[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has this place actually helped you at all, or just made you wary

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 12

File: OnlyFaggotsReadTheFilename.jpg (106KB, 900x633px) Image search: [Google]
OnlyFaggotsReadTheFilename.jpg
106KB, 900x633px
Has this place actually helped you at all, or just made you wary of everything you are doing, and by essence, stopped creating works you enjoyed?

Stop coming here, and start creating more.
>>
>>3058416
>Has this place actually helped you at all

Yes, it made me realize how little I know and also introduced me to totally different views on how to learn art.

I'm painfully aware that coming here often is just a subtle addiction, it brings nothing to my art, I could come once a week and the benefits would be the same. Slow board. Lot of threads aren't worth reading. Once per week would be enough to find the good parts and maybe help a few people.

Your last advice is good but I don't blame /ic/, I should draw things for my pleasure more often. This idea of putting it off until I get better is the dumbest thing I've done. It kills motivation. 100% my fault, it's nothing but false pride.
>>
There are a lot of idiots on /ic/ so I don't consider it a helpful place, but indeed it showed me something I didn't know, so I guess it was helpful for me in some instances.
>>
>>3058416
It has actually. I get plenty of resources here, find new inspirations for work, find interesting prompts to illustrate, find answers for random art qs, find new techniques to use, things I wouldn't learn otherwise if I did this on my own. Critiques are useful sometimes, most times if you're putting good effort people will give good critique. My work gets shit on here almost constantly even when I think it's good which helps me progress to a higher level of standard.

I have plenty to complain about this place (shitposting, toxicity, trolls, people who don't actually practice), but I can't deny that this place has also been extremely useful.
>>
like most people I only come here from ressources sometimes a lot of pictures or classical artists I wasn't aware of

Other than that not of fan of the general attitude of the board, a lot of people come off as maladjusted or maybe it's just anonimity....

I wish people would be more supportive and helpful instead of the usual piling up of "you're not gonna make it"

Art is fun keep it cool and good luck to everyone :)
>>
Latter, but that's only because I've always been susceptible to self-doubt. I still enjoy creating, but I'm more pained by the idea I'm not good enough and my growth is too slow to keep trying. A lot of /ic/'s attitudes and concepts are filtered through very narrow lenses, so that's compacted my issue with drawing.

If I wasn't a depressive retard, though, /ic/ is infinitely more helpful than it is debilitating. Even assholes and idiots on /ic/ are more funny than anything.
>>
File: Prince Avalanche OLD MAN.jpg (89KB, 942x440px) Image search: [Google]
Prince Avalanche OLD MAN.jpg
89KB, 942x440px
>>3058416
Here's the secret to using /ic/: Use it less, and know your shit before you come here.
If you spend all your time posting your most of your work that you're not sure about on /ic/ and rely on the anons to guide you, I guarantee you will jump from one thing to the next and you will waste a lot of time with things that don't actually matter. You will fall into the trap of constantly posting sketches in fear of "polishing turds" and constantly get misguided as all the anons give radically different advice.
You might strike gold and get some very good critiques but that only happens when you already know what you're doing, otherwise, /ic/ will simply regurgitate memes and generic advice that most of the time will not work for you.
That being said, /ic/ is UNDENIABLY the best source to get to get art knowledge on the internet.
This is simply because of the vast amounts of resources the anons collect from almost every crevice of the internet, which would otherwise take YEARS of searching and monetary investment to accquire. Think of /ic/ as mechanical repair shop: You come to get an extra opinion and to acquire to materials for your faulty machine, but you're the one who has to learn how to keep your car outta trouble, not the mechanic./ic/ is not a place accquire knowledge, it's simply a place to fine tune your knowledge and get resources to find more.
>>
>>3058416
/ic/ is not for learning how to draw. It's for making up excuses why you won't ever succeed.
>>
/ic/ is a great place for resources and also bringing up some interesting topics. But overall it's full of idiots who love to shit on other people's work for no reason and repost unfunny memes (merc wip)
>>
/ic/ is a tool, not a rule.
>>
>>3058416
This place is more or less a library. Great for resources. Whether or not you get help depends on if /ic/ is in a good mood. And as shitty as this place can get sometimes, it has humbled me and made me realize I won't git gud if I act like a whiny bitch.
>>
>>3058416
I'm a better artist than my sibling who's going to art school (we're twins so age isn't a factor) and I think it's at least partly because of the resources I've found here.

