[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm afraid to start drawing because I know it'll take

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_1191.png (107KB, 266x332px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1191.png
107KB, 266x332px
I'm afraid to start drawing because I know it'll take at least ten years before I even begin to be good at art, and by that time I'll be in my mid thirties. Will my interests have changed by then? Will I even be drawing for the same reason I started? Does anyone else have these worries?
>>
>>3058976
I do that with everything I pick up. "By the time I get good I'll be [insert age]"

But that time comes whether or not you start, and if you don't start you'll end up thinking "damn, I'm not that old, i should have started."

Like me 5 years ago with drawing. If I hadn't given up i'd be gud right now. Now it'll take me an extra few years.
>>
>>3058976

Yeah, not sure about you but I keep trying to excuse myself away like you did and my hobbies never changed, I just added more.

I absolutely hate myself for having wasted time, if I were you I would just do it.
>>
Well I'm at the point where I am in my middle thirties, and I can say that my interests haven't actually changed all that much. But if your interests do change I would say not to worry, as you will just find other things to draw.
>>
>>3058976
The whole point of drawing isn't to get good. At least, that shouldn't be the only reason you draw. You have to take joy in the actual process of drawing. Or at least, you have to enjoy the way that drawing makes you feel, even if the final product isn't consistently up to par.
>>
>>3059041
This type of wisdom is only something learned after the fact. Most people just want get good and those are also the same people who usually quit.
>>
File: Bokurano_v01_p161.jpg (71KB, 728x1053px) Image search: [Google]
Bokurano_v01_p161.jpg
71KB, 728x1053px
>>3059041

This.

Learning to have fun should be your primary goal.
>>
>>3058976
You know that any craft takes a lifetime to master, right??? It's the same with everything.
>>
>>3059078
It's not about the destination. If you're thinking in terms of a destination, you're doing it wrong.
>>
File: 1497627461449.jpg (198KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
1497627461449.jpg
198KB, 894x894px
>>3059065
>fun
Meme. I only have fun thumbnailing and laying out the foundations, doing tie-downs or rendering are a giant snorefest and I am really baffled when someone says they spent hours refining some microdetails on a picture.

Once I have something sketched, my brain is already satisfied because I'm able to look at it and envision the whole thing finished, but I can't expect people to see through my eyes, nobody cares about unfinished doodles.

So yeah, it's 10% fun, 90% polishing.
>>
>>3059065
>bokurano

so all our optimism and enjoyment is only a facade that will lead us to crash and burn horribly from the struggle of professional work?
>>
>>3059042
Well no

I barely remember anything from my childhood but one thing I remember vividly is that I thought drawing was fucking fun. That was long before I even discovered the idea that you can get good by drawing.

Maybe what you said applies to non-artists who decide suddenly as adults / late teens that they want to become artists.
>>
>>3059041
Well, that's the thing. I don't want to learn to draw to get good, per say. I want to learn to draw so that I can put the thoughts and images in my head down on paper. They're trapped in my head and I can't release them. And it's so frustrating.
>>
>>3059106
more like
>the process of drawing will end with just one out of 15 artists actually making it, while millions of alternative universes get erased in the millage
>>
>>3058976
Find another hobby. Maybe sucking dick would be more up your alley.
>>
File: SCHNEIDERED.png (221KB, 330x305px) Image search: [Google]
SCHNEIDERED.png
221KB, 330x305px
>>3059000

trips of truth
>>
the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is now, etc.

If you're constantly afraid of committing to something you'll be in your mid 30s with nothing to show for it. When you hit that point you'll be wishing you weren't such a fucking coward 10 years ago.

Also you can get pretty competent in 2-3 years, at which point it'd be worthwhile to examine whether you still want to pursue it for the next 7-8 to really try and achieve mastery.
>>
>>3059088
Then you're done. That's it.
>>
I started at 23. It's been 2 years and I wouldn't say I'm good yet, but the progress has been really satisfying and I know it's just a matter of time before I get even better.

Learning to draw/paint will make you appreciate art much more in the first place, so yes your interests will change because you'll be more interested in art.

It's very easy to get caught in the trap of 'I should've done this earlier so I'm not going to do it at all', but if you really have that desire to learn in the back of your head all the time, you're going to start at some point anyways, so you may as well do it now. I wanted to learn since I was 12 years old, and I kept putting it off, and now I wonder how great I could be if I'd started all that time ago. That sort of thing never changes though, if you don't start now, in 10 years you're going to think to yourself, "what would my life be like if I'd started learning to draw 10 years ago?".

