[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any reason to be proud of reproducing a picture of a

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

Is there any reason to be proud of reproducing a picture of a landscape. like even if it wasn't traced and was made by finding the vanishing points and measuring; does it really count as skill?

I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time drawing these landscapes or if I would get more valuable practice from drawing from imagination.

Does the skill transfer?
>>
>>3017917
well, i think it's hard to do, at least...
but i've felt sort of the same way. i've had my doubts about just copying stuff i want to learn.
it often feels like i'm just hoping to eventually absorb the right art knowledge from it. recently i've taken to a different approach though: i look at a long term goal, think about it and find how to break it down into a set of really specific skills. then i can practice those skills in a pretty straightforward way. for me it's helpful to do this just for the fact that i know exactly what i'm improving, whereas just copying stuff can be like feeling around in the dark.
so i don't know much about drawing landscapes/environments in particular, but i think it might be helpful to look at what you want to accomplish (like being able to design/draw environments from your imagination or whatever it is you want to do), really think about it and break that goal down into specific skills that you can practice really deliberately.
random example off the top of my head: maybe one of these small skills is intuitively seeing the horizon line and vanishing points. so an exercise you might do to practice that is to get a photo and place the horizon line and some vanishing points on it very quickly, without thinking much. just by guessing. then, you actually measure and plot out the horizon line and vanishing points properly, and see how far off you were. not sure if that's a good example but you probably get my general idea.
>>
in my opinion, short anwser: yes, the skill absolutely transfers.
>>
Is it something I should put in my portfolio? Is it okay to be like "I painted this photo that I took." Is that acceptable portfolio material?
>>
>>3017917
>I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time

What are your short-term and long-term goals?
>>
drawing from imagination is a tumblr meme for wannabe webcomic authors
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.