But I do agree that this place could afford to chill its bitter attitude, that probably applies to most of 4chan though.
>>
>>3058416
>>3058471
This is pretty spot on.

I come here for the human element because I do not know what to Google and I normally get enough when I come to do my own research and study.
>>
>>3058497
^that
it has helped me alot , it told me about places and ideas i would have never heard about. and i am much better thanks to it.
>>
Yes. It has helped me to work on anatomy through basic shapes instead of symbols. My work I feel has gotten better since I came here and my lines have become less scratchy and if anything I feel more confident and happy while drawing than before I came here
>>
>>3058416

literally became a full time pro freelance artist thanks to /ic/.
>>
File: 1467873569761.gif (290KB, 201x228px) Image search: [Google]
1467873569761.gif
290KB, 201x228px
>>3058416
EW WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH HER KNEE?!?!
>>
>>3058471
Finally some good advice on this board.
>>
>>3058416
i used to feel really unmotivated and shit in general about my art
then i discovered this place a few months ago and learned that everything could be so much worse for me that it actually helped me to become more motivated to draw again
now i come here every now and then mostly just for laughs, and a few interesting threads to read

oh, and also there are some art resources here like other anons mentioned, guess those are helpful
>>
>>3058577
Hilariously, it's fucking traced.
>>
>>3058722
a perfect example of why reference(or tracing in this case) won't always solve your aesthetic problems

something may look correct cause its photo but on a painting it's gonna look broken/wrong and thats where studies of construction of things come in handy
>>
>>3058722
It's not traced you retard. The proportions are clearly different. It's like you retards see a solid reproduction and project your own artistic incapability by saying it's traced.
>>
Normally /ic/ motivates me to draw, I see people drawing and posting and talking about art, and it motivates me to start drawing. As far as proper critique goes, it has been helpful but very lightly. There's too many people who as 4chan tradition goes who just seem very very angry, too many people who don't seem to know what they're even talking about on top of that there's too much anime.
>>
>>3058730
The legs are traced, the pillows are traced, the sheets are traced. The only thing the artist did was make an unrealistic upper body
>>
Honestly, Outside of the shitposting and bitterness that most users on /ic/ seem to have; I've learned some things. I'm only focusing on drawabox and the sticky for now.
>>
>>3058730
Are you one of his butthurt fans too?

>It's like you retards see a solid reproduction and project your own artistic incapability by saying it's traced.
Because being a slave to references is marginally better.
>>
>>3058416
>Stop coming here, and start creating more.
I have, mostly. Every once in a while I come back and I'm quickly reminded of how much this place fucking blows.
>>
File: 1435969756750.png (77KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1435969756750.png
77KB, 500x500px
>>3058800
>>3058728
>>3058722
and here are the idiots shitting up the thread with irony.
>>
>>3058471
Holy shit this.
>>
>>3058416
how does op look to people? i've been thinking of heavily exaggerating the shape of the torso like this, does it work or is it a bit gory?
>>
>>3058907
my lust is greatly enhanced by seeing the structure of what is inside a sexy female body - but then I also like gore so I may not be typical
>>
>>3058800
Every illustrator is a slave to reference. Some just remembered their reference well enough that they don't need a physical one.
>>
>>3058471
Holy shit anon you went god mode, you might have just saved some anons from the ngmi curse.
>>
>>3058416
Ic made me understand how shit I am and how to actually improve.
So yes, ic helped me a lot, I'd be one of these faggots who draw once per week, polish turds and never study.

Also so much this >>3058471
>>
>>3058545
This. You can just come to the board look at a lot of different things to take you in the direction you want to go.
>>
File: 1490883152123.png (7KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1490883152123.png
7KB, 300x300px
Why ruin it with just the navel?
>>
File: 1490848120766.jpg (159KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1490848120766.jpg
159KB, 1280x960px
I like how you assume I don't create stuff because of /ic/.
I come to /ic/ because I'm unable to create, in hopes that I will at least get some grinding points out of the regimen we see here.

