[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>people claim western animation is dead Anymore excuses

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 17

File: 1498099713315.gif (828KB, 500x288px) Image search: [Google]
1498099713315.gif
828KB, 500x288px
>people claim western animation is dead

Anymore excuses you wanna make up?
>>
That's one show out of how many? Exactly.
>>
>>3032592
>pics gif from one of literally two scenes in the entire show animated by a jap

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>
Fuck off /co/
>>
>>3032592
All the best western animators are doing 3d, m8
>>
>>3032592
Wasn't part of this episode animated by guests from Studio Trigger? It wasn't just the song portion, either.
>>
>>3032592
Yeah but that's TV stuff. Has TV animation ever really been good? The best American animation has always been cinematic: features and shorts. There's just not a high enough budget in TV to pay for good animation.
>>
>>3032706
>>3032710
Wherever you come from you need to go fuck yourself to death.
>>
>>3032736
>youtube comments are written primarily by literal children

What was anyone expecting?
>>
>>3032739
that's what i'm saying
kids are the future
the future of west animation is literally furries and tumblr

western animation is dead and we killed it
>>
>>3032725
>>3032736
I'm not reading the crap you read.
>>
File: 1494988647379.jpg (51KB, 564x546px) Image search: [Google]
1494988647379.jpg
51KB, 564x546px
>>3032773
OK ,have a nice day :)
>>
Even if western animation was dead, it would still be better than anime.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbQgXeY_zi4

Everything weaboo is so fucking gay, senpai.
>>
>>3032690
Not trigger, but Takafumi Hori who works at trigger (lead animator in LWA).

This scene is by him and then the SFX in the song portion.
>>
File: 527614bc44f05fbe35caec2855f01805.gif (1010KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
527614bc44f05fbe35caec2855f01805.gif
1010KB, 500x375px
>>3032592
Am I supposed to be impressed by that?
>>
>>3032977
What's so impressive about this?
>>
>>3032980
You tell me:

https://youtu.be/u32HzkBilrA
>>
>>3032954
lmao
>>
>>3032592
American sakuga is the best, but fucking sjws are everywhere. Jesus fucking christ.
>>
>>3032954
>Everything weaboo is so fucking gay, senpai.
>dat inferiority complex
ngm
lol
>>
File: fire_as_drawn_by_a_toddler.jpg (35KB, 846x447px) Image search: [Google]
fire_as_drawn_by_a_toddler.jpg
35KB, 846x447px
>>3032985
out of all of the Japanese animators you post Yutapon who cuts corners by not even trying to deal with weight (all new work of his is people flying or gliding just above ground even if flight isn't their power), by using shape language and design on the level of a toddler (his "fire" in new work is literally zig zags), and using IMPACTO FREIMU as a crutch for power.

Old Yutapon was good, his new stuff is just boring samey shit, with the exception of his moving environment/camera scenes which are very well done.

https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/35108
https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/34803
https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/34802
https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/21810
https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/16096

Look at this. It's all the same "people gliding really fast" shit.
He uses the same shape language for smoke, fire, ice and god knows what.

Babbys first recognizable animator, and no fucking wonder since all of his work is the same.
>>
>>3033015
That fire only looks like shit outside of context. The scene is fine.
>>
>>3033015
>hurr, Japanese animators suck cause no weight

Ok.

Here, have another:

https://youtu.be/05carXpUuW4

Anyone trying to argue that Japan doesn't have the best 2D animators in the world right now is an utter moron. That shit was debatable during the Golden Era of Disney and Hannah Barbera. But it's a no contest right now.
>>
File: 1468988827285.gif (1MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1468988827285.gif
1MB, 400x225px
>>3033023
Man, the Mitsuo cuts give me goosebumps every damn time
>>
>>3033023
>hurr, Japanese animators suck cause no weight
That is not what he was saying, you insecure projecting retard.
>>
>>3033035
This whole thread is literally a couple of spastics going
>but muh Western animation
Go fuck yourself. Western animation hasn't been good in decades, and it doesn't even bat an eyelash at Japanese Animation which has been upping its game year after year. And that's simply cause there's no industry for it in the west. Common fucking sense. I WISH western 2D hadn't died, and was as big and dazzling as Japan's, but that's just not the case. Animation is literally Japan's Hollywood. There's no competition. And even then, the film industries in other parts of the worlds are far more developed than their 2D animation industries.
>>
>>3033023
i dont know about that japan has made like all of the good animated films for a while but i don't know if it's fair to say that makes them the best, how about korea for example, talented people over there
>>
>>3032977
>has to motion blur it to hide the low frame rate and lack of detail
eh
>>
>>3033023
i forgot how good this was, man evangelion was some great stuff

