[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Today my dad tried to talk me into joining the navy and doing

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: image.png (154KB, 1089x467px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
154KB, 1089x467px
Today my dad tried to talk me into joining the navy and doing graphic design for them. He said id be able to relocate near LA and work an office job as a graphic designer. My end game is to be in animation, but this seems like the perfect gateway to meet other artists and sneak my way into the industry.
Has anyone else heard of this? Anyone been through it?
I swore id never join the military but it seems like a golden ticket go me. Paid housing, paid school, ez money.
>>
>>3027229

Joining as a Private?

Go ask around /k/, you should do some research. There are a few artfags there, but I don't think they had that "golden ticket" of yours. You won't be dealing with artsy ppl, learning that hierarchical "sir" professionalism. PT and you're not exempt from deployment.

I wouldn't, times are weird to gamble all that. Be prepared to out your career on hold for 3 to 4 years.
>>
>>3027348
That was pretty much my response to him telling me all this. Ive always been against enlisting, especially coming from a military family. As hippie-dippy as it sounds i hate the idea of having to change how i look and listen to orders. Plus the drug tests.
>>
>>3027806
Well i mean, you gotta listen to your client/art director/producer/teachers/instructors/etc

But yeah I would just give plenty of examples of professionals working where you want to work. Show that your career is successful and that he won't have to be worried about you. Just be prepared to work very hard. You wouldn't actually gain any practical, creative criticism towards your artwork when you're in the army. It's the wrong environment for the wrong profession. Military is quick, tight, well-oiled structuralized strategizing at ultimate efficiency with no complaints. Art/Design is about questioning and interpreting physical and theoretical ideas in order to portray your view of a specific subject matter in order to appeal to a specific audience.

And you get to be part of the artistic culture of the world, including /ic/!
>>
>>3027806
>he's against enlisting because he doesn't want to cut his hair and do what he's told
>not because he doesn't want to kill people and get maimed by a manure nail bomb to secure more orgone boxes for his reptilian overlords
wew lad
>>
>>3028819
Art people can be batshit crazy. I think they're right above animal people in terms of insanity.
>>
>>3028819
Getting picked to do that is like luck though.
>>
>>3028819
What >>3028823 said. It would most likely be through the navy, so the odds are extremely against it. That is another factor of course, especially with the current administration.
>>
>>3028819
>Join Navy
>Get killed by those dastardly floating manure nail bombs in the ocean

We get it, kid. You think you're edgy by being anti-military.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.