[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any books on how to draw UPA style? I've already

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: upamod09-big.jpg (173KB, 1000x889px) Image search: [Google]
upamod09-big.jpg
173KB, 1000x889px
Are there any books on how to draw UPA style?
I've already checked on Amazon with no luck.
>>
what is upa?
>>
File: 1HierarchyComp.jpg (241KB, 1600x1170px) Image search: [Google]
1HierarchyComp.jpg
241KB, 1600x1170px
>>3041450
No but you can always read John K's blog. He parodied the UPA style in the fake commercials and bumpers in Ren and Stimpy and it ended up influencing a lot of cartoons in the 90s (Dexter's Lab, Power Puff Girls and Samurai Jack). I think he wrote that this was regrettable and that the original UPA style only looked good because the artists started out drawing traditional cartoons.
>>
>>3041450
You draw traditionally and pretty much abstract the pose from there into a flat design. A lot of the contemporary UPA imitators got it backwards and made very stiff cartoons as a result.
If you look at cartoons from the early 1940s to the later 1940s you see the natural progression of the traditional style getting more angular up until it gets full on UPA. So just get the Preston Blair book to learn traditional fundamentals first.
>>
>>3042894
>No but you can always read John K's blog.
If you wanna read pseudo-intellectual bullshit about cartoons, of course.
>>
>>3044374
If you can cut through his bullshit there's a ton of useful info and techniques there.
>>
>>3044374
>here's how these cartoons were made and how you can use these tools
>"pseudo-intellectual bullshit"

oh /ic/
>>
>>3044374
He has a no bullshit approach to cartooning. There are so many sensitive people today that can't take that style of teaching nowadays. It's their loss.
>>
>>3041450
study gesture and disregard real anatomy pretty much
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.