>>3033047
>i dont know about that japan has made like all of the good
whew, what.
Anyway, hes refering to commerical stuff, not art house and top tier art art. Legend of korra was animated by a korean company too, not a western one. They make their living copying the japanese style honestly, and dont even shade. Theyre better than a lot of western ones though
>>
>>3033050
>low frame rate and lack of detail
why are you trying to criticize something when you obviously don't understand a single thing about animation?
>>
>>3033044
>abloobloobloo muh nippon
faaaaaaaaag
>>
>>3033050
>what is a low quality gif
You know the upload limit is 4mb, right?

I was gonna upload a different one, but couldn't.

>>3033047
Korea is really good too, but they're like Japan's little brother, and they're essentially from the same school. Plus, Japan's a lot more varied. They're animators are getting really experimental these days, doing all sorts of crazy stuff. Just look at the work that was put out in Mob Psycho for example.
>>
>>3033061
>"fag" said the /co/ tumblr with weak retort

muh kek
>>
>>3033065
then use webm
>>
>>3033067
>oh no, the gaijin knows
>hayaku, call him /co/
>oh wait
>that's not even an insult
>I know, I'll call him tumblr too
Go with /pol/ next time, at least you could get some (You)s
>>
>>3033065
>but they're like Japan's little brother, and they're essentially from the same school.
In the same sense that Japan is "USA's little brother" and "essentially from the same school", you delusional fucking weeb.
>>
>>3032592
>Western animation
That was literally handed over to gooks to animate though
>>
Western 2D animation has been stagnated for awhile. French animation is good but they don't pump out that much contents.

Japan has constantly reinnovated and pushed 2D animation to new limits, they have a lot of really talented animators out there. They produces a lot of animations every year of various quality and different genres. If you can't admit that Japan is currently the best country at making 2D animations right now, you're just a delusional westaboo.
>>
File: 1494804690236.gif (3MB, 286x258px) Image search: [Google]
1494804690236.gif
3MB, 286x258px
>>3033003

Yeah senpai, I am super jealous of a bunch of autism neets fapping to their non-existent waifus.
>>
>>3033089
>tells people to get "you"s on pol
>gives one anyway

muh kek
>>
Anyone who thinks western animation is comparable to Japan is delusional. The market for animation here is TINY and generally exclusively for children. The few more serious western animation aren't even animated in the west. They are animated by Korea or Japan.

When you factor in the kind of shoestring budgets Japan has to deal with the differences become even more amazing. They manage to do so much with budgets that are 1/4th of what the average cartoon over here gets despite being low detail shit for children.

Animation is sorta dying in Japan too unfortunately with more emphasis being put on CGI stuff. Still there is a huge backlog of amazing stuff worth watching and a few nice 2D projects still coming out.
>>
>>3033084
Couldn't find any, too lazy to convert.

The ones in this dude's post >>3033015 are solid though, so enjoy.

Also, you got the infamous clips in Bebop and Sword of the Stranger. Just use youtube.
>>
>>3032592

Call me a pleb, but "Star vs Forces of Evil" has IMHO very nice, fast and fluid animation which often uses quite interesting cinematography (and occassionaly 3D).
>>
>>3032592
that shot was animated by Takafumi Hori.

you silly.
>>
File: 1493725610755.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1493725610755.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>3033145
>projecting
maybe you should stick to fapping to badly animated furries my dude
>>
>>3033023
Never did I say Japanese animators suck. There are plenty of amazing Japanese animators.

I'm saying that Yutapon is the most overrated, babbys first sakuga animator there is. He's like the trap card for people with shit taste.

Mitsuo Iso is fucking amazing.

That said, anyone who tries to argue that Japanese webgen animators are better than any for example any classically trained French animator is just retarded. There are plenty of legendary Japanese animators still working, but most new animators just can't compete with their classically trained western counterparts. All they can do is grandiose action, and that's a fundamental problem in their skillsets.

