[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>try to draw >10 minutes in mind starts insisting I play

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 11

File: 1335164910613.jpg (71KB, 557x433px) Image search: [Google]
1335164910613.jpg
71KB, 557x433px
>try to draw
>10 minutes in mind starts insisting I play vidya or browse 4chan
>can never achieve the "flow" i've heard so much about
anyone know what it's like? apparently accessing flow means you can sit there for hours focused on your work, what's the trick?
>>
By having some self control / discipline.
>>
You just ignore whatever your mind is screaming at you and do the work.

Sounds simple but obviously the reality is very difficult.
>>
>>3045263
>no dad
>fat
>video game addict
please help, I really need some tips for discipline.

>>3045264
>the reality is very difficult.
i'm literally screaming at myself and I still can't do it. a part of my mind is like nope we're doing it, fuck what you think
>>
File: 1451689827692.png (54KB, 657x788px) Image search: [Google]
1451689827692.png
54KB, 657x788px
>>3045269
the first it meaning drawing, the second being vidya/4chan, my apologies I'm retarded
>>
>>3045257
you just do it for more than 10 minutes you idiot lol, shouldn't you have at least hit flow in a video game
>>
>>3045257
your brain isn't used to doing things without instant gratification anymore. 4chan, the internet, video games, tv shows etc is all instant gratification. What you need to be doing is before you start drawing, you do something you consider to be even more boring. Like taking a walk, meditating or reading a book or whatever.
>>
>>3045294
>something you consider to be even more boring. Like taking a walk, meditating or reading a book or whatever.
this sounds like it could actually work, ill try meditating
>>
>>3045269
>i'm literally screaming at myself and I still can't do it. a part of my mind is like nope we're doing it, fuck what you think

Try and think about how miserable you'll be in 20 years when you still can't draw, when you feel like you wasted your life playing video games, when all you want is a second chance to work hard and achieve your goals.

We only get one shot at this life anon (as far as we know). May as well make the most of it.
>>
I get it when I'm excited about what I'm drawing, where I get lost in it and lose track of time, before I know it the sun is up. I don't really get it with studies though.

You can still find time for video games. Drawing constantly 24/7 can exhaust you and it's important you go and get inspiration from various sources (including video games.)
>>
>>3045269
Step one for discipline.

Stop blaming others or other things for your own problems and actions.

Not having a dad, being fat, and playing videogames do not preclude you from being disciplined, you're just using them as excuses to avoid figuring out and taking the steps necessary to be so.

You don't need your dad
Go to the gym and eat healthier
Uninstall and stop playing videogames

Get to it.
>>
>>3045257
>>can never achieve the "flow" i've heard so much about

The flow is something achieved when the brain has integrated your efforts and rewired itself. It's used to perform, not to learn.

You don't need that where you're right now. You need baby steps. Instead of trying to put 30 minutes into it, spend 3 times 10 minutes, with a small break of 5 minutes to go check whatever. Then try to cut off the break. That's it, you're now able to focus half an hour. Do 3 times half an hour with 10 minutes break. Repeat.
Students spending 6 or 8 hours on hard stuff exist but they trained themselves progressively. Honestly the way you speak sounds more like an addiction to instant reward than anything. Ask yourself what reward could be replaced with, because learning to draw won't replace the dopamine rush, it's a slow endeavour (even if ultimately more rewarding, your brain doesn't care).
>>
>>3045257
>print references,templates,books,etc that you need for your drawing session
>turn off your pc
>???
>draw for 6-7 hours per day
easy.
>>
File: flow.png (159KB, 458x436px) Image search: [Google]
flow.png
159KB, 458x436px
flow happens when you are properly challenged, when you dont find the task too easy nor too hard see pic related. i recommend reading the books by that hungarian psychologist the one called finding flow. or you might want to try reading the book peak by anders ericsson
>>
>>3045348 >>3045257

it seems the conditions for flow are as follows:
Knowing what to do
Knowing how to do it
Knowing how well you are doing
Knowing where to go (if navigation is involved)
High perceived challenges
High perceived skills
Freedom from distractions
>>
>>3045348
I'd swap relaxation and boredom around.
>>
Well if you don't want to draw, I.E you want to vidya instead, then that is probably not the moment to even try. Draw when you don't feel like doing anything else and draw when you know what you want to draw.

However, if you are interested in ways to keep yourself actively drawing, a good way is always to draw something roughly and not necessarily so accurate. Then every time you draw you can improve on that sketch and make it better each and every time you draw. This way you don't have to get frustrated when what you've drawn doesn't look good because you can always improve on it at a late stage.

TL;DR don't make drawings 1-session projects, work on them multiple times and try to improve them as you go along.
>>
>>3045348
>tfw low skill

apathy, worry or anxiety are my only choices. I'm fucked huh...
>>
i love drawing more than anything else, so i dont understand. why even draw if you like gaming more?
>>
>>3045257
Listen to a podcast. Music is also good in the later stages of a drawing.
>>
>>3045269

If you lack any discipline whatsoever you need to train it.

If you can't draw for 10 minutes without fucking off and doing something else, draw for 10 minutes, then FORCE yourself to draw for, say, 5 more. Once you can regularly do 15, do 20, once you can do 20, do 30.

