[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is E3 a time of mixed emotions for anyone else? I always watch

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: download.jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 225x225px
Is E3 a time of mixed emotions for anyone else?

I always watch the streams and see all the people having a good time, feeling fulfilled and satisfied with where they're at in their lives.

I imagine what it would be like to work in the games industry as an artist. Having peers with similar goals, working together on a project that is bigger than any one individual.

It's a time of depression because it's another year that I am older and working a job I don't care about, but also motivation because I want in. It's the only thing I can see myself doing and enjoying.

I can't fail. It's do or die.
>>
You and us all.
>>
>>3023357
What do we do? How do we get in?
>>
>>3023360
Just keep working at it. All the efforts will pay off eventually. It's either slow down and die or keep going and win.
>>
What do we do? How do we get in?>>3023356
>>3023357
>>3023356

you combine your efforts and the efforts of others you recruit all work for free then make a AAA game.
>>
>>3023365
Yeah...

It's a difficult business. You have to be a little crazy to pursue a career like this. When you're a kid, people say "You can be anything you want." Then you get older and they expect you to be realistic. I can tell when I talk about it, people think it's a pipe dream. They also give it away when they tell me about job openings at the hospital or the airport.

Do you feel yourself coming close to "making it" in any way?
>>
>>3023391
Sounds good. Let's do it.
>>
>>3023356

If you really want to work in the game industry, do not try to get in as a 2d artist. I can't emphasize this enough. I did it; got hired as a concept artist, worked in a couple of studios for a couple years, then got laid off. Never found another job. Now I work a shit job and I gotta say I almost prefer it. I devoted my 20s to trying to break in, made it for a while, and still ultimately failed.

Do not believe people who tell you that you can make it if you work hard enough. Maybe you will, but there's a good chance that you won't. People will react to this angrily and I'm sure have all sorts of reasons why I'm wrong, but I'm telling you: 2d art is just too competitive. It takes more than hard work. Factors that are beyond your control have too strong an impact on your success, and your career will never have any real stability.

The game industry is not a good career path, desu. It's exploitative. Too many people want in, so you have no power as an employee. Management will set arbitrary deadlines and require everyone to work 15 hour days for 3-6 months at a time to meet them, and if you don't like it, there's 500 applicants hungry for your job at the drop of a hat.

I wish I'd listened to the people who told me this when I was starting out, but I had exactly the same attitude as all the people who are about to reply to this post to tell me how I'm wrong.
>>
>>3023396
i'm that poster and i was saying you guys could do that , i was just suggesting it . i'm not interested in game design stuff.
but you should learn 3d like the above anon suggested.
>>
>>3023408
So you're not working in the entertainment industry or doing illustration or anything to do with art at all?
>>
I hate manchildren so fucking much.

/vic/ containment board fucking when?
>>
>>3023408
It's a pretty cowardly debate tactic to preemtively try to establish that everyone who is going to reply to you and disagree with what you said is wrong and angry about things and is just like you used to be before you came to your enlightened realization. Shows that you don't have much confidence in arguing your position at all and you know that anything you wrote is just anecdotal evidence.

Your experience is worthless to anyone else because everything you experienced in your short lived concept art career was based on what YOU brought to the table skill wise. Or in your case, what you didn't bring to the table. I bet there are plenty of your former colleagues who are doing just fine and many have probably risen up to even better positions by now.
>>
>>3023408
I bet you were never was that good in the first place
>>
File: 1491182010506.jpg (82KB, 800x596px) Image search: [Google]
1491182010506.jpg
82KB, 800x596px
Holy moly what a fucking cringefest it was, even for 2017 standards that is an all time low
>>
>>3024742
What was, E3 in general?
>>
>>3023356
>I always watch the streams and see all the people having a good time, feeling fulfilled and satisfied with where they're at in their lives.
That's what you see? I see people whose lives are completely meaningless and whose entire existence revolve around what essentially boils down to digital toys. You can also see that most of these people don't seem to be very healthy, whether we're talking physically, socially or mentally.

The fact that most of the art you see in the majority of games is so uniform and uninteresting doesn't exactly help either.
>>
I'd love to work in the industry as a 2d artist, but I realize it's not feasible as a recent graduate or for anyone else trying to get their first job in the industry. Pre production work in general seems very difficult to get a position in. Why not work on a more practical skill that employers can use during production time? Character modeling, lighting, rigging, layout, prop modeling, animation, etc..
It might be wishful thinking, but the barrier to entry doesn't seem as difficult for these positions. It feels like the mindset for aspiring concept artists is that concept art is the only way in.

My 2 cents
>>
>>3025823
Is illustration not feasible anymore these days?
>>
File: 1487085281136.jpg (75KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1487085281136.jpg
75KB, 480x640px
>>3025772

Yes. Simply the fact that the corporate branch of video game development companies (that also includes marketing) have a huge fucking colossal disconnection with the actual gaming culture, fan service and what actual gamers actually want in a game.

Instead, they shove DLC content down your throat to make an extra buck, political correctness, early access/content, showcase paid celebrities/hot girls/cringy personalities and hosts/ men in business suits instead of the creators and team who worked on a project, makes games for a more profitable audiences vs the actual fans, preorder bonuses when the game itself should already have that since you already payed 59.99 for it.

Just look at EA. A fucking shitshow, that's why there's E3 cringe compilations every year.

Also, E3 cost $1000 USD this year and was open to the public
>>
>>3025837
But E3 is essentially a showcase for investors, not a gaming culture expo. Sure they try reach out to the fans with cringey spokespeople and all that, but that's not what e3 is for, imo.
>>3025825
Beats me. I'm still in uni
>>
File: 1492119768993.jpg (20KB, 421x363px) Image search: [Google]
1492119768993.jpg
20KB, 421x363px
>>3025847

Regardless, a huge disconnection that's warranted to criticism especially when the fans are the only ones who can determine whether a game is good or bad. A showcase to who, other men in suits who make a salary in the vg industry?

That's why the indie games industry and PAX is growing bigger and bigger yearly.

Why else do you think fans go apeshit when Kojima or a game dev releases some fire ass title or resurrect an old title. Why do fans get assmad when all the hype is going towards "E-Sports" vs a unique and great story driven video games. It's 2017.

It's a fan driven industry with three different generations of consumers and they aren't taking some very awkward approaches fir something that has its own sub-culture
>>
>>3025855

Nintendo: Bad at marketing, logistics and sales....good at making great video games
>>
>>3025857
debatable these days.
>>
>>3025857
nintendo games are pretty bland desu
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.