[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, /ic/. I've recently decided I want to make it so

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 51u1fomD-IL[1].jpg (44KB, 412x500px) Image search: [Google]
51u1fomD-IL[1].jpg
44KB, 412x500px
Hello, /ic/. I've recently decided I want to make it so I picked up How to Draw and How to Render by Scott Robertson. First off, how the hell do I apply any of what he's saying? Am I supposed to build a perspective grid for every single drawing I make? Can his information readily be applied to organic forms? I get that he likes drawing cars and environments, but what about people?

TL;DR, will grinding his exercises by making perspective grids and drawing houses and cars and shit make me better at drawing "freehand", without (or with few) perspective and construction lines, or is this my new reality? Because otherwise this feels very much like cheating and kind of takes the soul out of drawing for me.
>>
>>3044110
scott robertson is a meme
>>
>>3044113

Don't listen to these memes. I know artists that have went through scott robertson and most of them end up with stiff, lifeless work.

Here are some realistic results you'll gain after going through scott robertson for a few years(I say few years because even though these artists got it in a year it's only because they had an instructor present plus they were drawing 12 hours a day so the learning speed is greatly speed up by 2-4 times the speed of your typical self taught artists who probably puts in anywhere from 2-6 hours a day.

http://fzdschool.com/entertainment-design/before-and-after

You get better at what you do. If you wanna get better at freehanding backgrounds, cars and shit then practice freehanding it. Of course, you'll still need a basic understanding of perspective. Here is an alternative approach:

Perspective made easy(coveDrs all perspective essentials) plus Dynamic bible( goes more in depth into vehicles, animals, landscapes) using basic forms as opposed to those ridiculous xyz section drawings that only industrial design artists need.
>>
>>3044122
did you meant to say "I know artists that haven't went through scott robertson..."?
>>
>>3044110
Unless you're aiming to do concept work for car companies or become an architect, skip most of how to draw.
T. Someone who worked his way through the entire book
>>
>>3044128
No, I meant artists that have. Most artists that use a fzd style approach have stiff art.
>>
>>3044110

It compliments with Erik Olson's perspective series really well.
>>
How to Draw is a bit of a meme. It has some useful perspective related techniques in it, but most people shouldn't require it. It's too in-depth. All you need for freehand perspective are the basic principles taught in Perspective Made Easy, plus a few extra tricks like equally spaced objects in perspective, basic grids, etc.
>>
>>3044134
>>3044192
But if you don't read most of How to Draw won't a lot of How to Render be inaccessible?
>>
>>3044139
why, what's with the fzd style?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.