[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

after a brief bit of research i have come to this understanding

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: anime prop.png (271KB, 2175x551px) Image search: [Google]
anime prop.png
271KB, 2175x551px
after a brief bit of research i have come to this understanding of how to modify real proportions to fit the animanga style.

my question is, am i correct in this? and is there anything i am missing?

P.S. before you start, yeah i know not all styles are the same etc etc, its all pretty similar and at least for this artists's style.
>>
You compared an anime-style young female to a realistic middle-aged male.
There's more variables than style going on here.
>>
>>3039896
If you want to do manga you should just use the proportions for babies in Loomis' book.
>>
>>3039914
the basics of proportional cues and feature placement are the same for real males and real females as per loomis.
>>
>>3039896
Sorry, but this is dumb. You've somehow managed to over-complicated the process of drawing anime style characters while simultaneously over-simplifying the nuances of cartooning and limiting the scope of design. You're wasting time building a theory around anime based on the study of a single character. Any possible application you can get from this is very limited.

Learn the proportions and designs as they are and focus on being able to draw them consistently and from various perspectives instead.
>>
>>3039935
i appreciate your criticism, would you mind elaborating a bit more? what do you mean by "Learn the proportions and designs as they are" because to my interpretation of that sentence i am currently attempting to do that. perhaps you might it rephrase to make the meaning of the sentence a bit more clear.
>>
>>3039942
>because to my interpretation of that sentence i am currently attempting to do that.
No you aren't. You are needlessly relating the proportions to a Loomis face, which isn't universal in the first place.

The entire idea to "modify real proportions to fit the animanga style" is academic busywork. If you want to draw on model fan art, just learn the proportions as is, without going back and forth between realistic proportions. If you want to draw "animanga" on a more ambitious scale, then you should be able to make it work with a variety of proportions, because there are a variety of characters.
>>
>>3039952
>academic busywork
i adhere to the proper standards of technical knowledge and i believe it is correct to do this. if you are suggesting i do away with attempting to understand the proportions and forms then im sorry but i disagree with that sentiment.
>>
>>3039959
>i adhere to the proper standards of technical knowledge and i believe it is correct to do this.
Go ahead and put your theory to the test. Try drawing more characters than this one girl. See if it all fits your anal retentive measuring of limited application.

>if you are suggesting i do away with attempting to understand the proportions
No, I'm telling you to learn the proportions as it relates to the character herself rather than how they relate to a face with a different set of proportions. You're introducing an unnecessary step.
>>
>>3039918
That tip holds true for a tiny margin of moeshit and chibi stuff and that's it. The young female face OP used as example doesn't look anywhere close to baby proportions.
>>
Proportions in anime are very inconsistent.
It really depends on style and character. Even then if you try to put different drawings of the same character on top of each other they don't always match up.

Just go and copy some art of your favourite artists and just develop a good feel for their proportions
>>
>>3039896
You're an idiot, the anime face literally has almost the SAME proportions as the loomis face. Eyes halfway, nose and bottom of ear lines up, brow and top of ear lineup, mouth slightly above halfway of bottom of nose and tip of chin. That anime face literally has loomis proportions, or, in other words, human proportions, so stop wasting your time, and start drawing.
>>
>>3039965
>unnecessary step
well maybe but i'd like to know this information, as long as its not entirely impossible or detrimental i feel its worth putting in the time to understand this.
>draw a character other than her
1 i'll work to understand that separate set of proportions and shapes when the time comes
2 i cant even draw her in perspective, it just looks like shit when i adhere to the proportions given here

>>3039976
if you really think that her proportions are the same as loomis' then show where my measuring technique was flawed.
>>
>>3039977
>well maybe but i'd like to know this information
What information do you think you're learning? Do you think animators design faces by starting with a realistic head and going "anime face is 2 inches wider here, 3 inches shorter here, nose is 2/3 of a real nose", etc? No. No one complicates things this way. You remember the proportions in relation to itself. Loomis proportions doesn't need to be involved.

>1 i'll work to understand that separate set of proportions and shapes when the time comes
Proportions, especially of cartoon characters, are arbitrary. You're wasting time doing things like this. There is no absolute truth you can stumble upon here that you can extrapolate to everything in "animanga". But I guess it's your time to waste.

>2 i cant even draw her in perspective
Good lord.
>>
>>3039990
>Do you think animators design faces by starting with a realistic head and going "anime face is 2 inches wider here, 3 inches shorter here, nose is 2/3 of a real nose", etc?
/ic/ says you have to learn realism then apply your understanding there to a style.
>proportions are arbitrary
im not sure i believe that, got any proof or a professional confirming?

>perspective, good lord
dont take it out of context, we arent in an argument here bro, there is no need to try and "win". its more a comment on the proportions given here not working when in perspective, less on my ability to draw them.
>>
>>3040001
>there is no need to try and "win"
Nah, it's just the realization you can't understand, or you are willfully misinterpreting everything that's been said for shits and giggles. Either way, I'm bowing out. Good day and good luck.
>>
>>3040024
hmm, if you became upset about the discussion then i can tell you that it wasnt necessary, i wasnt being intentionally offensive or confrontational. if you want to duck out thats fine but dont feel any pressure to.

>misinterpreting
you havent successfully explained your ideas or even refuted the points i made. its not correct to try and push the blame onto me for that.
>>
OP, you do realize that the image in your example is just Loomises default head for demonstration purposes, right? If you actually read the book, he explains how to draw a variety of different character types by exaggerating and changing the base proportions.
>>
>>3040033
>changing the base proportions
gee i wonder what im doing here
>>
File: anijaw.jpg (41KB, 187x120px) Image search: [Google]
anijaw.jpg
41KB, 187x120px
why is the jaw different from the side?
>>
>>3039896
Take the time to read through the book throughly and with full attention. Loomis discusses in full length about child proportions--this applies to the 80/20 rule of (most) anime stylization today. Anime is the illegitimate child of Disney's classics so everything remains the same in principle.
>>
Loomis heads, Riley heads, Bridgman heads, Hogarth heads work all the same. They are a generic collection of 3 dimensional planes organized to convincingly portray the illusion of a face in 2 dimensional space.
They are used as placeholder concepts in order to be changed later due to likeness, gender, and race. In order to properly adapt this method of a generic head, you need to be able to distort said head at your will. The problem that I foresee is that how far can I push this template until it stops looking animanga? Instead of using a circle, what if I use a square? A triangle? With all of the methods I've described above, you can still apply any template to any shape and figure out the head dimensions to create something convincing.
Also loomis and all those other guys were able to include anatomical landmarks that dramatically influence the shape of the generic head (see riley method).

Tl;dr
Just make sure your set of proportions doesn't break down when I apply it to another totally different head shape. Not only that but how does it look when foreshortened? How far can I exaggerate features until this set of proportions beeak down.

I'm all for doing this, but you just have to cover all of your bases.
>>
I wish you guys draw you're advice like those jap guys on 2chan's /ic/. I'm too beginner for this
>>
why isnt there a book about this or at least an infohraphic
>>
>>3040088

You mean the trillions of infographics on pintrest?
>>
>>3040094
none at all similar to the loomis style of proportional measurement
>>
>>3040101

It's approximations so they are similar.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.