The Japanese excel at action(movement), but their character animation skills are just pathetic, and this is simply the cause of the fundamental differences in approaching animation between Japan and the West. It's all in the history of the two industries.

The Japanese approach character animation by thinking how people move. They aim for realistic movement that is true to life. "How would I lift this rock" is how the Japanese think.

Classically trained western animators approach character animation by thinking how personalities move. They aim bring out as much personality through their movement as possible. "What is this character thinking when he lifts that rock" is how classically trained western animators think.

Of course the Japanese method works wonderfully in many situations, but what it falls short with is emphasizing personality through acting.

>>3033020

You can see the same fire in these two that I linked as well
>https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/34803
>https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/34802

and also in the links I included the same shape language can be seen in many different effects and elements, which is just fucking retarded in terms of design.
>>
>>3033015

Why do you guys post out of context inbetweens to claim that an animation is bad? It should be judged for their overall motion. It's like pausing at a long take from a Spielberg film and complaining that it's badly composed and directed.

Smears are an actual animation principle that derive from film. I would rather have a few undetailed inbetweens that fluid timing than detailed inbetweens with stiff timing.
>>
>>3033332
wait,, how the fuck did the pilot spin his hand 360 degrees?
>>
File: idk lol.gif (429KB, 206x196px) Image search: [Google]
idk lol.gif
429KB, 206x196px
>>3034033
NANOMACHINES, SON
>>
>>3034033
>he can't spin his hand 360 degrees
if you had the ligameme you would be able to do it, i'm sorry anon you're never gonna make it
>>
>>3032977
>>3032977
full smears alchemist
>>
>>3032592
The animation is outsourced to Sunmin and Rough Draft, both SOUTH KOREAN COMPANIES
>>
File: the state of Cartoon Network.png (201KB, 1198x1203px) Image search: [Google]
the state of Cartoon Network.png
201KB, 1198x1203px
hmmmmm
>>
>>3034161
wow that can't be real
>>
>>3034161
>people will unironically say western 2D animation isn't dying
>>
>>3034161
This is why I quit fucking buying cable.
>>
>>3034161
you know there are videos about vloggers talking about how cartoon network basically shows teen titans go and how they claim its the number one show on the network also mentioned that ppg was slowly going to be discontinued by almost not even bothering to show it at all
>>
>>3032592
That`s Takafumi Hori, you dingus.
>>3033431
I think this is more of a directorial difference imo , which is why Hori likes working on western animation.
>>
>>3034020
Because they're retarded and know fuck all about Animation.
>>
File: ss+(2017-06-24+at+11.29.38).jpg (71KB, 842x443px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-06-24+at+11.29.38).jpg
71KB, 842x443px
>>3034020
>Why do you guys post out of context inbetweens to claim that an animation is bad?

Here's a fucking key frame for you.
Stop throwing around bullshit one liners that everyone knows, when they're not even applicable in the context of the conversation.

You didn't even look at the clip did you? that isn't from some split second inbetween of a fast moving arm that you can barely see with naked eye. That is a screencap from a two second cut of an arm moving slowly up at a steady spacing.
If you fucking opened your eyes you'd see that the shape language is the same regardless of it being a key frame, an extreme or an inbetween.
Seriously stop blindly parroting people and judge things with your two own eyes.

This is not a matter of "smears being bad". Smears are fine (though overused, in my opinion). This is a matter of "bad shape language is bad". Seriously, look at this stuff. It's the same shape language in all different kinds of things. The whole point of shape language is to convey something meaningful, but when you use the same shapes for everything, the meaning is lost.

Now I know you're gonna say "the fire is moving so fast that that's the only meaningful way of conveying it". Which is true and that would be the end of the conversation if Yutapon didn't use that same approach so often. It's clear that it's a crutch to make something cool and fast under strict time constraints, and that's admirable from a production POV, but when strictly judging it as animation, removed from the production aspect of things, it just gets boring and samey.
>>
>>3032592
It's not. Gumball is saving it.
>>
>>3034438
Are you a moron, or do you just have massive autism and can't contextualize shit. The blur lines are clearly there to convey the intensity of the blast.

I'm not even the guy you're arguing with, but I just watched the clip, and it looks fucking incredible in motion. So much so that ot motivated me to give MHA a watch since that scene was dope af.

