[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw wanted to draw since the beginning of summer >overload

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (6KB, 168x168px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
6KB, 168x168px
>tfw wanted to draw since the beginning of summer
>overload my brain with information
>watch countless hours of videos how to draw figures, hands, how to draw a comic book page
>two months go by
>not a single drawing done

How do I fix this? I always feel like I'm not ready
>>
>>3065353
> watch countless hours of videos how to draw figures, hands, how to draw a comic book page
> not a single drawing
> How do I fix this?
You know the answer.
Also NGMI.
>>
>>3065353
>>3065356
Just draw
>>
File: explainingautism.png (224KB, 406x363px) Image search: [Google]
explainingautism.png
224KB, 406x363px
>>3065353
>Wants to draw
>Does not draw
>>
>>3065362
It's not that he doesn't want to draw. He likes the idea of drawing more than actually drawing. Once you realize this either he gets in gear (immediately) or drops it completely. Choice is his. If "beginning of summer" means anything then all hope is probably lost. I think it's normal for a lot of beginners/pre-beginners (at least from observing my friends)
>>
>>3065353
Draw.
Once you start it'll be easier. But you might get frustrated, which will make it harder.
Try to look at drawing a certain way: You're exploring things. You're exploring your subject, you're exploring your skill. You're exploring and experimenting, and should have fun with mistakes and failures, instead of feeling bad about them.
It's good to absorb information, but you obviously have a solid ground. It's better to make mistakes first. Once you have the "field experience", you are better able to absorb the most relevant information of videos, books, etc.
I think it's good to have some kind of instruction for drawing at the start. Just to orient yourself so you don't feel like "I have no fucking clue what to draw".
So get a book with exercises, like Keys to Drawing or Fun With a Pencil (find 'em in the art book thread), go through them and do the exercises.
Get to it, draw now!
>>
>>3065364
I've tried drawing, it's just annoying that I keep wasting my time watching all these videos and lurking on /ic/ while I should draw more. I'm unsure of how to practice and how I can get closer to my ultimate goal of creating a comic book.
>>
>>3065353
All of that was just procrastination, OP. You're making yourself feel like you're doing something but you're just pushing off the actual thing.

Like >>3065364 said. You're finding entertainment in learning about drawing than doing it. It's not the same thing at all. It's a new thing, scary yes but exciting too. You're going to learn a new skill. Think of all the possibilities. Go try it out.
>>
>>3065372
What are you working on currently? It's good to have a clear idea of what you want to achieve. Try to set a curriculum for yourself. Week 1, practice this, week 2, practice something else. If it's something broad like figure drawing, break it down. Maybe practice heads first, starting with eyes, then mouth, etc.

If you parse it out this way, you will have progress to look forward to everyday. You won't be aimless anymore and won't feel like your time is wasted.
>>
God damn just stop masturbating, or put down the damn vidya and just fucking draw. It's not that hard. Just draw. I'm like two seconds away from being the Shia LeDouche video but it really is that easy.
Just fffffnnfnndndn DO IT!
>>
>>3065353
You supposed to watch videos so that afterwards you can internalize information through drawing. Take notes, but most importantly draw what you learn or it'll just be a waste of time
>>
D R A W
R
A
W
>>
>>3065396

This faggot. Go on /i/ or on of the my style/your style threads.
>>
>>3065353
Draw simple volumes (cubes, spheres, cylinders) and attempt to arrange them so that they mean something (like everyday objects you see in your room). It's a very easy process to break down and it's not scary at all. You're going to fail and that's ok, just get in the idea that you only have to commit to the flow, not the actual drawings. That comes later.

Remember that ellipses are cut in half by their minor axis. It's important while drawing cylinders etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaZmwHU7vZo

Let the instruction take a backseat when you're drawing, just draw and after you're done look at your art and ask yourself questions about it, if you've studied well you'll be able to tell what's wrong.
>>
>>3065353
Go to an atelier. Check out the ARC website for a list of them.
>>
>>3065364
I don't know how many will get to read this but I was in that situation too. The main thing which was stopping me from actually drawing was the fact that I experienced in a summer when I was a kid what it means to draw because I was drawing along somebody else who knew how to draw and directed me. Afterwards, a few years later, each time I tried to pick it up I felled it was not the same thing. Each drawing back then was so lacking in effort and at the same time it was hard enough for me to learn something new but easy enough to be enjoyable. When I tried to pick it up on my own I was either feeling it was too easy and I was not learning anything, or too hard and again, was not learning anything.

But now I can actually put effort into drawing because I found a balance. I just focus on reproducing shapes I see, while trying to memorize them. And another trick to stop myself from procrastinating by worrying if my effort is well spend is to tell myself
>today I will not achieve anything
at the start of the day, and then just start drawing whatever I feel like, because I know ''today is not a day when i am suppose to learn anything anyway''.

Atm drawing for me doesn't feel anymore like a chore anymore, but neither is more fun than video games let's say so it has become a matter of ''do I want to waste my time with video games or drawing today?'' This part I fight it by thinking of reasons why whatever game I feel like playing is shit even though thru games I learned what part I like about drawing.

