[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do you deal with the constant depression i've tried

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1450476087086.jpg (76KB, 565x768px) Image search: [Google]
1450476087086.jpg
76KB, 565x768px
how do you deal with the constant depression

i've tried to learn drawing for most of my life and now that ive gone balls deep into figure drawing and anatomy i get moments where i don't know if i'll ever make it

is this prevalent here? i've met a good chunk of artists (young and older, all very talented and hardworking) and i've noticed older people tend to be at peace but i guess it's too personal to ask if they ever struggled emotionally to get there

i hope thread is not too meta, i just want to hear your story
>>
Believe in the you who believes in you. That's all there is to it.
>>
>>3036778
i know where you're coming from and yeah I try to feel good with what i do

but it's pretty hard, it's like being a lawyer and losing every case you ever had for years

i feel like it's masoquism at this point
>>
Stop worrying about "making it". What does that even mean?
If you're not creating for the sake of creating you're a sellout.
>>
>>3036812
By making it I mean feeling satisfied and confident about your work, commercial or not
>>
>>3036776
The anxiety and depression does start to go away the older you get. Don't stress so much over it. I've probably lost too much time in art just because I let my anxieties get to me.
>>
>>3036776
>how do you deal with the constant depression
Therapists and meds.

Also, lower your expectations. Make your goal learning to love art, not "making it". If I didn't work professionally as a creative, I'd still do it in my spare time - I oil paint and sculpt and watercolor in my spare time, just for the sheer love of doing it.

If you're so depressed that you can't even get to that point, then you need professional help. Depression does not fuck around, and even the mental health professionals struggle with it.
>>
>>3036815
how old are you? How long have you been working on art?
>>
>>3036814
Kek. Never. That's the artist's curse.
By the time you finish something you've improved enough that you can see all of its flaws. This makes you want to create again. Then the same thing happens as infinitum. Welcome, friend. The trick is to not care or pretend you don't care.
>>
>>3036776
Don't care about what other people think, specially /ic/ they are too retarded to understand shit about art besides muh industry and mechanical skill
>>
>>3036820
I have made considerable progress the last two years with practice, I finally got a sense of direction with constant critiques and learning from incredible artists but I've had short periods pop up when i feel like drawing gives me no joy

I've had a lot of support and positive feedback, but it's like something is not clicking well. Sorry for the blog post

How many hours do you spend painting and sculpting a week? Is your social life busy?
>>
>>3036827
It's not that I'm afraid people will think my art is shit, its that I wish to become good and have a sense that I can reach my goal, I don't know if that makes sense
>>
>>3036836
If you do something everyday, even if you are a slow learner and have a couple of bad habits you still gonna get good, forcing yourself into hours of grinding and study will only burn you out specially because the human brain can't soak effectively all information at once

Do something, realise its flaws, look for materials to help you overcome it, use the new concept, repeat

Every single craft is all about the grind, if you do something every single day you will improve its just how nature works...
>>
>>3036776
It never goes away but you can turn it into motivation

If you are clinically depressed it will destroy your art, get a therapist in that case
>>
>>3036986
I see, thank you, it helps to read other people going through similar stuff
>>
I have been trying to learn to draw for a long time as a mean to escape my depression because I struggle in conventional things. How do I approach it? Is there a way, or should I stop until I can get it treated by a therapist?

I don't want to back down from trying to learn.
>>
>>3037339
read sticky, don't stress about color just yet, focus on anatomy and composition, if you're doing an illustration (ie not 5 to 30 min figure drawing) draw thumbnails first to focus on the arrangement you have in mind (leading the eye with shapes and values)

if you live in a big city chances are you might find a studio where they bring models and you can pay either by session or month, you can begin asking at local art schools

for tools just get conte and newspaper, you don't need anything else, in fact it's best to sketch big since you'll be drawing from your shoulder
>>
>>3037410
>*I meant newsprint paper, sorry about that
>>
>>3037305
Yeah absolutely man. If you feel like you have a problem in your head, getting therapy ASAP is the best thing you can do for your art. If they give you meds, take 'em. Therapy will not stifle your creativity or any of the other bullshit myths that form the whole modern image of the depressed artist, it will only open up your mind and allow you to be productive.

As for the mild blues that you get when you see Kim Jung Gi draw and you think about how many light years ahead of you he is, that's gonna stick with you... but if you have a healthy mind (and mindset) it will go away after a minute because your motivation and your willpower will kick in. It's absolutely hell to do creative work if you're depressed. Good luck
>>
>>3037410
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

>>3037511
Thanks.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.