[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I realize that this is mostly /drawing/ and /crafts/ board, but

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

I realize that this is mostly /drawing/ and /crafts/ board, but I was wondering if one can have meaningful discussion here about contemporary art without pontless arguments about nature and semantics of "art" and "Haha, I can shit on a canvas and call it art"-retards running around
>>
File: 1495354729673.jpg (37KB, 480x430px) Image search: [Google]
1495354729673.jpg
37KB, 480x430px
>discussion
>without pointless arguments

where the FUCK do you think we are, saged
>>
>>3040824
I'm talking about specific pointless arguments, though, not in general
>>
>>3040817

Short answer is 'no'.

Long answer is that it's possible and happens once in a blue moon but not without half of it being derailed by "my nephew could do better and he's dead". Not worth the wait, you may have better luck on other boards, maybe /lit/ if you spark their interest with a specific book on the subject.
As for me, I'm not knowledgeable nor interested in contemporary art (also I hate the label, what a fucking dumb concept, imagine doing the same with music); currently reading concerning the spiritual in art by W.Kandinsky but that's about abstract and modern art, still actual even though it's old. So good luck to you OP.
>>
/his/ can sometimes discuss it in a cultural context (but you still get a lot of "muh degenerate art" and the standard shitposting). And really, most contemporary art (at least the abstract stuff) is either just basic graphic design (muh line next to another line in complimentary colors) or half-baked cultural commentary anyway.

As you can tell, though, my opinion of it isn't particularly high either.
>>
if you allow yourself to check it without judgement there is actually quite a lot of interesting stuff going on. mostly nothing groundbreaking but ive felt new feelings and had new ideas come from modern conceptual stuff. i dont like those that you have to read the description to "get it", because when im at a museum i dont wanna read, same with video art, takes too much time. but, its nice when you find little nuggets.
of course there are a lot of poser shit art that yeah is just shit but i like to just see it as things, come up with my own ideas about stuff, sometimes it can be just the feeling i get from the space for the art. and yeah im really tired of that this isnt art its just a x. try going while stoned or tripping a little bit, its nice : )
>>
File: lookatme.jpg (11KB, 478x350px) Image search: [Google]
lookatme.jpg
11KB, 478x350px
we're the art world now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAExa9P7hME
>>
>>3040876
cool vid
>>
>>3040817
I dont mind contemporary art if it actually looks good and is interesting.

Now if you are pretentious little shit that hangs a piece of dirty black cloth on the wall and call it "art", just die already
>>
>>3040817
Haha, I can shit on a canvas and call it art.
>>
>>3040817
>"Haha, I can shit on a canvas and call it art"
That's the objective truth about contemporary art, though.
>>
>>3041243

whats stopping you?
>>
>>3040817

What exactly do you want to discuss about contemporary art?
>>
File: 020617_0048_1280[1].jpg (709KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
020617_0048_1280[1].jpg
709KB, 1280x960px
>>3042256
I was asking about general discussion, like if it's even possible, is there any practicing artists here etc.

Myself, I'm mostly interested in building installations incorporating different mediums, building narratives in closed spaces, relationships between object and a viewer in general.

I guess stuff like this falls into a "post-conceptual" category, but I really don't like such labels.
>>
>>3040817
Looks like a power rack
>>
File: the_physical_impossibility.jpg (51KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
the_physical_impossibility.jpg
51KB, 640x426px
You won't have a meaningful discussion here. Attitudes towards contemporary art have already shifted, people don't value it anymore and it isn't a new or original idea. I think most people would rather dedicate their time to perfecting technique and expressing beauty rather than smearing elephant shit on a canvas, or cutting a dead sheep into slices.
>>
>>3042615
Judging by the context, it kinda is
https://blog.sculpture.org/2016/10/26/kirill-savchenkovs-museum-of-skateboarding/
>>
>>3042637
Looks like an exhibition for /fit/
>>
>>3042621
It's good thing that the time of loud superstar contemporary artists is passing - without hope of "getting big" and making millions of dollars out of thin air obnoxious frauds are moving on to something else.

And the ones who have serious passion for this discipline stay and do things much more thoughtfully. The landscape really changed a lot in the last decade, for example notions of speculative realism movement resonated greatly in contemporary art world.

I do think it's confusing that those practices mixing anthropology, philosophy, mundane imagery and god-knows-what share the name with the "traditional" art, it creates wrong mindset and false expectations for an unprepared viewer and creates an even bigger backlash than shocking or highly spectacular dead animals in a tanks
>>
File: CbnUjIFW4AAUQ1l.jpg (49KB, 502x799px) Image search: [Google]
CbnUjIFW4AAUQ1l.jpg
49KB, 502x799px
>>3042640

fit art
>>
File: rembrant.jpg (53KB, 552x552px) Image search: [Google]
rembrant.jpg
53KB, 552x552px
>>3042661
>notions of speculative realism movement resonated greatly in contemporary art world.

just fuckin lol
>>
>>3044054
two most right girls are cute
>>
M E T A M O D E R N I S M
>>
>>3044054
This picture just makes me angry. You have no idea what these people are looking at on their phones. They could be reading a commentary on the piece, a biography of the artist, a history of the times and context of the painting. Some museums have QR codes on the painting placard so you can read additional information about the painting on your phone.
>>
>>3043797
rest in peace sweet prince
>>
>>3044554
>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/12103150/Rembrandt-The-Night-Watch-The-real-story-behind-the-kids-on-phones-photo.html
>“The children in the photograph didn’t look up, they just kept staring at their phones."
>>
>>3045645
> “The kids used the iPhones as part of the tour of the museum. Special app… The interpretation of the photo was just wrong. I tried to correct it.”

Also what a shitty article. Do news agencies even try anymore, or is it enough just to throw a bunch of tweets together.
>>
>>3045659
>>“The children in the photograph didn’t look up, they just kept staring at their phones."
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.