[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't think I'm suited for art. I started drawing

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

I don't think I'm suited for art.
I started drawing properly about a year or so ago, and I cannot draw realism to save my life. Save me, /ic/.
(Yes, I know the pic looks like complete shit.)
>>
>>3051060
>1 year ago
>one
>year
>ago
>???????

I don't see the issue here.
>>
>>3051067
I forgot to mention that art was one of my hobbies from when I was fifteen, then I stopped at 18 because I just didn't find it enjoyable. 4 years later I started again but I feel I'm making no improvement.
>>
>>3051060
>I started drawing properly
obviously not
>>
>>3051060
>signature
>published on the internet

there's your problem. stop trying to make art and start practicing for the sake of getting better.

brass instruments' musicians spend most of their practice time not playing music, even as professionals. the arban books are probably read everyday more than bibles
>>
>>3051060
That isnt proper drawing. You skipped anatomy. You can drawn anime weebshit as much as you want but you have to study basic anatomy first. That isnt how abs work. Look that ahit up before you draw it.
>>
>>3051108
Also you didnt bother to connect the pectorals to the deltoids and the clavicle doesnt move depending on where you turn your head. Use your own body as a reference.
>>
>>3051060
post your still lifes
>>
>>3051108
I can't draw from life. I'm stuck in this autistic cringy weeb style and I can't escape it.

>>3051083
Yes.
>>
>>3051114
>I can't draw from life
What the fuck are you on about faggot?
Draw from ref for 30 minutes to an hour a day. It will be drawing from life. Unless you are saying you believe it physically impossible for yourself to do in which case you should probably give up because you obviously want to git gud but are unwilling to put any of the required effort in to do it.
>>
>>3051114

Of course you can, you dumb faggot. It might not be the perfect environment, but there's plenty of figure drawing practice (books and pictures) on the internet, there are even sites dedicated to it.

That said, I feel like you should work on your perspective first, you animu shit looks flat as fuck, and you don't seem to have a good enough grasp of shape and shading.
>>
>>3051112
>>3051121
This is what I mean, I drew this while on holiday but it didn't turn out well at all. I just hate everything I draw.
>>
>>3051145
good, keep it.

Now do it a few hundred more times.

Then look back at this one.
>>
Listen to me OP.

You're fresh and therefore you have a clean slate. Let me help you not make mistakes that every artist makes.

Draw from reference. All the time! Draw from imagination as little as possible as a beginner or else you will develop horrible habits that will make drawing even harder for you when you are a professional.

Do not depend on linework. "Lines" are an illusion. All details are described by light and shadow and you would do well to learn the fundamentals of light and shadow. There are people out there who can make linework look nice but trust me, they are setting themselves up for a quick artistic death. Learning how light and shadows work will not payoff immediately but it's the correct way.

Draw from life. Don't draw other people's drawings because you're making a copy of a copy. You should always draw from life and then abstract it in a way that YOU like. When you draw from other peoples work you are making mistakes AND copying their mistakes.

Always have someone critiquing your work. Learn how to take a critique. Learn how to take criticism. It might seem like a pain in the ass listening to people shit talk your work but it's the best way to make your art skills razor sharp. It's the best way to spot and correct mistakes.

Have fun. Always try to have fun. If you're having fun even shitty art can improve a little. When you're enjoying yourself you're more likely to imbue your art with personality, humour, and life.

Do not get stuck in the endless cycle of trying to "draw something cool" or "get likes on facebook" or even "getting praised by friends". Art is a constant learning experience. You should always be improving and learning new things every day. If you get through the day and didn't learn anything knew you just wasted your day no matter how many people like your art that you posted.
>>
Levi a shit.
>>
>>3051149
>Draw from life. Don't draw other people's drawings because you're making a copy of a copy

not the OP but a random fine art anon.

just wanna say your main advice is spot on. But the quoted one is where I want to rebut. First of all, Yes, it is good an artist must draw from life. But to tell a beginner who still struggles to do this is like telling someone who can't swim to go dive off the deep end on the first go. Drawing people from life requires skill. People are not stagnant and are always moving.

OP needs to understand technique first, even if it means having to copy another as a beginning stage. This is not to say OP should then stick with this method. This is short term ONLY. Once OP gets the gist of developing hand-eye-mind coordination from another artwork, then he/she draws from life because he/she will better understand the flow of how to do it.
>>
>>3051149
It's an all right post aside from "draw from imagination as little as possible"

op should keep drawing from imagination along with life drawings

if you deny yourself that you will lose your imagination
>>
>>3051145
Dude just pick Keys to drawing and read a couple chapters. Draw yourself a nice Stravinsky and then head straight over to Drawabox.
You'll be fine, you've only been drawing for a year for fuck's sake. In my first year I made zero visible progress, but that's because I didn't know how to learn. You have /ic/, you have the sticky, you have the artbook thread, so decide whether this is what you want and then stop feeling sorry for yourself ffs.

>>3051776
>keep drawing from imagination along with life drawings, if you deny yourself that you will lose your imagination
Can confirm. 4 years ago I had so many cool ideas I just had to learn the skill. Now I have the skill to draw almost anything but I forgot why. It's like learning a language and forgetting what you wanted to say in the first place.
Feels bad, man.
>>
>>3051060
Yeah you should give up and do something else. Not that your work sucks but you've barely tried and you're already complaining like a bitch. Getting good requires discipline and patience not unrealistic expectations of grandeur and baby tears when shit gets tough.
>>
>>3051789
I too fell in the same mistake thanks to /ic/ some years back.

When I came back to just drawing the stuff I like, even my improvements were faster.

Applying your studies to the kind of work you want to do is the fastest way to improve in my experience.
>>
>>3051754
>this is like telling someone who can't swim to go dive off the deep end on the first go
But with art, there is no danger in failure
You only become stronger by struggling
>>
>>3052062

Eh... unguided training/practice is much less productive long term. Sure, you'll learn some stuff, but having someone (or a good book) giving tips along the way and actually pushing yourself to learn new stuff every time you sit to study will make things go much faster (if not as enjoyable, since staying in your own comfort zone is always more... comfortable).
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.