[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how legit is to make a 3D reference picture then simply

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 13

File: shit.png (407KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
shit.png
407KB, 1440x900px
how legit is to make a 3D reference picture then simply draw on top of it?
>>
No matter how you slice it, you're tracing.

You'll just be a skilled 3D modeler who traces his artwork.
>>
>>3052816
more like rotoscoping, plus I won't be 100% tracing.

is more like a reference.
>>
>>3052819
why ask a question if you're clearly set in your opinion
>>
>>3052821
I'm asking how legit is, not if I shouldn't do it.
>>
>>3052815
>draw on top of it
>>3052819
>is more like a reference.

>>3052822
Concept artists do it very often, it's an effective shortcut
>>
>>3052815
It's totally legit.
https://youtu.be/PAUKymZigxQ
>>
>>3052825
dumb fucks on the internet don't know what the difference is between tracing, copying, or referencing
>>
>>3052815
If you know how to draw it without tracing then it doesnt matter, it is an effective ahortcut. But it is an awful way to learn.
>>
>>3052815
if your reference is that shit then not very

a reference is only good if it actually helps you improve your art
>>
there are no rules to art
>>
>>3052815

There are comic book artists in my country who make simple 3D models of a scenery they'll use several time, enabling them to easily change the perspective and obtain quickly the results they desire then paint over it. Why wouldn't it be legit?

Now, if you're trying to learn, well it will make you learn more about 3D than about drawing, obviously... still, I think knowing 3D is a tool everyone should've.

> It's 2017 guys.jpg
>>
>>3052815
Exact same as tracing a photograph. You can easily tell when someone does this shit even if you can't find the reference.
>>
it's legit. The problem with beginner tracing is they don't understand the form of the object and so can't make accurate judgements on light, line weight, etc, but if you've done the modelling, then you already understand the form of the object potentially to a greater degree than a purely 2d artist.
>>
>>3052833
dumb fucks on the internet doing mental gymnastics to fool themselves into not getting better.
>>
>>3052822
What do you mean by legit? Are you asking if it's a legitimate strategy? It is. It's very common among industry artists. It's simply not realistic to ask an artist to churn out 50 illustrations a day 100% by hand. As long as you made the model yourself, it shouldn't be a problem.
>>
Just do a quick gesture instead? Why make a so much more complicated?
>>
>>3052815
Never read Gantz or Inuyashiki, OP? The author does this shit all the time.
>>
If you're not stealing anything it can only be 100% legit. No rules, just tools.
>>
File: 1431117405253.jpg (353KB, 1280x1216px) Image search: [Google]
1431117405253.jpg
353KB, 1280x1216px
NO
>RULES
ONLY
>TOOLS
>>
>>3052815
make the model yourself, so that you learn 3d modeling AND painting. most concept artists in the future will need both skills.
>>
>>3053433
>>3053527
While this is true, it`s much more benificial if the tools are inside your head, and you have mastered them.

Tracing is a tool, sure, but will using it frequently make you a better artist?

Don`t use the phrase as an excuse to take shortcuts.
>>
>>3052815
is what professionals do.

There's tons of ways to do it and there's much experimentation to do in order to find an appropriate workflow. If you don't start trying right now, you'll find yourself in disadvantage later.
>>
>>3052816
You do know you have to be a good artist to make good 3D models, right?
It should be seen as a tool to get the accurate look of your shapes in 3D.
>>
>>3053534
>much more benificial if the tools are inside your head
Beneficial to who?
>>
Honestly trace. Just trace and copy and steal and do whatever it takes. People don't care about what a great artist YOU are. They are about looking at great art. h which is more important? Making good art or being a good artist?
>>
>>3053569
Yourself.
If you have no issues drawing accurate perspective forms and gesture freely without much thinking it will speed up any work process, and (depending on what you are doing) there is little need for 3d models for tracing over.
>>
>>3053569
Beneficial to your ego. You can spend your while life trying to be a master and then die as a random nobody with carpal tunnel syndrome or you can just fucking use your common sense and take as many shortcuts as possible and actually make good fucking art
>>
>>3053575
Being a good artist kind of helps with making good art you know?
>>
>>3053580
But which is more important?
>>
>>3053576
> freely without much thinking
You know nothing about skill.
>>
If you don't know how to draw, then you will not know how to trace well either. Your results will look shit on top of looking obviously traced.