You're going to be kind of shit for a couple years, but it's just something you need to accept and go through. It isn't all bad though, I still have plenty of work from when I first started that I look back on fondly.
>>
>>3058976
Why don't you wait ten years and then decide?
>>
>>3058976
>it'll take at least ten years before I even begin to be good at art
Are you blind? How the fuck will it take you 10 years? It will take 2 years at most. 99% of /ic/ are stupid idiots which is why they suck cock at drawing for so long.
>>
Art is a great hobby you'll have for the rest of your life. Just do it man, don't be like me and start in your twenties.
>>
>>3059680
I AM IN MY TWENTIES ANON. THAT'S THE PROBLEM
>>
>>3060016
he means:
don't be like me, start in your twenties
>>
>>3059582
>It will take 2 years at most.
/ic/ loves to push unrealistic expectations, huh
>>
>>3060309
If you have trained motor skills and muscle memory from drawing a lot as a kid, and you're at least semi competent at studying I'd say 5 years is doable.

Although I'm a year into taking it seriously and I haven't moved on to painting yet so.....
>>
>>3060289
Hahahahahahaha perfect.
>>
>>3060359
Yeah, 5 years with some former drawing experience as a kid is good expectations.

2 years from beginner->good? Absolutely retarded.
>>
I drew a picture every day for three days and started seeing progress by the third day. It's the journey, not the result my nigga
>>
>>3058976
Depending what you consider being "good", it can take a lot less than that. Of course if you want to be a professional you need a big time frame, but if you are considering it just as a gret hobby then people will start appreciating your works quite fast.

It took me maybe an year before I didn't want to throw my drawings in a fire, and about 3 before people actually started complimenting my artwork.

So yeah, it depends on what is your purpose. You are going to grow old anyway, so might as well try.

If your interests change, you'll see way sooner than your mid thirties
>>
>>3060380
>Absolutely retarded.
You'd have to be, if you aren't capable of becoming good after 2 years.

If you aren't good after 2 years you're either a "normie", destined to be average at everything, or huge lack of self confidence incapable of correctly assessing your skill level. (You think you're shit when you're actually good) You can be good at drawing, doesn't mean you have to be a fucking legend. There are many levels above good.
>>
File: a.jpg (2MB, 2476x2806px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
2MB, 2476x2806px
>>3060842
is this 2 years for good drawing skills or the entire spectrum of painting and rendering? one answer is acceptable, the other retarded fantasy.
>>
>>3060842
again retarded.. no one is good after 2 years...even the pros that are gods now, werent amazing after 2 years...they were better then before,
>>
>>3060486
I drew a picture every day for 20 minutes and started seeing improvenents
>>
>>3060359
this for real. Starting when you're young is criminally underrated around here.
>>
>>3060853

thats the drawing level of someone who says they want to do art but only spends 10 mins a day drawing stuff from imagination instead of actually applying themselves to study
>>
File: 1467501063743.jpg (180KB, 947x891px) Image search: [Google]
1467501063743.jpg
180KB, 947x891px
>>3060979
>i can infer lots of bullshit from a 5min sketch someone made
>>
>>3061065

>defending a shitty drawing because you don't know anatomy or line weight works

5 mins is more than enough time to show how well you can illustrate.
>>
File: yup.png (480KB, 475x858px) Image search: [Google]
yup.png
480KB, 475x858px
>>
File: IMG_20170501_0001.jpg (486KB, 1176x1522px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170501_0001.jpg
486KB, 1176x1522px
>>3060921
one of my sketches of a study I'm doing right now a year into taking the journey seriously.

My mentor told me that becoming a Professional Artist is a hard path, especially now when the field is as saturated as it is. And that the journey gets hard, your mind plays tricks on you making you think you're better than you actually are sometimes and that you're worse than you are at other times. You may struggle financially along the way and you may even struggle while you're a professional. If the path scares you so much that you can't even do what YOU say you love. Then it may not be for you.

He told me this and then abandoned me.

I still want my dream, now more than ever.
>>
>>3061560
>1 year progress
>still making chicken scratches

ngmi
>>
>>3061598
A year isn't as much as you think it is, you get so busy studying everything, that time passes and you end up with just less of the faults you had before.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.