[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I doing a woodcut, now I'm gonna add some color layer.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: pasaro1.png (437KB, 500x521px) Image search: [Google]
pasaro1.png
437KB, 500x521px
I doing a woodcut, now I'm gonna add some color layer. Can't decide between these two versions which one you think is better?

The bird is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rufous_hornero
>>
File: pasaro2.png (439KB, 500x521px) Image search: [Google]
pasaro2.png
439KB, 500x521px
Heres the second option.
>>
>>3041018

man that beautiful, go with the first option, its very graphic and tasteful
>>
interesting choice of subject, why not do it closer to the real bird, seems to have a nice rusty brown colour.
of the two, the first one i like the most
>>
i think it would be cool too if you made like a japanese style gradient
>>
The first option is better IMO.
>>
I'd buy that on a shirt. The first one.
>>
File: pasaro3.png (619KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
pasaro3.png
619KB, 600x450px
>>3041021
>>3041029
>>3041032
>>3041068
Thanks for your opinion! I was really in need of an outer point of view. Definitely the first one.

>>3041022
That bird is common around I live, its like a regional symbol. I prefer it with an interpretative color, but I can easily experiment with that when the carving is done. I'm trying to go away from illustrative approach and seeking a more plastic style. It's hard as fuck.

>>3041029
I've seen that technique, but its beyond my current experience. Definitely gonna try it soon.

So, the carvings are done, thanks for the attention, guyse. Tomorrow I'm gonna print and I'll post the result here. Right now they look ugly as fuck but the prints are always a good surprise.
Luv you /ic/.
>>
Love both.
Woodprints are GOAT.
>>
>>3041018
OP, where did you learn woodcarving from? What techniques and materials are you using to make your woodcuts?
I really like woodcuts as a technique, but I've never had a chance to study it from someone, hence the interest.
>>
File: pasaros.png (865KB, 800x589px) Image search: [Google]
pasaros.png
865KB, 800x589px
Here are the first attempts. I still need to do some corrections.
>>
File: prensa.png (614KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
prensa.png
614KB, 800x600px
>>3043031
I'm learning at art school, from my teacher and colleagues.
I use standard woodcarving tools for woodcut (u can find them online).
I use scrap pieces of wood I gather from the university joinery scrap dump from the industrial design course. Most flat pieces of wood will work, each with its own characteristics and challenges (hardness, fiber direction, etc.). The easiest are plain MDF boards, with nice hardness and no fiber direction. In this bird I did the wood had vertical direction, hence the more vertical strokes. There is linoleum too, it is said to be the most easy material for woodcut since its very soft, but I never placed my hands in one.
I use inks from the university studio, which is scrap ink from the university print shop machines. They're oil based but I think other kinds of ink or will work too.
You'll also need a printmaking roll, thats the hardest one to get, since there's not much alternate ways to ink the wood. It is a specific roll for distributing the ink evenly among the surface.
Lastly, you need a press to make the print on the paper, pic related its a press from the studio. Its hard to find one and its expensive, but there is an alternative and efficient way of printing which is with a wooden spoon. You just press the back of the paper against the wood with a wooden spoon or similar tool and the ink will print on the paper. It is troublesome if you want to make a large number of prints. With a press you do it much more quickly, but with spooning you can give unique dynamic to the print by controlling the force you apply in certain areas, making the are more or less dark.
I started doing woodcuts 4 months ago, and its actually pretty easy and intuitive if you already have drawing, composition and light/shadow knowledge. Its nice to do abstract work on them too, specially with exotic wood pieces that contain textures and wooden knots.

Here is a nice page with lots of examples and resources 1000woodcuts.blogspot.com
>>
>>3043727
Thanks for the answer, OP!
You also made me realise I'm just being a lazy slob, since I've already browsed through DIY printing press guides and even some woodcut tutorials.

For example, if you're interested in making your own simple block press, here's two quick links of relevance:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/270286415105892016/
http://www.instructables.com/id/Printing-Press/

As to your work, have you tried different line techniques, ways of separating light and shadow? Are there any books regarding that or woodcarving/woodcuts in general you'd recommend?
Also, since you're still around, what other techniques (other than woodcarving) have you tried out?
>>
>>3043683
looks nice keep up the good work
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.