[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there an all purpose painting brush/settings for photoshop.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

Is there an all purpose painting brush/settings for photoshop. What kind of brush/settings were used in this? I just want a basic brush that will work for everything, what percentage should I have flow at? I feel lost, what do the pros use?
>>
>>3021554
round hard brush is the pinnacle of brushes
>>
>>3021564
I like the hard round but i can't get nice blending out of it. what percentage opacity/flow do you use? or do you use something else for blending?
>>
>>3021554
It's not very common to just use one brush, if so a hard round or flat is used which doesn't get you a very painterly look. I can see at least three brushes used in that painting, hard round, a wet one and a noisy one. That is a very good combination for most paintings, you need something hard to lay out blocks and shapes, then you sorta blend and mingle the noisy and wet one

I don't know how much automation is available in photoshop these days, I use paintstorm. You can go a long way with a hard noisy one (painterly texture and pattern) that smudges on lighter pressure. Craig Mullins used to say you should only use a hard round. Anyway don't get too hung up on this, a certain brush won't automatically make a pro out of you and it's easy to get bogged down. Noisy brushes are cool and all but can be hard to work with if you don't have a solid foundation
>>
>>3021554
the op looks like it's mostly a round brush with a few different photo textures, which lots of pros do because it's a bit of a cheat.

flow, opacity and size (and shape sometimes) are usually set to pen pressure as needed. if you don't have pen pressure you'll have to fiddle around with keyboard shortcuts i guess.

a useful thing to do might be to get a brush pack off the internet somewhere and see how those go, then you can see what you like and have a starting point in terms of settings and what not for developing your own.
>>
>>3021565
>>3021554
They use standard PS brushes with opacity turn on. Round hard, soft, chalk one. Plus noise variations. Every Chinese artist use soft noise brush for example.
>>
>>3021582
>photo textures
But one one use them except photobashers
>>
File: mixerbrush.png (76KB, 447x403px) Image search: [Google]
mixerbrush.png
76KB, 447x403px
>>3021565
I use myPaint, which has this hard round faux mixer brush

I think photoshop might have this too?
>>
>>3021565
I generally use rounds to blend - low opacity, around 10%, and 100% soft edge.
>>
>>3021564
> round hard brush is the pinnacle of brushes
Don't fall for the hard round meme, it's a horrible brush for using as an all-purpose because the blending is garbage. If you absolutely MUST use just a single brush, I'd recommend going with a softer-edged brush, since all you need to get harder edges is to use the lasso tool or decrease the brush's size enough.

The style you want to reproduce is also important because of the texture. Brushes that help you achieve Western painterly and Chinese painterly are very different for example. Also, going with a style that's textured (like western painterly in the OP) is not practical and realistic to do with an untextured brush (e.g. hard and soft round), so if you go that route make sure to pick a brush that has at least some texture in it.

I personally use about 4 or 5 brushes for different purposes and techniques, but this is the one I use as my all-rounder: http://digitalbrushes.tumblr.com/post/101631401515/zhong-fenghua-reccomended-this-brush-to-hgjart-and
>>
>>3021583
Does anyone have a translation of that pic? Please?
>>
>>3021582
There's no photo textures in that painting
>>
>>3021583

What's the SAI equivalent?
>>
>>3021583

Does anyone have the translated version. I swear I've seen it around before.
>>
I like the erodible point brush for painting.
>>
>>3021670
if you say so brah
>>
>>3021554
Pretty sure that's Darkgem. Say what you want about furries, but that nig can paint.

Get a little texture on your brush, other wise you'll most likely get that gross plastic look.
>>
>>3021582
No photobashing used in this piece. It's clearly just efficient brush use.
>>
>>3024220
phototexture brushes aren't photobashing
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.