[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever contacted an artist to ask him a question or for

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

Have you ever contacted an artist to ask him a question or for some advice?

I occasionally see people saying they hit up artists via facebook, and what not, and I'm just wondering if you fags have ever tried it, maybe gotten a good piece of advice, etc.
>>
>>3024892
I've written several emails to artists. Both to famous ones and to ones who are top tier but less known. I've never gotten a response. That said I know other people who have written emails to famous artists and received nice personal responses and advice before.
>>
File: C5OUgmTWQAAGkR9.jpg (89KB, 1200x1182px) Image search: [Google]
C5OUgmTWQAAGkR9.jpg
89KB, 1200x1182px
I think as long as you make sure to deliver your question in a way that lets them know exactly what you're asking you'll be fine, and of course don't ask something that's stupidly obvious or would take a long time to explain

I once just straight up contacted an artist by searching for them on telegram to ask them how they pulled off an effect in their art and they were happy to share their knowledge.

Consider how much the artist is interested in recieving unsolicited questions. Some artists already sell tutoring sessions to people, asking them for free advice unless it's just one small thing can be very rude.

>show that you value their advice, the thing you're after should be something they're interested in/very good at
>show that you've already made the best attempt you can at whatever it is
>don't waste their time

Also it may be worth mentioning that you just won't be able to contact certain artists, when they're very famous they won't give out anything other than their business email and you shouldn't contact that, if you want advice from them you'll have to find a way to get to know them personally first, meet them at an event or something.

But always remember that artists are real people too and many find it very enjoyable to help others improve, as long as it doesn't take up their entire day unpaid of course.
>>
>>3024911
Pretty much sums it up, if you're genuinely interested in something and ask nicely, most artists will gladly answer you if they're not a dick.
>>
>>3024892
years and years ago I talked to Jhonen Vasquez on Myspace.

We ended up talking about the Lion King toys at McDonalds in the 90's and nacho cheese.
>>
>>3024892
I've spoken to several very well known illustrators, like Michael Whelan, and some of the bigger album cover artists. Generally, the bigger they are, the more likely someone is monitoring their public accounts and email. I've met a couple of them at conventions, and through business contacts (I've done work in the music industry), and they've all been very open about talking shop - in person. One of them told me he avoids online dialog like that, because it's a rabbit hole he didn't want to go down, because he'd end up spending all of his time answering questions. In person is just easier for them to manage. You have to remember, the bigger/more well known they are, the more email/fanmail they get.

Just make sure, if you're going to use social media, that they actually use the account, and it's not their spouse or agent or someone in their office. Like the animator Ralph Bakshi, he's actively posting on his Twitter, and answers questions and talks animation with fans.
>>
>>3024892
I contacted a bunch of comic artists, few of which of a certain caliber (not Mignola caliber but pretty high up) and they all answered in one form or the other, even when I asked for a portfolio review. The pool of people I mailed went from a fantasy webcomic artist to a Brit comic legend (in his 70s now) to BD veterans to illustrators in the game industry.

Only one guy over the years answered me with an email that I thought was precompiled (lengthy but very generic advice that was targeted at absolute beginners when I was not). Being a huge fan of this artist it was a real bummer, but now that I think of it I'm not even sure. Maybe he just learned to keep his advice in generic terms in order not to offend anyone? I can see that happen.

Everyone - and I mean everyone - else went from nice / friendly to really helpful with lots of good advice and encouragement. One of the things I came to love about comics is that the creators are so reachable and most of the time very passionate about their craft so unless you mail people who are astoundigly busy you're guaranteed to get a word of advice because they genuinely care.

That said I'm very brief / polite and I generally only e-mail if I really, really like the artist and my favorite artists are a bit niche.

My advice aside from being polite, brief and giving a link to art that is easy to browse clearly, is to have a very clear idea of what you're going to ask. If you mail for the sake of mailing you might not get an answer because why respond to a throwaway email?

If you ask your FAVORITE background artist who works in your own medium something specific about backgrounds that you can't get a grasp on, you probably will get a word or two. All the advice that applies to portfolios also applies here.
>>
I once e-mailed Matt Kobe (ctrlpaint) to ask him if I could watch the premium videos streamed somewhere after I bought them because my computers drivers don't work and mentioned that j really appreciated his website and him doing it and that it really changed my life. He responded and said that was a really big compliment and answered my question.
I'm such an autist.
>>
File: 42638427.png (3MB, 1864x2408px) Image search: [Google]
42638427.png
3MB, 1864x2408px
Unfortunately, i lost the email somewhere on my other computer, but i still remember it to this day
>Artist named CatPlus.
>He was famous in 2009-2010 and drew a bunch of anime weeb stuff.
>Fast forward to 2013, my 14 year old self is becoming weeaboo; watching anime for the first time.
>Discover his work and think, "this is the best animu artwork ive ever seen! I want to be like this guy one day."
>Notice that CatPlus has been offline for years and think he died in some violent gang shooting (hes from Brazil)
>Think nothing of it. Just carry on drawing
>Fast forward to 2015, still shit at drawing, but making sure to copy images from Bammes, bridgman, loomis everyday
>CatPlus actually goes back online, i message him and show him my shitty artwork drawn from imagination
>two specific questions: "How the fuck do you watch so much anime while still having time to draw?" and "How do you practice drawing?"
>He emails me back saying this

>Draw during the week, Marathon Anime and Gaming during the weekends
>Draw your full body images, but always spend a specific amount of time on the areas you lack
>Join an art class, nothing can beat having teacher and student interaction

>He disappears again, for a year now

I did end up attending a life study class and drawing anatomy, but i never got the advantage of a life class over just reading lots of loomis. But to this day, im waiting for a class that will really blow me away and actually teach me something i cant learn on my own. I specifically want to get better at writing now since i want to make a comic, and have already made some... still pretty shit attempts at one. I hate to say it, but ive been really lacking in keeping up with anime. I wish i took his advice and marathoned something every friday and saturday night during highschool. So CatPlus, i will try to live by your system in college.

Im going to make it a goal to draw just like my master and try to actually make a comic in his style one day.
>>
>>3027942
cute
>>
>>3024892
>Have you ever contacted an artist to ask him a question or for some advice?
I strongly suggest anyone who wants to work with this to try and do this. Go to a convention, a studio or any related event.
>>
I talked to Wesley Burt on the phone. Not gonna lie it was like talking to a celebrity. But as long as you have questions prepared, and act respectful and professional and indulge with their life, they MIGHT ask to see your work if they have time. Afterwards ALWAYS SEND A THANK YOU NOTE. NOT AN EMAIL. I would've asked for his address, but he was moving and I didn't want to complicate things.

I sent him a email regarding that I was a student. Being a student means you are not competition, which gives you a shoe in to being considered since they aren't afraid to disclose their secrets. I also mentioned a few things they've done that I've admired so they know I am aware of their works.

Be humble, be open to what they have to say, be personable, don't be an asshole, and be interested in what they have to say. Also don't be afraid to inquire about deeper ideas that aren't usually talked about in a formal interview. Try to skype with them, meet in person, or by phone. An email interview sucks ass. Also be open about who you are, don't come off as a weirdo. Be open about you and what your goals are and show them you're passionate.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.