[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone have any tips for starting a local figure drawing

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3816.jpg (84KB, 555x370px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3816.jpg
84KB, 555x370px
Does anyone have any tips for starting a local figure drawing session with a live model? I can't find any in my area so I figured I would start my own.

I assume I'd have to rent out a space and get the word out with flyers, social media, etc.

-How do I find a model without seeming like a creep?
- What is a good pay rate for a 3 hr session?
-How should the time be divided? Should I just do a long pose for the whole time?

Any ideas/tips would be appreciated.
>>
>>3026385
You dont know any dancers? If you know other painters or draftsmen one is bound to know a dancer, dancers generally love to model and have very dynamic poses (if they can hold them. Do not compromise here, if they cant hold a pose find someone new also be strict with the time) worst case check craigslist. Also its not creepy at all. Be like hey I want to start a figure drawing class would you like to be a nude model. If they say no you can suggest clothed model for double model sessions. or drawing from the clothed model is almost as good.

2) 20 bucks an hour at the very least. But if you get more people pay them more if theyre REALLY good then make sure to pay them generously so that theyre always willing to do it becuase people will get tired of modeling.

3)
Most places do something like 10 1minute poses 5 2minute poses 4 5minute poses and a few 20minutes. If you can do it three times a week make one a long 3 hour pose where the model is seated or reclining or something.
Be really strict about rules like no cellphones cameras etc. You need your model to feel good about their job or they will give you shit poses. That being said if they give you shit poses you need to be very firm or find a new model. Dont be afraid to tell them what to do. Theyre getting paid to do it.

You dont necessarily need to rent a space if someone has a big enough garage or something and would be willing to clear it out (if it got good light)

Where do you live?
>>
>>3026385
Me and a friend have been using a local art school for space where the deal is that we can be there for free as long as the students are allowed to draw for free.

The session is 2h once a week with a 15min coffee break in the middle.

Times are between 1min and 15min where we usually start low and build up to 10-15, and then start over after the break.

We have a network of models we know that we hire, but you should be able to find both experienced and inexperienced models if you google or ask around. In my country they have something similar to a union that you can contact if you need models.

We pay the models ~20€/h which is the standard fee here.

We take ~5€ for each person who wants to draw. Drop-in. Anyone are welcome.

Protip:
Most people who show up are amateurs or bored 70 year olds. Similar would probably happen if you did it, so allow a little slack to keep it fun or they won't show up.

Don't give people critique unless they ask for it. And even then, be careful with what you say. It's real people, not /ic/.

Being a model is seriously hard work. The difference with a amateur and a pro is night and day so don't expect anyone to be able to do it. More extreme poses are better for the short times, and sitting/lying are better for the longer times. The pros already know this. The amateurs do not.

Make sure that the model is comfortable and doesn't feel awkward. Having blankets and pillows to sit and lie on is mandatory. The same with a heat source since being naked is cold. We've got a heating fan. It's also good to have a chair and a stick for props. If the floor is dirty, make sure the model doesn't have to be directly on the floor.

If you have a friend who can help, that's great.

My friend has been dealing with the economic/tax part of the ordeal, so I'm not very invested in that part. But check it out so you do everything properly. Especially if you don't know everyone you'll be taking money from/paying money to.
>>
>>3026385
The other two posters made some good points. A few things to consider too:
-ask for payment during the first break. This way you still get money from people who show up late, and often at these things a handful of people leave early, so if you ask at the end you will not get everyone either.
-you'll want to make sure there is a space for the model, so get a chair, some cushions, a blanket etc for them to use. You may want a space heater to keep them warm if the room is cold. A staff/pole can help them do different poses too.
-get a timer to time the poses
-some places have music playing during the session, and I personally prefer it like this as opposed to silence
-one place I went to the guy who ran it brought a box of cookies each time and people were free to grab one two during the breaks
-depending on the lighting, you may want to buy a lamp or two
-most places provide easels and drawing boards for people to use
>>
>>3026385
>-How do I find a model without seeming like a creep?
Contact the local colleges who offer life drawing, and ask who they hire through. Here in the US most large cities have model guilds, with prices and schedules.

>What is a good pay rate for a 3 hr session?
Depends on your region. See above.

>How should the time be divided? Should I just do a long pose for the whole time?
Warm up with gestures for half and hour or so, then two 30 minutes poses, end with an hour. Almost every class I've ever taken broke it up that way, unless we were doing 3 hour poses specifically.

Do you have any adult education, or community colleges you can hit up for studio space? Most commercial places won't want charcoal dust on their carpets, and an art studio will have the proper lighting.

I would make up flyers for any art stores you have around, and ask them if they know of any art spaces that can be rented. Remember that place that burned down in Oakland? There are a lot of legit spaces in Oakland, legal ones, for doing this kind of thing - I know one guy who has a large live/work loft who offered life drawing/sculpting in his space for a while.

I would put on the flyer, that you're not providing easels or tables, that everyone needs to bring their own - and their own supplies. People are dumb, you're guaranteed to have a couple idiots show up with "I thought you supplied the paper, durrr" - or maybe have a couple of blank pads to sell, along with charcoal.

My biggest concern would be lighting. You need good lighting, there's nothing more useless than drawing in the dark.

Also, charge, and have strict rules, like "no touching the model", and kick out the creeps who just want free boobs. Or fuck them up and hire a guy. :) Even in college, we'd get at least one dude a semester who'd sign up for class just to see boobs, and the teachers would hire dudes for the first class on purpose. Fucking hilarious when a dude would jump up on the platform naked.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.