If you know how to draw, then strictly speaking you won't need to trace, other than to save time. And often times just fucking drawing the thing is actually faster than finding the exact reference for it.

This is why this is a non-issue.
>>
are there any free alternatives to sketchup, or is 3d modelling in blender etc the only way?
>>
>>3053581
Perosnally, knowing that i can create something good whenever and how i want is more important than having made good art pieces.
>>
>>3053584
You`re right, i don`t, and i should have written effort instead of thinking.
>>
>>3053534
EVEN masters like Murata and Miura tends to be inconsistent when it comes to size of some characters of objects (Gouketsu's size and Guts' dragonslayer). Something to think about. Meanwhile with a set up 3D scene you'll have none of those problems.
>>
File: images (3).jpg (27KB, 470x313px) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
27KB, 470x313px
>>3053587
>And often times just fucking drawing the thing is actually faster than finding the exact reference for it.

Not everything is same face anime girls. Machinery and architecture is always faster on 3D no matter what. You can even export it directly to lineart without needing to trace.

Good luck starting something complex like this from different angles on a deadline. Oh wait, nobody on /ic/ has an actual art job.
>>
File: 411BIsY35ZL._UX250_.jpg (15KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
411BIsY35ZL._UX250_.jpg
15KB, 250x250px
>>3053606
cute.
>>
>>3053597
Literally not gonna make it
>>
File: CdlzgvoUEAAdnc-.jpg (297KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
CdlzgvoUEAAdnc-.jpg
297KB, 1536x2048px
>>3053606
> Not everything is same face anime girls

This. faces are one thing, but when it comes to inanimate objects that aren't organic 3d is always superior. It's not for nothing Oku did that in Gantz, it's way more effective.

But you need to properly redraw them with your lines. Just putting a 3D render in your drawing doesn't combine well with the rest (same in Anime) and always looks like shit.
>>
>>3053612
You can always study more, save the regret for your deathbed.
>>
File: CcsPVsJVAAANG9y.jpg (627KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
CcsPVsJVAAANG9y.jpg
627KB, 2048x1536px
>>3053619
And for those who think oku is a "hack", see his twitter.
>>
>>3053608
>cute.
Clearly you haven't looked much into Scott Robertson since he is pro photobash and 3D.
>>
>>3053627
And is also for working with paper, because it`s faster.
>>
>>3053629
You just can't stop lying.
Look up his talks. Most of his new work is photobash.
>>
>>3052815
You see, if you're a skilled draughtsman and use a technique like that to save time, that's completely fine.
If you use it as a crutch, however, it will not only show, but limit your possibilities in the long run, as well as turning out lifeless and stiff. If you don't know how to work around the limitations, tracing a 3D model is a waste of time and effort.
I would not recommend it, unless you're an established artist, who knows what they are doing. (And even then people will call you out for it, if they notice, but that's another issue alltogether)
>>
It's important to differenciate for what you're drawing. If you're just drawing designs and make once or twice and then you're done by hand can be more effective (depends though), but if you need to redraw them a fuckton of times consistently in a comic/manga? 3D for sure.

Doing a quick 3D modeling of whatever you designed can be interesting if you're not a master because you can verify if it works at every angle, and you can learn from it.
>>
>>3053631
Look up his youtube videos going through john parks sketchbooks.
He literally says he prefers drawing on paper because of the speed.
>>
>>3053635
/thread
>>
File: Trace 3d.jpg (2MB, 2899x4032px) Image search: [Google]
Trace 3d.jpg
2MB, 2899x4032px
>>3053637
>unless you're an established artist, who knows what they are doing. (And even then people will call you out for it, if they notice, but that's another issue alltogether)

I don't know what you're talking about. Artists share their 3D to 2D workflows on youtube. It's just a fact that any modern digital artist will use 3D at some point.

I swear to god /ic/ is more contrarian and retrograde than creationists. You're actually deliberately climbing down from the shoulders of giants.

>>3053637
Scott Robertson dropped out of the industry to become a teacher. Follow his same steps if you want to become a teacher too.
>>
>>3053668
Nobody said anything against using 3d models.
It`s just not a replacement for the fundamental knowledge of perspective and form during your studys. Thats all people have been saying.
>>
>>3053668
>You're actually deliberately climbing down from the shoulders of giants.
Actually that's it. That explains everything.

