[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I used to enjoy this guy's fantasy landscapes but had n

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 2015vs2017.jpg (307KB, 1118x1663px) Image search: [Google]
2015vs2017.jpg
307KB, 1118x1663px
I used to enjoy this guy's fantasy landscapes but had not seen any new stuff from him in a year or two so I decided to look him up and lo and behold, all of his new work is hot garbage. Completely awful stuff.
How is this possible? It's as if he lost 5 years worth of skill.

I hesistate to post this because I truly wish Espen all the best but I am genuinely shocked and puzzled over how a young artist can regress so massively in skill. Did he suffer head trauma or something? Some of his new stuff on his twitter look borderline retarded. His old social media pages on facebook and artstation are gone so I suppose it's possible that he went through some bad private stuff. If you're reading this Espen I am sorry for my harsh words but I really hope you get your groove back.

https://twitter.com/Espenartman
>>
>>3024341
looks like he focused so much on rendering that he lost the charm in the originals, the new ones look muddy, maybe from overblending?
>>
>>3024341
As someone who went through something similar, possibly trauma, physical and psychological.
I experienced disease, the end bad of a relationship and death of a person close to me ( including finding her corpse) in a span of half a year and then a few month later my forehead was hit by a metal slab hard enough to split the flesh to the bone and giving me a concussion.
In that span of a year or so I lost about 5 years worth of skill and working on getting back to pro level again is hard.
>>
>>3024341
That is weird, he sucks at rendering and constructing characters and it seems to have seeped into his landscapes.
>>
>>3024372

Damn, that's rough. Godspeed anon.
>>
>>3024341
probably some kind of personal trauma, it could easily be just that he's only spending 3 hours on a piece where he used to spend 7, you never know.

he could also be trying to work on stuff he's not good at, or searching for something to make his work better, which would lead to him doing worse stuff temporarily.

just ask him
>>
>>3024341
looks like he's just been focusing on 3d
>>
I think theyre of the same skill level, what makes the older ones more appealing is his use of contrast with strong light areas. Maybe he grew tired of this trope so stopped using it and felt like his taste was progressimg but everyone was still enjoying that aspect of his works
>>
>>3024825
making images look good through contrast, composition and lighting is not a trope.
>>
>>3024341
>from god-tier to generic in two years
This is incredible.
>>
>>3024825

Dude go check your eyes... Look at the difference in brush economy, edges, values and shape design etc. I can go on and on. It's miles apart.
>>
Ha, I just realized the bottom picture is from The Umbrella Academy. Used to love that comic.
>>
>>3024341
God damn the 2015 is fucking awesome, just check his twitter though, i can't believe those came from the same person.
>>
>>3024341
What's the big regress you're talking about, Looks like has has gotten more painterly brushwork + better rendering, and more interesting composition perspective and atmosphere.
>>
>>3024898

this has to be bait
>>
>>3024902
I'm pretty certain the guy that made this thread is. He's probably so stupid he can't even describe any regress concretely. I challange him to have the discussion.
>>
>>3024904
You're blind if you can't see the regression. The perspective, shape design, confidence in brushwork, edges, everything gets worse by a huge amount. It's actually astonishing the difference.
>>
>>3024906
The two 2015 pieces, are very basic when it comes to perspective, so it's hard to even mess up to begin with. The bottom pictures makes use of perspective in a much more interesting way. The shape design in the top 2015 picture are basically generic concept art rocks. and the sharp edges in that one is mainly due to a overuse of lasso tool. Also the clouds are ugly as fuck, and his composition is stupid. Why is the foreground, a bunch of rocks, so heavily focused on? And the grass is ugly af. The atmospheric perspective he uses is ugly and you can se the ugly brushstrokes. Unlike the 2017 top picture Which has a subtle comp with nice brushwork and values that work neatly with the narrative being pushed.
>>
>>3024913
just compared the grass and the trees, it's hot fucking garbage, looks grossly unfinished
>>
>>3024946
That's literally autistic
>>
>>3024341
Maybe he just switched brushes and now is not using as hard of a brush so all his edges is kinda blurry maybe its easier for him to go from hard edge to soft then the reverse.
>>
>>3024341
>>3025064
More things people dont realize when looking at stuff like this maybe his workflow has changed or maybe he cant put in the same amount of time into each piece.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.