Like it's one of those things where you sit here and critique this shit as if you're some animation expert, and act like ONE OF THE BEST ANIMATORS IN THE WORLD, isn't all that. Yet you clearly could never animate anywhere near his level, and thus fail to understand the reasoning and purpose behind various choices he makes. There's a certain intuition you develop with experience, intuition you lack. We're not talking about something subjective like composition or design, animation is very skill based, thus it's one of those things where the words of someone who can't animate, let alone at his level, simply don't apply. Your entire argument is literally 'muh blur lines' yet you cherry pick and totally ignore how it looks in motion. Fuck off you keyboard critic. It's like Linkara, who thinks he has room to critique comics after the dogshit he put out on the web himself.
>>
File: this is a man on fire.jpg (36KB, 361x447px) Image search: [Google]
this is a man on fire.jpg
36KB, 361x447px
>>3034521
>The blur lines are clearly there to convey the intensity of the blast.

I know why it looks the way it look. I explicitly stated that in the post you replied to.That said, extremely fast motions aren't the only times he uses boring shape language like that. Pic related.

The problem with his NEW work is that it's all built the same. If the things I'm complaining about were just apparent only in one scene of his I couldn't even realize to complain about it, but that's not the case. Most of his new work is like that. It's all the same.

Do I think Yutaka Nakamura is a bad animator? No, he is extremely good.
Do I think he's bland and predictable right now? Yes, absolutely.

I really don't want to repeat myself, but:
From a production standpoint what he does is great, he uses methods that allow him to create a lot of power and impact with less work. The side of me that enjoys the production side of animation admires that.
But the side of me that enjoys animation for the sake of it does not enjoy what he does right now, because it's all the same.

Imagine noticing one day that your favorite bands new tracks all sound kinda the same.

That's my relationship with Yutapon right now. The guy is a legend which means that nobody is willing to lend a critical eye towards his work, everyone will eat that shit up every time because they have the memory of a goldfish and they've never even heard of "shape language".

>you clearly could never animate anywhere near his level
irrelevant
>and thus fail to understand the reasoning and purpose behind various choices he makes.
I do understand, I even fucking explained it that they're methods of creating a faster workflow for television production. Less complex shapes/forms and less run cycles (gliding/flying) = less time spent on the scene.
>Your entire argument is literally 'muh blur lines'
It never was. My problem is with his new work all being the same, and his shape language being boring.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170624-072154.png (362KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170624-072154.png
362KB, 1920x1080px
>>3034438

I looked at the full animation and it was pretty fluid and readable, so it wasn't bad at all. The timing should matter, not out of context frames. Yutaka Nakamara isn't my favorite either, but his wasn't bad at all.

A lot of fast paced action films have a lot of smears/blur, but they aren't bad at all. It's like claiming that John Wick is bad movie because of pic related frame from this scene.

https://youtu.be/7zmuvbwnXGE
>>
>>3034584
and before someone comes at me for "cherry picking an inbetween" or something stupid shit like that, watch the scene before commenting.
>>
File: these air bursts.jpg (66KB, 851x268px) Image search: [Google]
these air bursts.jpg
66KB, 851x268px
>>3034585
>A lot of fast paced action films have a lot of smears/blur, but they aren't bad at all.
Am I really explaining myself this horribly?

My problem isn't motion blur. It's:

1) new work being all the same
2) repetitive, boring shape language
>>
>>3034591

Oh, so you think that it can be better. It's fair then. Sorry that I misunderstood you. I thought that you claimed it was bad.
>>
File: asr.png (34KB, 322x282px) Image search: [Google]
asr.png
34KB, 322x282px
>>3034584
>>3034585
>>3034521
>but moe girls make my dick feel funny
>>
>>3034438
>>
>>3032592
this looks extremely floaty and slow. It's technically well-animated, but not very interesting to look at.
>>
>>3034597
How were any of his posts conveying that?
You should kill yourself for making such an awful post.
>>
>>3034647
Which is interesting because it's animated by Takafumi Hori whose work isn't floaty like that usually. Must be something in the CNStudios production process
>>
steven universe is so fucking ugly
>>
File: 1495005143798.jpg (85KB, 561x606px) Image search: [Google]
1495005143798.jpg
85KB, 561x606px
>>3034051
>>3034045
>>3034033

You would spin your hand 360ยบ too, had you been blessed by two fatmans.
>>
>>3032592
Oh the irony is strong with this one. HAHAHA
>>
>>3032592
So shit.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.