You don't want to build upon the knowledge and discoveries made by the old masters. You don't want to apply what they found to create new things.

You want to BE the old master. It's de-evolving.

You want to be Sargent. You want to be Vilppu on Glean Keane. You don't actually give a shit about art or the understanding that they discovered. You just want the glory. Being a hero or a legend.
You don't want your own story. You want to walk their very own same steps.

That's why you're so afraid of any tool that will make the job easier or faster. Jealousy is killing you.

That's why you people despise 3D. Because if you use it people won't flatter your ego with Retweets or "you're so talented" pride. You don't give a shit about art or the making of it. You want people to discover your work after you're dead. You don't have a personality, do your art-tortured soul must fill in the blank.
>>
>>3053679
Half of this thread is calling it a crutch and a waste of time. Selective blindness must be a bitch.
>>
>>3053682
They're not calling the practice a crutch, they are warning against potentially using it as a crutch. I'm not even him.
>>
>>3053686
>They're not calling it a crutch, they are calling it a crutch.
>>
>>3053682
>ctrl + f crutch
>1 result besides yours
>ctrl + waste of time
>1 result besides yours

You`re arguing with noone.
>>
>>3053687
You are retarded
>>
>>3053680
I 100% agree

FUCK the old masters. Composition? Linework? Colors? Storytelling? Anatomy? Son my computer does that shit FOR ME.
>>
Contextually it is.

Just like I can call you a sissy instead of a faggot, and faggot won't show up in your CTRL + F.
>>
>>3053702
Contextually it isn't, just read the fucking thread and actually try to understand what people are saying this time around, i`m sure you`ll get behindt it.
>>
>>3053608
i agree, it is a very cute robot. look at its little blinky light hat.

>>3053635
there we go
>>
>>3053606
>often times = always
>>
>>3053701
>FUCK the old masters. Composition? Linework? Colors? Storytelling? Anatomy? Son my computer does that shit FOR ME.

Honey, it's more like instead of analyzing how they used the fundamentals and apply it to new technologies, they want to REPLACE the old masters.

They want to rediscover the wheel so that they can become DaVinci or a new Loomis. They don't care about what they had to say and how to expand on that.
>>
>>3053710
I think you are assuming a lot about what people want to achieve with their studys.

Last time i checkt most retarded 15 year olds getting into art are in it to get some shitty job at a gaming company, i wouldn`t worry about people dismissing 3D technology, especially on here.
>>
>>3053635
>If you use it as a crutch, however, it will not only show, but limit your possibilities in the long run,

Is Yoh Yoshinari a hack for using 3D on his animations? Even him said that there is stuff that he wouldn't animate because a computer is always better. Like a camera moving around stairs.

>as well as turning out lifeless and stiff.
Lifeless like buildings and machines?

>If you don't know how to work around the limitations, tracing a 3D model is a waste of time and effort.
You learn to work the limitations by actually trying to work on them.
Just like having 10 years of drawing portraits doesn't makes you a good animator, even tracing requires understanding and practice to get it right.

Painting over a 3D plate of a photo is not something that you'll learn by osmosis from doing studies. You have to get good at it too.
>>
>>3053719
You have completely misunderstood that post, anon. It's like you're just itching to be validated for tracing
>>
>>3053723
I understood the post completely.

That guy has never attempted to draw or paint anything more complex than anime girls or landscapes, or he would have realized the importance of 3D for a pro.

>(And even then people will call you out for it, if they notice, but that's another issue alltogether)
The cognitive dissonance tell of someone who has no clue of what is happening in the industry.
>>
>>3053723
It's about the final result. For a board full of people claiming to help others they sure want to hinder the progress of all artists out there. It's almost like artists come here just to give bad advice on purpose to slow down and destroy their competition to secure their own job.

