[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

https://artlawjournal.com/mickey-mo use-keeps-changing-copyr

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1436739314641.png (362KB, 838x574px) Image search: [Google]
1436739314641.png
362KB, 838x574px
https://artlawjournal.com/mickey-mouse-keeps-changing-copyright-law/

It's there any lawyer here?

I hate copyright, I hate corporates and I hate how you can't use basically anything made in the XX century thanks to disney to use in our culture.

I'm a multimedia artists, and I was wondering if I can make derivative works of disney characters into my pieces of multimedia.

My goal of course is liberate such characters under derivative copyright law.

I've read the law and It seems ok my plan, since I'll be doing derivate works, not just straight rip offs.

But I would like advice regarding this.
>>
>>3027804
Are you 12 years old or something?

>I hate copyright
Copyright is extremely important to artists. What a dumb, immature fucking thing to say. Why do you hate copyright law?

> I hate how you can't use basically anything made in the XX century thanks to disney to use in our culture.
This is not true. What the fuck are you smoking?

> seems ok my plan, since I'll be doing derivate works
It doesn't matter if it's derivative, or how much you changed it. If it can be obviously recognized and linked back to an IP, it's potentially (and likely) copyright infringement.
>>
>>3027804
So you're pissed off because you can't steal from disney?
>>
File: jace-wallace1.jpg (55KB, 760x428px) Image search: [Google]
jace-wallace1.jpg
55KB, 760x428px
>>3027804
>derivative
You mean transformative
Disney is not going to sue some kid for drawing a mickey mouse, but you should read up anyways:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_the_United_States#Fair_Use
>>
Gonna breathe some life into this thread just so I don't make a new thread regarding the exact same thing. Copied and pasted from /biz/ and then /adv/ because /biz/ told me to post it here.

I just started my own little side business as a fan artist, selling prints and commissions to friends and family members, but I've heard some shady things about people selling Disney and Marvel stuff. But then another friend told me that she sells Disney and Marvel stuff all the time and as long as I'm not making some ludicrous amount of money off it and not selling it at a convention then to not worry about it.

Can someone tell me exactly what the copyright laws and and trademark laws and stuff are regarding selling artwork? I'm only four days into my business but this had never occurred to me before today because I got a Disney commission request and I want to know if I can actually go through with it.

I read the link to Wikipedia that >>3027850 linked but I'm having trouble deciphering some of it because I don't really know anything about the laws other than the bare bones basics.
>>
>>3031012
You can't sell their brand, but you can sell fan art because that's your own brand. If someone comes to you then that's okay.
>>
>>3031018
So as long as I draw them myself not using any one photo as reference, only references to get faces and outfits right, even if my characters look really accurate to the way they're drawn originally, since I'm not 100% copying something Disney put out line-for-line and since I'm being commissioned, I'm in the clear?

Sorry if I'm being too autistic here but I really don't wanna shoot my little business in the foot right out of the gate, especially over Disney of all things.
>>
>>3027804
Just do your own thang man.

Aren't artists supposed to be creative people?...
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.