[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How hard is it to become a biology/animal illustrator for a known

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Animal_Illustration5.jpg (261KB, 850x616px) Image search: [Google]
Animal_Illustration5.jpg
261KB, 850x616px
How hard is it to become a biology/animal illustrator for a known institution?

Does anyone has experience in this?
>>
File: file.png (58KB, 175x149px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
58KB, 175x149px
>>
>>3068116
Almost impossible. I've talked to a couple of professional wildlife illustrators and while they were all encouraging, it's not very likely that you'd be able to do something like that for a living, especially not in house. Very few institutions hire full time illustrators because they don't need them as much.

It's also highly recommended to get a related degree, much more so than any other branch of illustration.

How's your skill level? Wanna post something? If not, it's fine, just curious.
>>
File: Two-Chickadees.jpg (127KB, 1000x727px) Image search: [Google]
Two-Chickadees.jpg
127KB, 1000x727px
>>3068356
Something like pic related(watercolor, line and wash style), wanna do that for museum or biology magazines. I am not necesserily interested in making money of it, but for contributing my art to them, using my art for they scientic results.
>>
>>3068392
Try applying to the Cornell internship and look for similar opportunities.
If you can't commit to a degree, look for a certificate or at least study animals on your own. Look up textbooks on general zoology or whatever your specific interest is and pay extra attention to anatomy.

Copying animals from photos is easy, any half decent artist can do it, you need to really understand animals to be a good wildlife illustrator.
>>
this is actually interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a kind of question like this on here. I don't have any advice though, good luck.
>>
>>3068608
Yeah I feel the same, sounds really interesting anon, I'm kind of inspired.
>>
>>3068392
>Reply
Find a school that has active studies in the kind of work you want to do. Attend school there, volunteer.
Also, occasionally, research programs will hire illustrators to work on-site, like aboard a research vessel in the Antarctic a friend told me about, and I read the listing about. Basically, the researchers would be capturing small animals, like krill, and you'd be drawing them, looking at them through a microscope. VERY low pay, but room and board on the ship, and credit towards school.
You can get started on your own, go to your local zoo, and start sketching every animal, reptile, bird, and amphibian they have.
This kind of work is going to be for zoos, musuems, preservation societies, colleges, and maybe the government. Jobs are far and few between, competition is high, and you have to be good, accurate, and fast.
You might also want to look around for animal-based websites and offer to do some illustration for free.

Good luck. It's not wrong to want to do this kind of work, but it's a dying art. Photography is replacing it.
>>
>>3068116
can you tell me the name of the book my g
>>
>>3068800
Full-Color Decorative Bird Illustrations CD-ROM and Book (Dover Electronic Clip Art)
>>
>>3069232
thanks
>>
>>3068775
Photography is replacing realism in scientific, thats why it has become more viable illustrating for advertising, editorial, videogames and film, because in these times the utility with drawing and illustration is to escape the phyisical laws thats why ill do an stylized realism for games instead
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.