[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The singing lesson had made the amateurs, but not the professionals,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: Bill_Wilson-0.jpg (79KB, 716x768px) Image search: [Google]
Bill_Wilson-0.jpg
79KB, 716x768px
>The singing lesson had made the amateurs, but not the professionals, happy. The reason for the difference lay in how the two groups had approached the lesson. For the amateurs it was a time to express themselves, to sing away their cares, and to feel the pure joy of singing. For the professionals, the lesson was a time to concentrate on such things as vocal
technique and breath control in an effort to improve their singing. There was focus but no joy

So can we finally agree that drawing is not fun at all if you intend to improve at it?
>>
PLEASE SHUT THE FUCK UP PATTI
JUST SHUT UP
>>
>he doesn't find joy in self improvement
>he doesn't find satisfaction in setting goals and meeting them
>he doesn't set time aside from focused study for personal projects and casual drawing
>he doesn't find achieving focus and flow a cathartic and pleasant experience

It's a different breed of fun to the casual approach, but also more satisfying. I have more 'fun' playing videogames, but it's a fleeting and empty pleasure. I feel more satisfaction and lasting joy by drawing and cultivating a skill, and having the capacity to create things that excite me.
>>
>>3057078
The problem Is that many people who draw just aren't what I'd call real artists. They're technicians. They saw a drawing felt envy, greed, jealousy or what have you, and then went about learning how to do it.

I could draw anything I want, pretty much outright, because I have a "feel" for it. Call me an idiot savant or whatever, but I just do the things that others seem to struggle with for years. And I don't understand how any of it couldn't be fun, honestly

On occasion when I do have to learn something new because I can't get my head around it yet, I feel excited to be trying something new, and I feel joy and more excitement when I accomplish it.

If you at the very least don't feel the way I do when you draw or learn how, then you simply are not an artist.
>>
>>3057170
Curious about your work, share some.
>>
File: Screenshot_5.png (216KB, 533x537px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_5.png
216KB, 533x537px
read pic related.

the book is called flow if anyone cares.
>>
>>3057078
well if an anonymous quotation about singing implies it, then it must be true

also i know some singers from university and they do enjoy singing
>>
>>3057710
Pretty sure that quote is from the book Peak >>3057577
>>
File: Screenshot_4.png (281KB, 431x369px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_4.png
281KB, 431x369px
You need to learn to distinguish between pleasure and joy / happiness. You can 'have fun' doing something relatively mindless, but lasting satisfaction and happiness is usually attained through accomplishment. Think of many people where the proudest/happiest moments of their life were unpleasant at the time (climbing a mountain, finishing a marathon, having a child, etc).

In your example, the lesson may have been more pleasurable for the amateurs than the professionals. The amateurs might have had more fun, treating it as time to unwind/play rather than learn.

The professionals, however, used it as an opportunity to train. And if you train hard enough, that's when things such as art can become genuinely satisfying and cathartic rather than merely 'fun'. That's when it can bring you real joy instead of just alleviation of boredom or passing pleasure. Have you ever had that experience where you became good enough at something that you could really, really focus on it? When it has your undivided attention, you're confident you have what it takes to do with you set out to do, and at the end, you achieve it. When your practice has actually prepared you for that moment and everything 'works' without anxiety. For any anons who listen to music when you draw, have you ever had those moments when you notice 20 minutes later that your playlist stopped, but you'd been so focused on what you were doing that you didn't even realize it? Or that you'd been planning to draw for 30 minutes and 2 hours had passed? That, to me, is a sign you were actually immersed, and that's satisfying. It's a different sort of fun, sure, but if you spend your life chasing the cheap, superficial sorts of fun, you won't get any lasting happiness out of it. You may as well watch TV and fap.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.