But since there's no inspiration anywhere, nothing gets done. So at least I have fun seeing you guys' art!
>>
>>3058416
Actually, yeah.
Thanks to this shitty board I discovered both the books of Loomis and my love for Impressionism and animal drawing.
Otherwise, I haven't seen neither legitimate advice, critique or anything of the sort.
In all fairness, this board is just a bunch of faggots pirating art books, posting paintings and art gossip. There's not much content here.
>>
This board did kill my productivity for a bit, but I just stopped posting here when it did. Now my productivity is dead entirely due to self-doubt and hating my own art, nothing to do with /ic/

Good resource for art books and figures to draw though. That's mainly what I use it for anymore.
>>
>>3058471
Excellent post.
>>
>>3058424
Are you me?
>>
File: TodayIwillRemindThem.jpg (134KB, 1610x663px) Image search: [Google]
TodayIwillRemindThem.jpg
134KB, 1610x663px
>>3058471

Thanks, Anon. You probably saved me some valuable time.
>>
>>3058416
>just made you wary of everything you are doing, and by essence, stopped creating works you enjoyed
this
>>
File: sss.png (949KB, 531x729px) Image search: [Google]
sss.png
949KB, 531x729px
>>3058416
>>
>>3059406
he probably made more money on that than any of the losers here did with all their art combined, who cares
>>
>>3059452
>you're just jealous XD XD XD
What did he mean by this?
>>
Every now and then you learn something useful. Most of it is just people trashing others because of self-esteem issues.

But any useful knowledge makes it worth it.
>>
>>3058416
yes
>>
>>3059356

Well our problem is certainly not uncommon. I'll incorporate some "free time" in my routine to draw for fun. The ironic thing is that our brain probably works better that way, so it should be good for the studying too.

I've begun to Hide systematically all threads which aren't about learning, to lower the temptation. I'll probably use a Plugin during the week to stop the tentation to come here so often. It's become ridiculous, I check /ic/ several times while at work.
>>
/ic/ it's a really good place for improving, if you avoid the wave of bullshit that surrounds this place.
It really helped me by, metaphorically, punching me in the face and kicking some reality that, is not easy and there's lots of challenges ahead, and being a moaning bitch, expecting to your work to be perfect is completely irrational and egotistical. There's great resources and well-intentioned people willing to help you, but of course, where there's beauty, there's the filthy part too.
>>
File: 65435665433.jpg (17KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
65435665433.jpg
17KB, 300x300px
The only thing I really appreciate about /ic/ is that it's shown me art has become the refuge of the worst kinds of people when it used to be what attracted the best.
>>
>>3058416
I just come here to have a laugh at bad artists giving bad advise to each other.
>>
>>3060997
> I like to go down swimming in the shit well to make fun of people who're drowning in it but other than that my life is alright
>>
>>3060997
>advise
Can you not?
>>
>>3058416

This place has helped me, and I have helped this placed. But it all happened because I was making this work out my own effort, aided by the efforts of others who share my mindset.
>>
>>3058416
When I first came here I knew 0 about art, drawing, etc. Now I've learned good resources and teachers to study (loomis, bridgman, proko, etc), inspirational artists from the past (mucha, bouguereau, etc), different learning techniques like sight-size, construction, not drawing chicken lines, etc. I also learned ton of art vocab, like value, tone, lines, perspective, etc, other placeswith information ike conceptart.org, wetcanvascom. What the differences were between different art fields, fine art, illustration, animation, concept art, etc. The difference between using references, vs tracing, vs photobashing.

Laugh if you want but I'd ever heard of any of that stuff until I'd come here. I ever had any real art education in school, I mean I had some in elementary school but it was like just cutting out construction paper and stuff.

I really learned a lot here. Just being able to hang out with art types and talk about things with them was very educational. I kind of learned how the artistic mindset works. And there's a ton of common knowledge to art that you can pick up like background radiation by just hanging out with artists.

But now honestly, I'm at the point where I really need to start drawing and practicing more to be good. But /ic/ got me from the know nothing stage to the beginner stage, and I'm grateful for that. I still have a ton to learn. I know that. And I really need to do more drawing, and spend less time hanging out here!
>>
Yeah, it's the only place I can get real criticism, any other website is filled with asspats and circle jerking.
>>
I never would have got into art seriously if I hadn't come across /ic/. I was just checking out random boards and it intrigued me. The inspo threads made me want to git gud.

I got forwarded to cgpeers and some schedule advice so yeah it's helped. I also appreciate this not being a massive hugbox like deviantart
>>
Nah, not really.
>>
>>3058416

I feel too embarrassed to ever post anything.
>>
>>3062298
Godspeed anon
>>
File: 1497401083449.jpg (64KB, 761x720px) Image search: [Google]
1497401083449.jpg
64KB, 761x720px
>>3058471
This guy gets it.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.