[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /ic/ >Not sure what "studies" in art are >Opens

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: bone.gif (2MB, 600x470px) Image search: [Google]
bone.gif
2MB, 600x470px
Hey /ic/

>Not sure what "studies" in art are
>Opens Anatomy for Sculptors
>Brain: Proposal, draw every image in the book
>Me: I cant think of anything better
>First Image Skelton
>Draws Skelton
>What the fuck is going on
>Searches 3D model of first part that I dont get
>Draws it a bunch
>is this the right thing to do?
>goes to /ic/

So, How do you make studies? I want long studies that make me work a bunch
What Im doing is right? And is there any other more succesfull method?
thanks anons.
>>
>successful method
This is your problem right here. You should be looking to fail a lot, that's what you need to do to get good. If you haven't drawn a skeleton from every angle ten thousand times, don't even think about being good.
>>
>>3059677
Mmm, maybe I should explain it better

>Method A: You do it this way
>Method B: You do it that way

Method B will get you faster to improvement than Method A will. If drawing skeleton from every angle ten thousand times is the fastest methond than any other out there to improve then I will follow that one.
>>
Don`t try to reinvent the wheel, study figure drawing before you get into anatomy to get a feel for what muscles are important.

To do studys you need to know what you are studying for.
>>
You need to just jump in the ocean and get bit by sharks to know what will work and won't. It's a trial and error kind of deal.
>>
all of these anons have a point, BUT don't tire yourself with pointless, hard exercises. Drawing is meant to be enjoyable. At least, that's why I imagine one would bother with drawing. Still, getting -good- at drawing does take work/non-fun/challenging tasks. But don't go it alone. And honestly don't really come to /ic/ looking for anons' art critiqurs. It's sparse and unreliable. Instead, look to all the media and books that /ic/'s biggest threads point to. Get a mentor. If your mentor is a few art study books, that's sufficient.
>>
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>3059673
">Me: I cant think of anything better"

That looks like part of your problem. In my own experience, the wide-spread shotgun blast should really only be a first step. if you're really that new to studies, maybe this is okay for you! Otherwise, you should be a little bit more directed with your studies.

So basically, one of the first things to know about studying is to understand what your weaknesses are. Ironically enough, you can do this without drawing from a reference. you can even do this without drawing at all.
Try turning off distractions, taking your time, and have drawing tools of some kind in arms reach, but instead of just starting to draw for the sake of not doing "nothing," just think about drawing. Think about anatomy. Think about what you actually like about the creative process.

Know thy self, my friend.
>>
There isn't any one way to do studies, but the basic concept is that you identify something you're weak in (anatomy, color theory, etc). Then you find something that conforms to how you want to do it stylistically / is accurate to real life and examine it closely. You find out why it works the way it works, and you draw it to understand it, not to make a pretty picture. If you're doing a master study you don't need to copy it 1 for 1, if you like the values study the values and identify why you like it.

People who copy photos with the intent of getting a nice looking end product aren't actually studying much but rendering. You could do, say, a study of a skull where you spend 9 hours copying a photo, and a good 8 of that will just be rendering practice that taught you very little about how skulls work. You might learn some tricks for rendering, but if your goal was to understand skulls you wasted a lot of your time. If you spent that 9 hours drawing various skulls in various positions, trying to simplify them to basic forms, trying to move them mentally, trying to reproduce them without refs, etc, that's a far more effective study method for actually understanding the subject.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.