[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how come we don't have generals for comics? i'm sure

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: wip.jpg (952KB, 900x3129px) Image search: [Google]
wip.jpg
952KB, 900x3129px
how come we don't have generals for comics? i'm sure a lot of us are working on something
>>
you do know that theres no thread gods who decide what threads to make? we are all just anons. i mean sure, some people specifically always make generals every time, but if people care about a general thread, someone else will just make one if the other person doesnt.
go ahead and MAKE a comics general and see if its something people wanna do.
>>
File: Love Birds pg1~01.jpg (4MB, 2531x3287px) Image search: [Google]
Love Birds pg1~01.jpg
4MB, 2531x3287px
Im making a comic.
>>
>>3043821
>purple panty dance
*subscribes*
>>
>>3043838
:3
>>
you'd think comics would be fairly easy to do. like the creators would naturally think about what information the reader needs to link all the panels together but it's so rarely done well on the amateur side of things, and even in proper professional """sequential art"""

is it harder than it seems?
>>
>>3043794
Man, I just don't care for the setting and characters of this comic.
>>
>>3043794
for a thread to take off, the OP should post some of his work related to the topic and probably some helpful topics/books to get some people off their fundamental grind and learn doing comics.In average /ic/ has more illustrators online than comic creators
>>
>>3043874
Comics are quite hard to do. I think the reason people have a hard time with page layout is that they lack design skills and storytelling skills. Most people think you just need to be able to draw, but that's not the case.
>>
I take the thread to ask.

I had started a graphic novel when I stopped working on it for work on other projects now that I've completed them and I came back to finishing the graphic novel with the improvements that I could have had in the meantime look bad so I should refine all the pages already completed earlier.
I wonder Is it not that once you've adjusted the first pages and completed all the remaining pages I have to give refine back to all?
And even the sequence of pages I had as a portfolio has become very ugly even those to be redone.
>>
>>3043885
Not sure what you're asking. Are you asking if you have to keep going back and redoing pages as you improve? If so, then no depending on how you plan to release your novel. If you are going to release pages, or chapters overtime online, then it doesn't matter. Because people will expect you to improve. If you plan to release the whole volume, or issue at once, then I think it would look bad if the art wasn't consistent throughout.
>>
File: Sketch29105642.png (1012KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Sketch29105642.png
1012KB, 720x1280px
thoughts on my first page?
>>
>>3043821
It's cute but the layout is awful.
>>
>>3043874
Do you think storytelling is not something you have to practice? It has a higher skill ceiling than drawing does.
>>
>>3044222
wrong, there's no ceiling for art.
>>
>>3043821
stop making comics
>>
>>3044189
Was the guy thrown into the truck?
I'd draw glass shattering outwards from the windshield, or some action motion lines. Otherwise it looks good, I like panels that follow through like that
>>
>>3044245
I figured the reflection in the windscreen in the middle panel gave enough information but I'll take that into consideration. nothing is final yet.
>>
File: s.jpg (144KB, 950x419px) Image search: [Google]
s.jpg
144KB, 950x419px
>>3044189
I don't think the movement is communicated clearly enough considering you spent an entire page on it. the pose in the last panel looks almost relaxed and there's a lot of unnecessary space that doesn't add to the narrative.
It's a good start though, the style and everything, I'd be hooked. Keep it up.
>>
>>3044270
The other guy told me the same thing. Thanks I'll definitely re-evaluate that last panel then.

Still trying to defy genre convention though.
>>
>>3044286
Don't do this for your first comic project. Do this once you're experienced with working with the conventions.
>>
>>3044228
for representational art, of course there is. There are the fundamentals you can master and the rest is personal taste.
>>
>>3044286
>defy genre convention though
Everyone wants to draw cool and unique layouts, but its no use if we can't even understand what's happening. I would say clarity first before anything else.
>>
>>3043821
looks good m8 keep at it
>>
>>3044369
>>3044304

I guess you guys are right but I don't see what's wrong with being ambitious.
>>
>>3044408
How can you break conventions if you don't even properly understand them to begin with?

You biting off more than you can chew. I'd say stick to the basics first, until you master them, then experiment.

Take this analogy for example, what would happen if you tried to do a 720 Gazelle flip on a skateboard if you don't even know how to properly ride? Sure you're athletic, and you can balance yourself just fine, but there's a lot of fine tuning you're missing, and it's just gonna result in you busting your ass.
>>
>>3044408
this >>3044538
>>
>>3044538
Okay I get you. I'll tone it down a notch.
>>
>>3043794
Honestly, I wish that the "How's Your Webcomic" people on /co/ would just come to /ic/ instead. If there's anybody who could use some advice on representational, realistic art, it would be webcomic artists, especially for action webcomics.
>>
>>3043794
a little shading goes a long way anon, hop to it
>>
>>3047281
Well why don't you tell them that?
>>
>>3050178
/hyw/ is pretty hopeless. Lots of the people there refuse to try to improve (such as >>3043794 , who hasn't improved in 10+ years ) and put down any efforts to tell others how to improve. It's abysmal.
>>
Well, this is my second attempt at making a comic. Here is the first page
>>
File: 0001.jpg (239KB, 710x957px) Image search: [Google]
0001.jpg
239KB, 710x957px
at least I'm good at drawing little leaves
>>3043821
a cute
>>
>>3050527
learn to lines
>>
>>3050536
Que? I'm not a fan of super clean lines, this is the look i'm going for: https://tapas.io/episode/652569
>>
>>3050573
not that guy but i think even with what you're aiming for some more care with the some of the lines would make it a lot better. not so much in the actual drawing parts, which i think are quite cute, but in the tones where it's like a bunch of scribble over the top of a nice drawing.
>>
>>3050587
Ah I see. I mostly leave my sketches as line drawings and it shows. I also need to make the panel thicker. Thanks, I'll working on toning.
>>
>>3044247
That was a reflection? Looked like someone inside, and I had to wonder why he was turned 180 in the next panel.
Give a clue that it's a reflection, like part of the body flying in, in the top corner.
Also, see how it looks if panel 2 is halfway zoomed in, and panel 3 is a full zoom on the windshield area. Framing is really useful for lending impact (ha) to your scenes, yet really underutilized.
A comic artist isn't just an illustrator. You're the writer, the director, the actors, the cinematographer, and the editor. All very different skills that you have to master.
>>
>>3050527
The hatching makes it look way too noisy. I don't like hatching in combination with thin lines, even in the example you posted, but in that case at least the artist makes it directional which doesn't make the forms harder to read whereis you are hatching flat accross the form sometimes not even staying within the form like in your first panel with the trees.

If you really want to draw your comic in this exact style, you should make an effort to keep the hatching clean and as a way to help the reader understand what they are looking at more easily, not harder. So in your first panel for example, you could leave the tree branches in the foreground completely clean outlines and then hatch accross the background top to bottom to make the tree branches pop out behind the darker background.
>>
>>3050532
Very nice
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.