After using item randomizer on dark souls and made the game for myself so much fun, I realize that by picking a subject at the start of the day and then trying to learn to draw it was actually draining the fun out of drawing for me. So now I use the slideshow function in irfanview where I select ''random after mouse/keyboard imput''. Like that I never know what pic or subject will be in the next pic from my ''over 200.000 pic folders'' .
>>
>>3065353
I was drawing on a bench today and the oddest thing happened -- a German chick stopped mid-stride and commented on my drawings -- it happens but I only ever expect Asians to do that. Her friend really liked a sketch that resembled herself as an older woman. Anyway amid the usual compliments, big eyes and smiles, she told me she has a sketchbook at home but never uses it! Somehow that seemed sadder to me than not owning a sketchbook.

I told her to use a non-photo blue pencil, because it's thick enough to lay in shapes quickly but sharp enough to refine them. You'll cover much more territory that way.
>>
>>3065353
>How do I fix this? I always feel like I'm not ready

don't expect anything with the outcome. You do it and that's that. Then you do it again, and again.

you take what you learned from those videos, apply them the best you can and take a swing at it.
>>
?
have you never considered drawing as you watched the videos
>>
>>3065353
>watching videos and tutorials before actually drawing

What the actual fuck

That's not how it works you fucktard

It's not fucking maths, no one can just tell you how to draw and then make you able to do it just because you're well versed in the raw knowledge component of it

What kind of backwards ass bullshit is this
>>
>>3069699
>That's not how it works you fucktard
It's like someone thinking they're a hockey player because I watched the playoffs.

Real advice- go to open model sessions as often as possible. You will draw because people around you are drawing, and if you don't they'll think you're a sex offender.
>>
File: 1497838975005.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1497838975005.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>3065353
OP do you live in the US? If so which state? I can honestly help you get your feet going. You just need a little help with actually drawing, and that's an easy remedy. The hard part is sticking with it.
>>
File: 1435969756750.png (77KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1435969756750.png
77KB, 500x500px
>>3065364
>mental blocks dont exist
>therefore he must not like drawing!
>>
>>3065353
Literally me. I don't want to start since I know that I have at least 500 hours of grinding fundies before I can start drawing something that pleases me.
>>
>>3069972
You could have at least 499 hours in an hour if you start now.
>>
For lent I stopped playing video games one year and then this most recent lent I just stopped using all devices entirely. Those things are big distractions from drawing. It sounds uninteresting since it takes hours with little stimulation but you adapt to like it more than anything else if you keep at it
>>
>>3066653
>today I will not achieve anything
Don't do this.
>>
>>3065353
Glad I didn't do that all summer.
>>
>>3070123
>stopped using all devices entirely
>how the fuck did you post this
>>
>>3070351
Half these people are roleplaying out the plans they never commit to themselves.
>>
>>3065353
start by copying stuff from photos 1:1, that's what initially made me learn to draw
>>
>>3070366
>>3070351
It isn't lent anymore you retards.
>>
>>3065353
You don't get fit from watching fitness videos. You take what you see and apply it to yourself. FUCK ANON EVEN IF YOU DIDN'T WATCH ANYTHING AND JUST DECIDED TO DRAW WITHOUT ANY PROPER TECHNIQUE YOU'D HAVE MADE MORE PROGRESS BY NOW.

FUCKING KYS
>>
>>3065353
>>overload my brain with information
>>watch countless hours of videos how to draw figures, hands, how to draw a comic book page
>>two months go by
>>not a single drawing done
Now all you have to do is pretend to be a pro critic and start shitting on everyone's art and you'll be a regular d/ic/k...
You'll fit right in here.
>>
this thread helped me alot lol
>>
>>3071117
Yeah, me too.
>>
>>3065356
New to /ic/.
What does NGMI mean?
See it get tossed everywhere.
>>
>>3075020
>can't even google
You're Not Gonna Make It.
>>
>>3075020
It means "not/never gonna make it."
>>
>>3065353
Dude imagine doing this for any sport

You can sit inside all day and watch people explain how to shoot a hoop or throw a ball, but the vast majority of it comes through physical practice and developing the muscle memory and intuition.
>>
>>3069972
You're not ever going to get there if you don't start faggo
>>
>>3065353
I was like you - I always thought I was never gonna start but eventually it's the only thing you can think about.
>>
>>3065353
i think instructional videos are entertaining, even if you don't partake in the activity. just accept that you like the videos and give up on the actually doing art part.

why not consider a profession in producing instructional videos, surely you have a passion for them, and have developed an idea about what is good and bad in the world of instructional videos. perhaps while you thought you were learning about art, you were learning more about your real passion, watching videos.
>>
You're never going to be ready until you actually learn to draw.

Actually learning to draw involves actually drawing.

I've said it before on here but I stand by it - imagine tutorials and videos and books as a multiplier. Imagine for every hour you draw, a tutorial on that subject makes it 0.25% more effective. This is an abstraction, obviously, you can't actually put that shit into concrete numbers.

So if you draw for an hour without tutorials, you're at 1. With tutorials, you're at 1 hour and 15 minutes.

If you draw for 0 hours? That's right, you're at fucking zero. All theory and no practice is as good as worthless.

The worst thing you can do as a beginner is try to find the 'optimal' way. I know the feeling, I was the same way when I started. I wasted far too much fucking time trying to get the best bang for my buck at a point when the best bang for my buck was putting in the hours. Start worrying about efficient learning practices when you're an intermediate with the baseline knowledge to effectively understand your weaknesses.
>>
File: please_die.gif (2MB, 480x272px) Image search: [Google]
please_die.gif
2MB, 480x272px
>>3065353
just do it dood.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.