[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a big difference between oil and acrylic paint? Recently,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: plate15large.jpg (183KB, 702x486px) Image search: [Google]
plate15large.jpg
183KB, 702x486px
Is there a big difference between oil and acrylic paint? Recently, I bought some acrylic colors as there were cheaper and seem to be less toxic. However, the colors are way too bright and "colorful". I can't get tones like in pic related. Any advices?
>>
>>3031752
you can mute a color by mixing in a tiny amount of complimentary color to it. That's not an issue. Differences between oil and acrylics are numerous. Oil has waaay longer drying time, more luminosity (light can travel in an out the oil), oil blends easily and has that buttery quality that's so great to work with, but you have to have a more methodic way of working in order not to trip yourself later in the process (fat over lean).
>>
Is there a fine art any finer than oil painting
Chunbum need not reply
>>
>>3031752
Sell the acrylics on eBay, unless you're already attached to them. Oils can be dangerous if you have pets or small children around, but with organization and caution, you don't have to worry.

There are some people doing great things in acrylics. Many of the Impressionists might have preferred acrylics if they had been available, simply because you can work quickly in alla prima and get a lot of abstract ideas out. What would Manet and Monet have looked like then? Less depth and luminosity, almost like a shadowbox or a diorama. The time, planning and consideration which oils demand can be a real source of pleasure, as long as you know how to mix paint, layer and blend in opaques or transparents, and store wet canvases. Oils generally have more impact and sell for higher prices.
>>
>>3031789

>Oils generally have more impact and sell for higher prices.

this if anything

why not both OP? i have adhd out the ass and need things to dry immediately, use acrylics, hairdryer, and then when it's all mapped out i go over with oil.
>>
Do you know any good brands to look for when buying oil colors?
>>
File: image.jpg (408KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
408KB, 1200x1200px
>>3031891
Lukas Artist Oils for their wax binding, and W&N for their line of transparent colours -- English art eschews opacity in all its forms.

Aside from that, Sennelier or M. Graham.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (472KB, 1937x2547px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
472KB, 1937x2547px
>>3031752
huge difference because acrylic paint dry very fast and oil paint very slow
also acrylic paint doesn't look as natural as oil paint so acrylic one is perfect for abstract expressionist art
>>
>>3031760
I tried muting acrylics for years, before giving up. It's impossible to get oil effects in acrylics. It's too much work for too little gain. I've used acrylics for commercial work, where the client wants bright colors to pop, but for serious color work, I use oils.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.