[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have any of you ever been anorexic? The way /ic/ talks about

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: image002.jpg (16KB, 701x378px) Image search: [Google]
image002.jpg
16KB, 701x378px
Have any of you ever been anorexic?
The way /ic/ talks about how many hours you need to put into art reminds me a lot of how anorexic patients are obsessed with numbers (calories, .lbs, and measurements)
People say anorexia is just a way of coping by allowing the victim to avoid thinking about whats truly bothering them.
Does being obsessed with art and working long hours keep you from dealing with things that are troubling you?
>>
>>3071449
No because the long hours and improving in said art tend to be even more troubling than a shitload of minor problem in life. It's not like being a dumb girl who only has to exist on less consumed energy. Artists who are serious about what they do are obsessive about it because its a passion that pays off in satisfaction despite being an intense labor of love and a lot of actual commitment.
>>
>>3071459
are you sure that's not your disorder talking?
>>
>>3071449
what the fuck does one thing have to do with another? are you asking if artists forget to eat because of hours?
>>
>>3071483
I'm asking because its the same kind of thought pattern.
They're both extremely competitive and revolve around numbers.
They are both an obsession.
They both revolve around an image.

I'm wondering if anyone has suffered from anorexia, as if maybe their old thought pattern manifested into a new hobby- that hobby being art.
>>
>>3071449
Sure. I enjoy counting numbers and when getting hungry I tend to draw until Im mentally exhausted. I also reinforce my views of my aesthetic beauty preference with my choice references, lots of skinny boney people.
>>
I used to be really obsessed with leaving money in my bank account and not touching it... but one day my manager told me she was in debt and when I inadvertently mentioned how much was in there, she thought I was propositioning her. She ended up stealing money and we both had to take lie detector tests. That experience really triggered my depression as a teenager for some reason. In contrast at the same job, whenever someone would compliment my drawings it improved my whole day. So in some sense there was a transition.
>>
>>3071510
Like on the one hand it would have been messed up if I had paid to sleep with my manager, but I still felt like it was my fault that she stole the money... No one ever got me off the hook for that and I felt equally guilty.
>>
>>3071500
u ok bro??
>>
>>3071487
you're still talking about to entirely different things that have zero to do with one another.
>>
File: image.jpg (71KB, 775x434px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71KB, 775x434px
>>3071562
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transference
>>
>>3071487
>They're both extremely competitive
Do anorexic people compete with each other over whose more skin and bones?
>and revolve around numbers.
When did art revolve around numbers?
>They are both an obsession.
How is spending hours improving a skill an obsession? By that logic people who work/study for hours are also obsessed.
>They both revolve around an image.
Art is about producing various images. Anorexia is about achieving a single distorted body image.
>>
>>3071564
>Does being obsessed with art and working long hours keep you from dealing with things that are troubling you?
Uhh, yeah
Anorexia isn't one of lmao this thread
>>
>>3071510
You're gonna have to elaborate anon. What do you mean she thought you were propositioning her? What kind of job did you have where you actually took a lie detector test??
>>3071579
What's troubling you anon? :l
>>
>>3071449
were fat from tendies, retard. Not me though, fph represent.
>>
>>3071583
Please excuse me if I've been vague, there's no anorexic issue but as a teenager I was working as a cashier at a convenience store. My boss had a business degree but wasn't making as much as she thought she deserved. When she heard how much I'd saved, she basically wanted to prostitute herself in order to pay a debt of about $2500. I didn't pursue her or give her money, so a few weeks later at shift change she took the money from the safe and then claimed it was "stolen". So even though I knew my boss was guilty, the police show up and I have to witness her telling some absurd lies. I was more or less forced into a lie detector chair... I passed the test but I had to incriminate my boss. The whole event made me feel like a criminal and I couldn't enjoy saving as much as I did before, so I started spending more or I'd give out huge tips at restaurants, while getting progressively more and more deep into art. There was a real transference at that point from the joys of money to the joy of art.
>>
>>3071626
That's an interesting story anon. I wonder why you feel so guilty when you did nothing wrong? I guess being treated like a criminal can make you feel like one but you should know that you didn't deserve that.
Maybe it was a bit traumatizing.
>>
>>3071449
POST YOUR WORK
>>
>>3071632
If you've ever been strapped into a lie detector chair, you'll know what it feels like. I had to sit there and offer yes or no answers directly in front of a wall, while this fat cop stared at my profile -- then I was obliged to betray my boss's confidence, so it was a perfectly wretched experience. I was already familiar with Hitchcock films at the time and had developed a horror concerning wrongful accusations.
>>
>>3071449
i don't think that's the thing with the obsession with hours /ic/ has. i think it's just that newbs without teachers are kind of lost and directionless, even if they're doing lessons from some book there's no-one to tell them if they're doing it correctly. so they latch onto 'just do this one easy thing' type solutions, and 'if i just do it for x hours and i'll be good!' is the easiest thing of all, no thought required.
>>
>>3071626
S you were saving your own money in a safe at the workplace?
>>
>>3071578
>How is spending hours improving a skill an obsession? By that logic people who work/study for hours are also obsessed.
That's right though.
>>
>>3071449
I don't care about hours, I draw for fun, yo. The moment art stops being fun is the moment I stop
>>
>>3071449
>Does being obsessed with art and working long hours keep you from dealing with things that are troubling you?
yes
But that's just a side effect, I obsess with art and work hard because I love art and want to get good.
>>
>>3071480
>>3071449
Please fuck off back to Tumblr if you don't know the difference between an overblown illness and a lifelong commitment.