Tracing is a valid technique. Photo reference is a valid technique. Live models are a valid technique. 3D references are a valid technique. Incorporating 3D directly is a valid technique. The tools are NEVER the fucking problem. It's how you use them. Depending on how you use them it can be cringe worthy shit art or a masterpiece. The fact someone spent 60 hours doing something all from imagination doesn't make me want to pay them OR respect them more than someone who gets the same result in 1/4th of the time by intelligently using all the tools available in the digital age. If the "tracer" makes shit art I will make fun of him but tracing doesn't guarantee the art will be shit. It just increases the likelihood of an artist making bad choices due to not understanding other aspects of what makes a good piece of art.
>>
>>3053725
>You see, if you're a skilled draughtsman and use a technique like that to save time, that's completely fine.
He is not even bashing it
>The cognitive dissonance tell of someone who has no clue of what is happening in the industry.
He wasn't calling you out for it, he's just saying you may be called out for it by someone.
>>3053728
Very few anons here are saying otherwise. Just for some reason some of you are really sensitive about it.
>>
>>3053725
>he can't draw realistic humans without a reference
>laughinganimegirls.jpg
non-artists need to leave this board
>>
>>3053719

>Is Yoh Yoshinari a hack for using 3D on his animations? Even him said that there is stuff that he wouldn't animate because a computer is always better. Like a camera moving around stairs.

He isn`t a hack. You know why? Because when he actually studied, he didn`t use 3D animation as a crutch. He started using it once he was competent enough.

Slowly sinking in yet? Can you stop with your retarded fit now?
>>
>>3053732
I didn't read the whole thread so I assumed it was devolving into the usual anti-tracing, anti-3D reference nonsense as usual. There has been plenty of threads full of that so it sets me off because I want artists to flourish by using all the tools, techniques and knowledge available. I hate how elitists try to sabotage that shit.

If it's not happening in this thread I apologize for my tone and assumptions.
>>
>>3053234
>hello did u know that it is (current year)
>gibe me the smart boy points for making a funny xddd
>>
>>3053736
Except we are talking about working artists, not students.

>>3053733
I can.
But can you draw 6000 humans for a war illustration? What is the largest amount of people that you have actually drawn in a single image?
No human being can compete with a computer at that.
>>
>>3053732
>he's just saying you may be called out for it by someone.
By FUCKING WHO?

The idea that someone will be shunned for using 3D is bellow cartoony.
>>
>>3053719
Are you mentally challenged? I just said using 3-D is a valid technique for pros and Yoshinari has decades of practice. He was an amazing daughtsman and animator before he started utilizing 3-D.
And here's the thing: He made use of it, as a tool, never had to rely on it.

I don't know you and it might as well be that you have 40 years of drawing experience as well, and know how to properly use 3-D software to enhance your drawings and animation, but from the way you type and the fact that you had to ask for permission from an anonymous imageboard, I have to agree with >>3053723

The real issue here is not your use of 3-D software, it's your aversion against learning to draw properly, which I can only assume originates from your idea that you'd be inable to create artwork without the aid of digital software.
This shows in your post here >>3053764 where you think it would be easier to create a dynamic crowd scene with a program. There are dozens of faster and more efficient traditional techniques than posing 6000 3-D dolls, but that's beside the point.

The thing is, anon, we're not here to tell you what to do. We're not here to bash you for using 3-D to create better results.
Just warning you that you shouldn't get dependant on it.

You seem very young, so use that time to learn at least the basic fundamentals of drawing.
If I talked out of my ass and completely misjudged you, feel free to post your work and I will apologize.
>>
>>3053772
Normies, mostly. And this board. People working in the industry don't care. That's why I wasn't really going into it, because it's not worth it.
>>
>>3053792
> Just warning you that you shouldn't get dependant on it.

Retard.

> you shouldn't get dependant on digital
> you shouldn't get dependant on rulers

Yeah, sure.
>>
>>3053797
Not him, anon. But you shouldn't get dependent on ANYTHING, it's not healthy
>>
>>3053797
> you shouldn't get dependant on digital
> you shouldn't get dependant on rulers
To be blunt: Yes, you shouldn't. I don't see what you're trying to prove here?
I'm not saying "don't use a ruler", but "learn how to draw a straight line without one"
>>
>>3053800
Try to tell that to actual pros and they'll just laugh at you for being so stupid.

End results 95% matters. We're lucky enough to have those great tools, not using them would be a massive waste. As for reaching the "super master level that can draw with one finger", we've got our whole life to get near it if we feel like it. And that won't even particularly allow you to do much better than what you can do with those tools (and a proper level and mastery of those obviously).

You're gonna tell a 3d modeler to "not be dependant on his computer" next?
>>
>>3053792
>Just warning you that you shouldn't get dependant on it.
>You seem very young, so use that time to learn at least the basic fundamentals of drawing.

