck
it just means that a million people are stupid as fuck
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.