[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A thread in which we post a drawing and try to figure out what

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 17

A thread in which we post a drawing and try to figure out what exactly was the inspiration for this particular design.
It can be anything, piece of armor, vehicle, anatomy, mechanism or architecture.
When interpreting, preferably you trace it back to something existing in RL since most things took their origin there.

For example, what was the inspiration for their armors?
Some things from Blame! I can trace back pretty well but some are a mistery.
Is there something in RL that could work as an inspiration?
>>
Guess I have to read Blame now.
>>
>>3022852
80s horror and scifi movies filtered through anime
>>
the girl reminds me of darth vader or robocop with the mask taken off
>>
File: Cobb-concept-art-868x1024[1].jpg (110KB, 868x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Cobb-concept-art-868x1024[1].jpg
110KB, 868x1024px
>>3022852
dude with the spine face reminds me of a guy from star wars, actually two separate guys, i'll try find pictures, one is these guys
>>
>>3023025
also the bulbous shape design of the armor makes me think of 80's anime like venus wars combined with h r giger, maybe some other anime too like ghost in the shell
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (33KB, 400x550px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
33KB, 400x550px
>>3023035
the other is this guy, but perhaps with a touch of the main sith guy from swtor
>>
>>3023037
giger also did these stair pictures which are reminiscent of the enviroment
>>
>>3022852
Is Blame as good as pewdiepie made it out to be?
>>
File: appleseed2[1].jpg (743KB, 1100x1600px) Image search: [Google]
appleseed2[1].jpg
743KB, 1100x1600px
>>3022852
also something a little bit appleseed about the characters, but that might just be shirow influence + their relative heights
>>
>>3022852
tall nigga look like a dick lmao
>>
File: RIMG0107.jpg (380KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
RIMG0107.jpg
380KB, 960x1280px
>>3022942
Too generic.
Horror movies and sci fi took their inspiration somewhere as well.
That is why I said to trace it back to something existing in RL because as I was analysing various images often I was able to figure out what was the inspiration.

>>3023025
I think kabuki masks were the inspiration here and for many other enemies in Blame!

>>3023037
About bulbous shape, that is one of the thing that puzzles me, where did it come from?
Its a very common shape for armors designed by japs, its old style as well so where did it come from.
For example I seen Maschinen Krieger models often have this bulbous shape and I know those were created by mixing various other models, from WWII as well so, I think WW2 armor oblique design caused by casting techniques of the time was an inspiration to some degree but, what else influenced it.
Where there pieces of old machinery that look similar? Was there some kind of generic thought process that applied to every piece of armor could cause it.
In Blame! some elements of armor I could trace back to bugs chitin carapace but some are still a mystery.

>combined with h r giger
Something I noticed myself, lots of stuff in Blam! have those sticking out pipes that look very alien like.
Where did gigger took his inspiration for them?

>>3023043
Curious, now that you mentioned it I see the similarities.

>>3023063
Its a mindfuck kind of manga, at some point you lose time only to realise that in few panels in manga sometime decades or even hundredths of years go by.

>>3023066
Where did appleseed got its inspiration in RL?

I try to mash some pictures later to show elements which I have no idea where they came from but which I seen very often when it comes to mech or machinery design.
>>
>>3023381
most of the japanese tech inspiration was initially from warships and other stuff like that
>>
>>3023383
and this one because it's a cool photo
>>
>>3023385
thats a sexy boat right there.
>>
>>3023383
Could you post some examples, I mean apart from Yamamoto spaceship.
Just mech design and how it relates to a warship.

As for me I found an awesome thing for people who need mechanism concepts for their design but cant into engineering.

https://www.youtube.com/user/thang010146/featured

Dude has thousands of vids of various mechanisms and also practical application of such mechanism.
I am currently drawing some of this mechanisms trying to incorporate them into the drawing and I have to say, when you actually know what it is, suddenly many of those panels and bulges in Blame! make sense.