This is my story. I have been drawing seriously for 11 years. Hired 5.

At some point in my career I got ulcers, bruxism and RSIs from how hard I was working. No matter how much and how hard I drew, it was never enough to meet the deadlines. I even started to lose hair.
I was about to give up on this career until I started to use 3D as a last resort. And I recovered a good 70% of my time. Just with basic tools. I recovered my life and health when I started to rely on the called "crutches". And the quality of work went up too.

As technologies keep getting better, so do the deadlines and what is asked from a regular artist. In retrospective learning 3D early on would have made me a much better artist. I would have changed my career completely. I realized that 3D escalates in quality with your knowledge of fundamentals.

It's the opposite of a crutch. It's a multiplier. Like money, it only increases what was already inside you.

The things is as time changes so does the meaning of value. No one wants to wait for you to take your time when someone with better tools can do better and faster. Every day we are asked to do more and better. And it's possible with tools and technology, not with more hard work.

I was a damn egoistical luddite. I believed that 3D would make my work look more sterile, when in reality 3D only does what you tell it to do.

I would have saved years of my life if I just learned the tools. I worked too hard at something meaningless. I'm so mad because I see my own ineptitude on all the people who deny 3D.

Nowadays I advice my employers not to hire people if they don't know 3D. They are all a waste of our time and their own time. I wish someone had told me this sooner.
>>
>>3053809
I think this is getting silly, but I will humor you and give you answers to those statements, but first, let me ask you a question:
What exactly are you trying to achieve? It seems like all you want is to justify turning a blind eye to, well, actually learning something beyond that program.

>Try to tell that to actual pros and they'll just laugh at you for being so stupid.
Professional animators/illustrators/etc would probably not laugh at anyone, that'd be beneath them. But they would be surprised if you made it without learning the fundamentals of your field, as well as question you for thinking you don't need traditional drawing skills.
It really depends on what you're trying to to exactly. An architect needs no figure drawing lessons. But even an architect could learn something from them. It's always good to keep an open mind.

>End results 95% matters.
I'd agree. I would even say it's 100% that matters; I just don't think you'll ever get there with your attitude.

>And that won't even particularly allow you to do much better than what you can do with those tools (and a proper level and mastery of those obviously).
Be honest, have you ever drawn? Not to be rude, but you sound like you have neither experience with the tools in question, nor drawing theory.

>You're gonna tell a 3d modeler to "not be dependant on his computer" next?
You're reducing the argument to absurdity here.
>>
>>3053819
I began studying 3D around 1 year and a half ago and I improved a ton since then. Being able to move things unlike with drawing gives you a new outlook on creation as a whole. Then there is rendering and managing textures that made me understand much more properly how some should look.

Don't try too hard at convincing those retards. 3D can indeed only be beneficial to someone, it's their loss.
>>
>>3053827
>Don't try too hard at convincing those retards. 3D can indeed only be beneficial to someone, it's their loss.
No one is arguing against that. I have years of experience in 3D but I still think that you shouldn't let it become a crutch unlike what you're suggesting here >>3053809, and that you're a retard
>>
>>3053819
Thank you for sharing. But again, it really depends on your occupation. (So, what exactly are you working as?)
Also, you already knew how to draw before you started using 3D to improve your artwork. As I stated before, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, and if OP can get the same out of the process that many professionals, including you, did, that's great.
But the way he argues and denies I really think it might not be the best for OP to soly rely on it, but rather learn how to work with it, while still learning traditional drawing, IMPLYING he wants to go into something like illustration or similar fields, where you need certain drawing skills. If OP has those, it's all good.
>>
>>3053831
Since you love your garbage "crutch" buzzword so much, please explain to me the difference between a tool and a crutch.

I'm eager to hear your delusional response.
>>
>>3053824
>Be honest, have you ever drawn? Not to be rude, but you sound like you have neither experience with the tools in question, nor drawing theory.

Well, tell yourself that if it can reassure you. You'd be surprised.
>>
>>3053764
>But can you draw 6000 humans for a war illustration? What is the largest amount of people that you have actually drawn in a single image?
>No human being can compete with a computer at that.
What is your actual point?

You are responding to the statement that "often times" drawing something without a reference is faster and more efficient than looking for that specific reference.

No one said that there aren't situations where a computer is more efficient.

