[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ey, /ic/. I have something called dysgraphia, which basically

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: WomanOnFire.png (558KB, 585x416px) Image search: [Google]
WomanOnFire.png
558KB, 585x416px
ey, /ic/. I have something called dysgraphia, which basically means I can't draw for shit. I've always been embarrassed by my handwriting, and when I was in highschool I avoided art class at all costs.
Recently I've been trying to channel some creative energy into a new medium and I'm curious what other people think.
>>
File: Cat.png (475KB, 587x596px) Image search: [Google]
Cat.png
475KB, 587x596px
>>
File: Clock.png (426KB, 590x428px) Image search: [Google]
Clock.png
426KB, 590x428px
>>
File: RedHands.jpg (239KB, 353x503px) Image search: [Google]
RedHands.jpg
239KB, 353x503px
>>
File: PaperCuts.png (500KB, 473x595px) Image search: [Google]
PaperCuts.png
500KB, 473x595px
Last one for now. Feedback and criticism pls!
>>
>dysgraphia

Is this diagnosed or did you just try to draw, notice you were shit, and assumed it was a mental illness?

Also my own handwriting is utter garbage and it hasn't impacted my ability to learn art. Largely different skillsets, calligraphy notwithstanding. From what I understand, Dysgraphia applies more to handwriting than art.

Also they're shit, but you're a beginner so that's normal. Don't use muh abstraction as a substitute for skill.
>>
>>3041412
I was diagnosed with Dysgraphia in the fifth grade and worked with an occupational therapist for the next five years. Also, it's not a mental illness.

It effects visual-spacial comprehension as well as well as fine motor skills, so it certainly does not apply specifically to print.

>Also they're shit
This post is shit. Not that I necessarily agree with your conclusion, you haven't told me why you think what you do. I am left with no insight into how to improve and a feeling of disappointment.

3/10
>>
>>3041420
*disagree
>>
>>3041384
>I have something called dysgraphia

Then why do you draw? Find another hobby. Do music. Sing or something.
>>
>>3041420
Sturgeon's Law applies twice here at /ic/

The artposts will be shit, and the comments will be shit.

Not sure if 90% of 100%
>>
>>3041462
I'm actually a multi-instrument and I sing.

>why do you draw?
Because I enjoy it? I'm doing the best I can working with what I have. Any other suggestions?
>>
>>3041384
Op I think it's totally admirable that you're drawing despite a physical ailment that would normally dissuade a person in your position from doing so. That being said I doubt you'll get any good feedback here because all anyone knows how to do here is point out anatomical mistakes. Literally that's it. And honestly I really like how your pieces work as illustrations. Thy have a certain authentic charm to them that is relatively difficult to come by. I could see them as illustrations to some morbid children's book, indie album art, if you had a good philosophy and context behind them and created large scale works I could even see work like this hanging in a gallery if you refine your voice. Search for other self taught/ outsider artists and pay attention to how they worked and what they did to play to their own strengths, but most importantly just keep working dude
>>
>>3041486
Thank you very much for the thoughtful response! Most of these are indeed larger pieces, so I'm happy you said that. Maybe I'll try to get them some exposure some day.

>Search for other self taught/ outsider artists
Anyone come to mind when you say that?
>>
>>3041492
Yves tanguy and Matta spring to mind immediately, although matta was educated he was never really trained specifically in art. There are others but I can't remember their names right now and I'm at work so I can't really look them up either. But as an addenendum I will say that just because you can never become a great technician doesn't mean you can't have a good handle in other aspects of art. Learn how to make interesting compositions, utilize the golden ratio, really dial in on your palette and make your colors harmonize, etc. stare at your work. Really just stare at it for like an hour, and don't do anything else. Recognize what you felt you were successful at, what you don't like, what ideas you enjoyed playing with, what ideas you liked but executed poorly. Compare your work to others' work that is similar to yours. And see what you can take away. Again just keep going at it.
>>
>>3041384
I used to have dysgraphia, but reading the sticky completely cured it.
>>
>>3041523
Thank you I will try this right away
>>
>>3041520
Really helpful stuff. Thanks again
>>
I like them, though you need to work on your photography. these pictures feel claustrophobic, zoom out a little
>>
>>3041532
Agreed, I took these with my phone instead of my camera, which was a mistake.
>>
Your style is beautiful.
>>
File: image.jpg (89KB, 634x751px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89KB, 634x751px
>>3041384
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2549118/Freud-master-art-not-handwriting-Painters-note-student-reveals-childlike-scrawl.html
>Excuses. Let's hear yours again.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.