Once you're started it's usually not hard to push yourself that tiny bit further. The more consistently you do it, the better you get at it. "By making and keeping promises to ourselves and others, little by little, our honor becomes more important than our moods."
>>
>>3045257
Flow is just that good feeling you get when you're absorbed in what you're doing and there is nothing distracting you.

This can happen any time. Most notably it happens when you're watching a good movie or playing vidya. Or even when you're doing mundane tasks like cleaning your house, doing dishes, laundry, etc. It's just that space you get into when all that's in your focus is the activity and nothing else. It feels good because it gives you a break from the constant loop of thinking about yourself all the time.

At first, when you don't know how to consciously tap into this feeling, you have to just create the conditions where it can happen. That can be done by setting time aside to practice drawing. You have to complete the time you planned for though, and it has to be longer than 10 mins. Maybe an hour at least. At some point, you'll start to sense satisfaction from diligently doing your work. That's flow. You're happy in the process of completing your task. You feel like you're achieving purpose.

Flow usually isn't enough to keep you disciplined though. It's a good feeling but instant gratification can sometimes win it over. What helps in maintaining a practice is your sense of responsibility for your gains. If you practice say for a week, you wouldn't want to waste all that progress. That can keep you practicing for the next week. You will eventually put so much time into it that you feel like you can no longer squander all of your investment.
>>
>>3045650
just on work on your skills then
>>
File: 1456255039195.png (9KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
1456255039195.png
9KB, 205x246px
>>3046085
>just bee yourself
>>
>>3045963
>needing music to draw
NGMI
>>
>>3045269
1) a dad won't magically make you draw
2) stop stuffing your face and exercise
3) uninstall vidya

You can do all of this if you wanted to, but you don't. So stop making your own threads if your not planning on doing anything about it.
>>
>>3046117
this, I zone it out like 3min into drawing and hours pass without anything playing.
I just draw in silence, don't care about sound when I draw. using my brain and eyes anyway
>>
File: image.jpg (65KB, 600x398px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 600x398px
>>3045348
This must be onto something because it actually shows me why my art looks the way it does.

>>3045980
This is a good strategy. It works with exercise as well. Tell yourself that you're doing 30 minutes of lifting and it will turn into 90
>>
>>3045306
Do you print off your reference materials when you are studying?
>>
>>3045257
Hello, fellow ADD/ADHD anon.
>>
When I lived alone,getting to the Drawing Zone required a cup of coffee and an hour's videogaming to get the caffeine into my bloodstream. But it could be done by smoking pot too a lot faster. Try music,a scented candle, and other ceremonies to ease you into a creative mindset.
>>
>>3047886
>Try music,a scented candle, and other ceremonies to ease you into a creative mindset.
We could use more info here. I just use earplugs personally.
>>
>>3047894
Get your hands on the Sixth and Seventh Books of Moses, draw the indicated symbols on the floor of your workspace, and you're good to go.
>>
File: image.jpg (52KB, 736x414px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 736x414px
>>3047898
Everyone should have the ability to choose what is good for themselves.

https://christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-occult.html
>>
>>3045257
art isnt for everyone
>>
File: hum2.jpg (88KB, 769x701px) Image search: [Google]
hum2.jpg
88KB, 769x701px
I was lurking around for something like this as I feel incredibly uninspired and uninterested and every thing I sketch seems dull and boring to me.And it's not skill related,it's idea related. I don't have something I want to do.A project or a picture I want to paint.Nothing.
but still,I have a little something telling me to draw,an urge.But I don't feel like it.

I think this is connected with inspiration a determination

>>3045353
you are onto something here.
>>3047955
i don't see how that quote is related to inspiration,at least in the artistic sense.
I think it might be referring to "inspiration" as it "faith"
>>
>>3045257
Try this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOe9GNEDKZ8&
and this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N60bMFqkcpU&

and don't forget about this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsVzKCk066g&
>>
File: BTFOpooh.jpg (22KB, 183x221px) Image search: [Google]
BTFOpooh.jpg
22KB, 183x221px
>>3045257
Just draw what you want. Isn't it what you want to draw? If you wanted to draw something, you would draw it without a problem.

You probably didn't actually want to draw in the first place.
>>
File: 1443997973869.jpg (103KB, 657x809px) Image search: [Google]
1443997973869.jpg
103KB, 657x809px
>>3045257
>pic
Y bully the panda?
>>
>>3045318
Not him, but fuck you.
>>
File: IMAG001.jpg (30KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG001.jpg
30KB, 512x512px
>>3047894
I meant more of actions one repeats to reinforce a mental state conductive to creating. The Anon has trouble with being easily distracted, so a little positive enviormental nuance might help. Something to ease the wandering mind into Art Time and keep it there,and associating the other senses with this will help:favorite beverage on hand,inspirational music,incense. Then the real Magic can begin.
>>
>>3050206
this, cringeworthy "motivational". the retard is practically masturbating to his own post
>>
>>3045257
The times i best get into flow is when i really enjoy what im doing.

Think of it like reading a book. You enter a different headstate and just fall into the thing you're doing.
>>
>>3045296
Heads up, living life without the instant pleasure is going to feel BORING. So SO boring at first. This is good. Boring is good because you're trading short term pleasure for long term contentment. You will be happier and have more self respect and maybe stop referring to yourself as a dadless fat loser
>>
>>3045257
I always start a drawing then take breaks in between and play rocket league or something. Put on some good tunes also to help with the flow. It's more about enjoying your time while you draw imo
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.