Always use the best tool for a given purpose.
>>
>>3053835
>" OP can get the same out of the process that many professionals, including you, did, that's great. "

This is proof that you don't understand jack shit. It's not the same results. It's better and faster than what raw 2D can do.

No matter how hard you work or how smart you are, you cannot compete with the perfect perspective of a computer.
>>
>>3053838
Obviously a cutch is something you're dependent on that you don't actually need. I'm pretty sure you understand this given >>3053809
I think >>3053840 is saying it just fine. There are situations where not using 3D is more advantageous and others where it's not, you're the only one here arguing against that.
>>
>>3053844
This is proof you can't read. I said it's good if he gets better, like you did.
Are all you 3-D connoisseurs this loco?

>>3053838
>>3053839
>I'm eager to hear your delusional response.
>Well, tell yourself that if it can reassure you. You'd be surprised.
*tips fedora

Yeah, no, I'm not patient enough to further waste my time with you.
>>
>>3053846
>Obviously a cutch is something you're dependent on that you don't actually need.
>""""need""""

Thank your dictating the needs of the entire human race. We are all happy to grovel to your standards of necessity.

It couldn't be the case that we have more ambition than you and therefore need more tools. No, every should aim to be as mediocre as you are.
>>
>>3053853
Did you just admit that you need it? Well anon, I think you're the one who's mediocre. Like I said, I already know 3D. I don't in any way feel inferior, especially now that you're saying you can't do shit without it
>>
So you're saying that we have to basically train on our own on paper for several dozens of years until we get to master level and THEN we can be "allowed" to use proper tools?

Sure buddy.
>>
>>3053382
I can see it being helpful for concepting detailed objects like spacecraft in multiple views or anything hard surface for that matter.
>>
>>3053838
If use a bottle opener to pop a beer, you're using a tool.

If you know that it works on the principle of leverage, you can use any other object to open that bottle. You're still using the bottle opener, since it's made for that specific purpose and convenient.

If you don't know how the bottle opener works, however, and thus are only able to open your beer with that one tool, you're using it as a crutch.
>>
>>3053855
>Did you just admit that you need it? Well anon, I think you're the one who's mediocre. Like I said, I already know 3D. I don't in any way feel inferior, especially now that you're saying you can't do shit without it

Of course I needed. My project is so huge and ambitious that you would usually need a dozen 2D artists to complete. Making a movie was out of the realm of possibility for a single artist 20 years ago. Not anymore.

BIGGER is the keyword. You're content and complacent with the number of drawings and painting that you pump out. That's why you say you don't need 3D. Your work is easy and without many requirements. You draw furry pron I presume?

> I don't in any way feel inferior, especially now that you're saying you can't do shit without it
I can absolutely do my way around without 3D. I have done it for years. But I want more and better.

If you had to make a comic book with 3000 pages, how course you would NEED special tools to complete the goal. That's the necessity.
>>
File: 1488730241889.jpg (116KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1488730241889.jpg
116KB, 640x480px
>>3053872
>If you had to make a comic book with 3000 pages, how course you would NEED special tools to complete the goal

Or you can just take 30 years on it, simple and you won't be a "hack".
>>
>>3053878
So you would rather just fucking die before completing your goals just to protect your ego?
>>
>>3053866
>If you don't know how the bottle opener works, however, and thus are only able to open your beer with that one tool, you're using it as a crutch.

So is the internet a crutch if you don't know how TCI/IP works?

If the cut out is not understanding the tool then using crutches is the default state of 100% of humanity.
>>
>>3053872
I'm not talking about specific large-scale projects, and never was. I'm talking about general art. I'm talking about needing a 3D program just to create a simple sketch
>>
>>3053882
>I'm not talking about specific large-scale projects, and never was. I'm talking about general art. I'm talking about needing a 3D program just to create a simple sketch

You never stated that.
You don't dictate the needs of others. If I need a to ride a car to complete my job don't call it a crutch because you only need a bike for yours.

Same with that "general art" nonsense. We all have different goals and needs. There is no general path for everyone.
>>
>>3052815

If you produce shit. Don't do it.

