[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I more or less understand the basic difference, what I've

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 2016_08_18 - Hand Study 6.jpg (2MB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
2016_08_18 - Hand Study 6.jpg
2MB, 3000x3000px
I more or less understand the basic difference, what I've been wondering is, the skills used between both are basically the same right? It's simply a job title is it not? It can be interchangeable with no regards to skills, techniques, or even level correct?

I'm asking because I've been looking around for 'non-accredited' art schools like CDA and Brainstom and they all seem to make a big emphasis on being concept design schools (same for FZD). I'm a little weary because I've never worked as a concept artist so I'm not really 100% sure that's what I want to do in the long run. Which brings me back to the initial statement, does it really matter? Whether I end up becoming more of an illustrator than a concept artist, doesn't studying concept art or the same stuff in general end up being beneficial to my skills regardless?
>>
>>3062201
There's some overlap and some artists do both, but they are quite different jobs with different end goals and different skillsets. "Illustration" is a very broad term too and encompasses things like editorial or other really stylized artwork.

The main difference is concept art is not an end in itself, but rather it is used to plan out a larger project such as a game or film. Illustration is the final product itself though. Because the two are used so differently and have different goals the aesthetics and approach of them needs to therefore be different.
>>
>>3062209
Nicely put. Would you agree or say however that just about any concept artist could easily be an illustrator? Obviously what being an illustrator consists of is very variable but in general would you agree, the skillset necessary for either is basically the same?
>>
>>3062236
>Would you agree or say however that just about any concept artist could easily be an illustrator?
No. There's a different set of skills needed to be an illustrator--storytelling/narrative, composition, posing, knowing what to leave out, style, full scenes etc. Many concept artists don't really have these skills fully developed. To illustrate you need to also be able to bring a higher level of polish and know more on painting design like edges and colour. All that said, the reverse is true too and many illustrators are lacking the sense of design and visual library that most concept artists have.
>>
You're right, but I get the impression that those differences you pointed out aren't that difficult to learn or transition to for lack of a better word. Again I'm just asking all of this because I'm unsure if threading the line between concept artist and illustrator would pose a big problem in the future because I'm unsure on which path to take at the moment.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.