Guess what, the numbers do matter, calories, pounds whatever. 99% of people who care about these things aren't holocaust reenacters but healthy and happy people.
>>
>>3071701
Ngmi
>>
>>3071686
Im assuming he meant the boss stole from the store
>>
>>3071992
>>3071686
Oh for fucks sake, here is what had happened to him in greentext
>have money saved in bank
>boss finds out about it
>she is in dept so attempts to hoe herself out for someone of them cash dollars
>she gets rejected by OP he keeps his cash
>she feels entitled to the money so attempts to steal money from the store and blame it on him
>they take a lie detector test and she gets found out
>op uses this as an excuse to be retarded with his income
>>
The more I worry about money and the future, the more pressure I put on myself to start making money from art instead of my current job. The more pressure I'm under, the less art I do and the more I avoid and procrastinate.

I'm a very neat, organised, obsessive compulsive person, diagnosed with something that's not quite autism and paranoid about people from life experience. With art though, I feel liberated from these things. I paint loosely and love it, wander my lines around the page like visual daydreaming instead of careful autistic perspective grids or whatever. And I enjoy talking with artists more than anyone else and feel more relaxed around them.

I don't really have a point to this post other than offering up my situation for whatever conclusions it's worth, but I'd say anorexia and art are related but not as directly as you think. Perhaps they can both be a healthy hobby or interest taken too far, and imagined pressures or impossible standards can damage the person.

If done with the right mindset though, art can be a relief and improvement from existing mental issues. I do my best work when it's for me and for fun, so I try my best to ignore any pressure of hours or followers or any numbers and just paint good work.
>>
File: fag.png (12KB, 634x303px) Image search: [Google]
fag.png
12KB, 634x303px
>>3071449

???
>>
>>3071449
As someone with an ED who also does art the sensations are different. The art is an obsessive desire to make forward progress with a skill the eating is a disgust with my own body image and with food as a whole. Social anxiety is also part of it as eating is a social disorder
>>
I don't think I'm obsessed (I'm only doing this as a hobby hoping to improve myself) but I get geniunely angry if I don't have privacy to draw. I try my best to draw every day, if I'm unable to that ruins my mood

I think it's a little unhealthy
>>
>>3071449
first we had the thread asking if /ic/ was fat... now we have the thread asking if /ic/ is anorexic. what the fuck. why.
>>
>>3071459
fpbp
>>
File: IMG_0863.jpg (35KB, 360x491px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0863.jpg
35KB, 360x491px
>>3072119
Must suck doing art with erectile dysfunction, does drawing naked models make you feel frustrated?
>>
>>3071449
No, I'm not a neurotic woman.
>>
>>3071449
nah senpai it's just autism here
>>
>>3071696
>People who work/study for hours are also obsessed
Have you ever worked ? Studied ?
Except if you're some kind of genius who have a exceptional memory, if you don't study and work for at least a few hours you'll never get nowhere
>>
>>3072218
Most models are flaccid sir at least for all the ones I've attended and until I sit In front of them anyway.
>>
File: 1426995258708s.jpg (6KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1426995258708s.jpg
6KB, 250x250px
>>3071480
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.