[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long would it take to learn color theory if you're already

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: remu_by_fuwaffy-da9q605.jpg (233KB, 1043x1043px) Image search: [Google]
remu_by_fuwaffy-da9q605.jpg
233KB, 1043x1043px
How hard of a skill is color theory anyway? In comparison to anatomy and perspective?

When I look at the progress of most artists color theory, it generally takes them 2 years to get good at it but I think it's because they didn't focus on it. I dunno, what are your thoughts /ic
>>
>>3040800
all depends, if you're doing matte paintings, big landscapes its pretty essential. If you're doing very painterly paintings, it is also pretty good, even though you can just develop a color palette that you use over and over. For weeb anime shit, you might as well download some scheme from the interwebs as nobody gives a fuck.
>>
For me color theory is an absolute pain in the ass but that's mostly because I focus on creating detailed sketches instead of actual paintings and drawings. I only have 1 or 2 actually DECENT paintings because of this.
>>
>>3040800
2 months
learning how to use color is 10% knowing how light works, 70% experimentation, and 20% copying what other people do
>>
>>3040800

Learning color theory and using color artistically are two different things. Some artist never learn to use color well. It's just not in their personality.
>>
Basic color theory is really fucking simple, in terms of understanding color mixing, saturation, compliments, etc.

Application takes a lot more nuance, and a good grasp of values (which I think is aligned as much with composition as color). I still don't think it's incredibly hard, I'm a little over 2 years in and I can paint confidently in color, and when I desaturate it my values are usually quite decent. I've obviously not mastered it by any stretch, but I'd hardly consider it the hardest fundie to become proficient in. If you like artists who make bold statements with their color choice, study their palette. If you've got the basic theory understanding (which you can memorize more or less in a few days) you can usually deconstruct it.
>>
File: color wheel.jpg (53KB, 1279x959px) Image search: [Google]
color wheel.jpg
53KB, 1279x959px
>>3040800
Like 2 days. It's literally this wheel.
>>
>>3040868
that is not an acurate color wheel though. im not sure what color theory encompasses but you can go infinitely deep really. theres a lot to explore, like the other guy said, experiment!
>>
>>3040842

"not incredibly hard"

So you're pretty damn good with color then? Post work.
>>
>>3040868
>that basic-ass swatch
>colour-theory

Throw in grey and value, and then we're talking.

Even then it's all about relative dominating colours being used to manipulate the rest of the picture, without even touching on lighting conditions changing perceptions of colour depending on how naturalistic you portray a scene.
>>
About a week, look at those guides to paint miniatures on /tg/
>>
>>3040800
Anyone know any good exercises to practice this stuff?
>>
>>3040922
Play with saturation, value and hue.
>>
>>3040800
The actual theory behind color isn't hard, but developing a taste to where you pick colors like op, can be very hard. Especially when different artists have different taste. When it comes to color, I highly recommend you study other artists and practice copying their color palettes. It really is something where you either get it now, or you don't.
>>
>>3040800
>developing a taste

WELL SAID
having "objectively" good taste is the hard part
>>
File: 5f93K.gif (343KB, 500x351px) Image search: [Google]
5f93K.gif
343KB, 500x351px
Color theory is a bitch sometimes because your monkey brain shits all over objective perception. Pic related.
>>
>>3041656
What is this black magic
>>
>>3040800
I've been wondering the same thing. I've been stuck in my comfort zone for way too long, mostly doing sketches and lineart.
>>
>>3041656
Great, now remove the background lighting and it's fucking nothing
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.