You either have to be amazing at sculpting or painting or both.
>>
just trace, only crab buckets insist that you learn loomis and other stupid shit that's irrelevant in the world of technology
>>
File: 1477702953741.jpg (350KB, 1300x920px) Image search: [Google]
1477702953741.jpg
350KB, 1300x920px
>>3052815
do whatever you want, don't care about what other people think

but

why would you not want to learn how to draw properly? do you enjoy drawing or not?
the journey is the reward
>>
>>3053894
wrong, if you can use tools to boost your skill, you're an inefficient retard if you choose to purposely cripple yourself
>>
>>3053891
not going to make it
>>
>>3053896
how am I wrong? I only said you have to learn how to draw - meaning you have to study anatomy, perspective, gesture, ... but simply tracing won't magically boost your skill, you idiot. if you think it might help you, I say again, do whatever you want. if you like the result, do it.
>>
File: itt.jpg (68KB, 884x800px) Image search: [Google]
itt.jpg
68KB, 884x800px
ITT:

>how legit is to make a 3D reference picture then simply draw on top of it?

>IF YOU DON`T USE 3D MODELS YOU`LL LITERALLY DIE FROM THE WORKLOAD IN THE INDUSTRY OH MY GOD WHY DID I TAKE THIS JOB?

>OMG YOU OPENED A 3D PROGRAMM??? DON`T YOU KNOW THAT THIS LITERALLY SUCKS THE SKILL OUT OF YOU?

>B-BUT CAN YOU DRAW 60000 CLOWNS JUGGLING HIGHLY DETAILED MECHS WITH PEN AND PAPER? HA, DIDN`T THINK SO!

fuck this board
>>
>>3053908
>OMG YOU OPENED A 3D PROGRAMM??? DON`T YOU KNOW THAT THIS LITERALLY SUCKS THE SKILL OUT OF YOU?
More like
>3D programs are really useful, you just need to make sure not to grow dependent on them
At least that's how it started >>3053635
>>
>>3053881
If you intend to make money with it, you better do, you dense fuck.
>>
>>3053908

Pretty much this. Shit board swamped by weebs and strangely idealistic artists whom are mostly inexperienced yet are absolutely steadfast in their opinions. Just drop your blog in the self promotion thread and seek greener pastures.
>>
>>3053906
all of those issues can be solved with a 3d program idiot. i say again, wrong
>>
>>3053929
You should learn how to solve it yourself first, is all we're saying.
>You're an inefficient retard if you choose to purposely cripple yourself
>>
File: 1477749425660.jpg (483KB, 1278x700px) Image search: [Google]
1477749425660.jpg
483KB, 1278x700px
>>3053929
wow you are so full of yourself, I give it one last shot.
why would you want to rob yourself from the experience of drawing? drawing is a whole other process than tracing.
drawing and tracing is not the same. there is nothing wrong with tracing, I don't mind it. I don't feel cheated if some other artist decides to trace a 3D model and sell it.
tracing is one good way of studying the source material.
but what I am not interested in is replacing drawing with tracing. because I do enjoy drawing and tracing is not the same thing.
you get it now?
as another anon said in another thread - drawing from imagination is problem solving. I get into a whole other mind set when I have to figure out how a body stands in space. and I enjoy doing this.
you only seem to be interested in the result, and that is fine, so do whatever turns you on.
>>
>>3053253
Can you show me an example? I'm just curious about this because I am a art pleb.
>>
>>3052822

Worrying about how legit something is is for amateurs.
>>
>>3053944
Traced (amateur) drawings most often lack lineweight and are badly stylized, since they are not coming up with a solution on how to convert 3D to 2D on their own. Apart from the bad linework they also tend to either use boring colors (if they pick the original ones) or flat out bad ones (like using only midtones, having unfitting color schemes, or are incoherent in their light source)
You can work around those limitations by using lighting in your 3D program, stealing color schemes and so on, but it's generally easier to know what you should look for. It's not their inability to draw, that makes amateur tracings look bad, but mostly their inability to know what's important and what to look for.
>>
No one except other art nerds cares about your process.

All that matters is the end result.
>>
>>3054690
I'd actually say only DA tier amateurs care, professional artists know better.
>>
3dlearningfag here
there's no shortcuts, you'll have to either learn everything about 3D to create something like pic related, or like the others say learn how to draw. or maybe combine the two but it'll still take a long-ass time.
>>
>>3055091
Bro I literally just added apprego to my torrent client. creepy.
>>
>>3054386
/Thread
Thread posts: 124
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.