Examples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAF4EligtPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yodKPhoTsM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuZ9xsp0-LU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-BaJiRCg68

I am pretty sure this can be useful to some people.

Downloader currently indexing trough his vids and in the last hour it found 2.8k.
All the package weight around 3GB so might as well download to watch it at my leisure without bothering with HTML5 or loading times at yt.
>>
>>3023492
>Yamamoto
Meant Yamato
>>
File: hachioji-electric-cables-FB[1].jpg (383KB, 1195x625px) Image search: [Google]
hachioji-electric-cables-FB[1].jpg
383KB, 1195x625px
>>3023492
I could probably look up some
another influence that one might not consider is the power lines in japan, here's an example of that
>>
>>3022852
I know for sure his Gauna on the sidonia no kishi is inspired by that Moebius drawing of a melting sand guy
>>
>>3023533
In 2oth century boys pseudo mech design looked similar.
>>
>>3023035
>>3023041
Spine face looks more like a Cenobite to me

Also this far predates SWTOR
>>
File: suntower.jpg (2MB, 4000x2248px) Image search: [Google]
suntower.jpg
2MB, 4000x2248px
>>3024184
>>
Bump with pic related.
Where can I see this kind of panel layout in RL, what are all those circles, is there mechanical component in RL they might be based on?

What piece of machinery could serve as an inspiration here?
>>
>>3026144

Is that an edit?
>>
>>3026144
looks like a malformed coal oven, just looks at old pictures of ships, the firerooms look similar
>>
File: 3082036822_d3f2d05222_b.jpg (446KB, 1024x641px) Image search: [Google]
3082036822_d3f2d05222_b.jpg
446KB, 1024x641px
I think everyone knows this one but Boba Fett's ship is based on a lamp from outside the ILM studio,
>>
Yet another OP desperate to prove that 'reference' means 'tracing'...
>>
>>3026160
Is it because he is so "bright"?
Pretty cool nonetheless.

>>3026151
Cant find it senpai.
Coal oven brings me pictures of fireplaces and white girls getting blacked and fire room googles pictures from hell.
Both terms googled combined with ship brings me tons of ships.

>>3026164
dont mean tracing, I mean literal inspiration.
I dont think we can design anything from nothing, everything is based on something.

When I started to design various things, trying to include functionality or traits from some other things, suddenly I ended up with designs that looked very similar to already existing made by other artists.
It gave me the idea that they also must have based their design on something and maybe everything must be based on something and nothing can be created from void without some kind of inspiration.
Inspiration can be even random pattern of stones on the beach.
>>
>>3026144
it's pretty inspired by akira, it looks like the underground thing where they store him at absolute zero
>>
File: insp.jpg (96KB, 706x500px) Image search: [Google]
insp.jpg
96KB, 706x500px
>>3022852
>>
>>3026209
Close but Blame! was released year earlier.

>>3026202
There are some strong similarities, especially with all the pipe work, now the shape of the machine is not something I remember from Akira but even if it was.
Things in Akira also had to be inspired by something.
>>
>>3026209
it's probabably other way around, considering how much of greasy weaboos wachowski's are
>>
>>3022852
The Japanese usually copy shit from the few years past e.g. Road Warrior: 1981 -> Hokuto no Ken 1983

If you look at sci-fi from late 1990s there's Dark City and 12 Monkeys
>>
>>3026546
the watchowskis wanted to literally make live action GITS
>>
>>3027176

I think they would've done a better job than that other unknown dude
>>
>>3027197
Damn, that would be like matrix 4 except with more slowmo and sfx/
Would watch the shit out of it.
>>
>>3023067
LOL SENPAI XDDD
>>
File: safeguards 1.jpg (3MB, 2142x3056px) Image search: [Google]
safeguards 1.jpg
3MB, 2142x3056px
Blame! and his other earlier works have an excellent aesthetic, its a shame that Nihei went so downhill afterwards.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.