[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I successfully compose a still life for a painting? Pic

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_2579.jpg (1MB, 2891x2214px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2579.jpg
1MB, 2891x2214px
How do I successfully compose a still life for a painting?

Pic related is my work in progress.
>>
>>3051424
check Morandi, keep things simple and balanced!
>>
>>3051438
as much as i love morandi, and i really do, have you ever seen one of his paintings irl, they're like 1000 times better, and they're great already.

anyway, i don't think that's a great model for generic beginner compositions, because he was a clever guy doing clever stuff. for beginners the usual advice like arrange things in groups, big things at the back, always have an odd number of things, don't have anything touching the frame, etc. beginner stuff is better.
>>
File: IMG_2582.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2582.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Warmer?
>>
>>3051483
get rid of the medal, get rid of the shoes.
>>
>>3051486
I can understand the medal, but I think the shoes have a lot of character
>>
>>3051483
yes i like that, having the globe over there by itself is v. cute.
>>
>>3051487
the shoes should be a seperate painting. stop trying to cram everything you have for a still life into one painting.

90% of your still life's should probably be food anyways. The painting is what matters, not the objects.
>>
>>3051492
lol, what do you mean exactly, because you sound like an idiot. the objects in a still life don't matter? the subject of the painting? the composition, the colors? nothing matters but the paint on the canvas? why paint at all?
>>
Stick to photography
>>
File: IMG_2584.jpg (500KB, 2219x1665px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2584.jpg
500KB, 2219x1665px
This may very well be the one I end up painting. Thoughts?
>>
>>3051628
Get rid of the fucking shoes, they are casting such a huge shadow on the clock you can't even make out the tiny painting on it. I have a feeling you don't actually know how you're going to paint it either way so whatever do what you want.
>>
>>3051628

Personally I would get rig of the car, it;s offsetting the composition a little and painting gold is a bit difficult. Other than that it looks good, like the lighting too.
>>
>>3051483
This is great.
>>
>>3051628
A still life is a study
You shouldn't ask:
>what would be enjoyable to paint?
instead ask:
>what can I learn from this?

There are many things you can learn from still lifes, it's a study of reality
>how different coloured light affects different coloured objects
>how materials look, how light affects these materials - the way it reflects, how materials are shaped
>How shadows form
>how light reflects onto other objects
>how fabrics fold and crease
>many many more

Still lifes make for pretty paintings but they should always be a study
>>
>>3051492
>90% of your still life's should probably be food anyways
lardass detected
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.