[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which people have been inspiring you the most throughout your

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: 10.jpg (106KB, 414x548px) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg
106KB, 414x548px
Which people have been inspiring you the most throughout your artistic journey? What books or movies made you not just a better artist but a better person as a whole.
>>
>>3046978
>Robert Henri's Art Spirit
>Craig Mullins' journey and Sijun pdf
>Howard Pyle's notes
>Harvey Dunn's notes
>>
>>3046986
i think I have his sijun PDF thing but where is the rest of mullins' journey?

I would also love to read through the latter two if you can share them.
>>
>>3046989
Forgot to add one thing - currently reading through Norman Rockwell's "My Adventures as an Illustrator" (sorry only have it in print format).

The mad man dictated while his son wrote everything down.
>>
>>3046989
By "Mullins' journey" I meant more like, his life story. He mentions bits and pieces of it throughout the Sijun pdf, basically he was untalented and a late starter, then over decades gradually worked his way to the top.

The Dunn notes can be found here: http://www.robolus.com/H.Dunn-EveningClassroom.pdf

The Pyle notes are not online but I have a copy of them. They're fairly similar to the Dunn notes since he taught Dunn.
>>
>>3046996
Thank you for the PDF!

Where can I get Pyle's notes in print form? ebay/amazon?
>>
My parents encourage me to pursue art
But I just picked up oil painting and showed them one of my WIPs
They shat on it lol
>>
come on people, share your spiritual mentors
>>
I think Stape has been the biggest influence on me so far.
He's meant to be turning his blog into a book, but you can get all the juice right here.
Edit; won't let me post link. Just search Stapleton Kearns blog.

Warning; epic time-suck ahoy.
>>
Friends that also draw
>>
>>3046986
are you me
>>
>>3046986
Can you please share the sijun PDF
>>
File: 1408088525.jpg (660KB, 1500x802px) Image search: [Google]
1408088525.jpg
660KB, 1500x802px
>>3046978
The movie Rio 2, ended up watching a behind the scenes thing of that which then introduced me to art. Pretty much the reason I started drawing.
And in terms of people I'd say Ruan Jia, who got me into painting rather than drawing animu and cartoon faces all day
>>
>>3047551
It's in the art books mega drive somewhere.
>>
>>3046986
>>Harvey Dunn's notes

I'm glad someone finally brought it up. it's practically a holy text in the industry.
>>
File: c.jpg (57KB, 658x616px) Image search: [Google]
c.jpg
57KB, 658x616px
This random chinese artist I once found on weibo years ago and now have a folder of works I look at literally everyday. What's funny is as the years go by and I get a more keen eye, I start to notice they weren't as godly good as I used to think as a novice, but i've been obsessed for so long that I won't shake it off until I feel i've surpassed them. I think I'm close to achieving it and I can't wait to get over them and move on
>>
File: hallucinogenic-toreador-1970.jpg (915KB, 1170x1600px) Image search: [Google]
hallucinogenic-toreador-1970.jpg
915KB, 1170x1600px
When I was a kid I always liked drawing and drew largely stuff from cartoons and comic books. I was never interested in art it always seemed very boring, it was either boring portraits of people or naked dudes or cans of soup or splattered paint and I didn't understand none of it. It wasn't until I was about 16 or so, that by mere accident a friend lent me a book which on the cover had a painting by Salvador Dali and I immediately fell in love with. Went to a library and checked out a book on Dali and it was an experience like never before, as I started flipping through the pages it really was something indescribable. I then started replicating his style, I moved from cartoons to something more serious, I now wanted to study anatomy, color theory, real shading and so on to draw better, and as I started reading about him I also became interested in Michelangelo, Vermeer, Velazquez, Goya etc.. the artists that Dali liked. As I got more serious in art I began to understand what once seemed very boring. Long story short, drawing was something that I did just as a hobby and mainly just did cartoons and doodles, but Dali was my gateway drug that introduced me to more proper and serious art.
>>
>>3046978
Mostly games and books, fantasy stuff like Warcraft, diablo, tolkiens works.
>>
File: 1497121062802.jpg (384KB, 1079x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1497121062802.jpg
384KB, 1079x1600px
>>3046978
Hearing about people's struggles and fanatical autism.

Michaelangelo's life, Beethoven leaving rotten food all over his room. Apparently Karl Marx trudged through Britain's Detroit everyday to study at the library even though he had painful boils and was poor as fuck.

For skill, probably Velazques, Munch and Repin.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.