[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people "clone" artstyles? One thing is taki

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1810.jpg (48KB, 625x415px)
IMG_1810.jpg
48KB, 625x415px
Why do people "clone" artstyles? One thing is taking inspiration, make it your own, but cloning it? just feels... cheap and soulless.
For example this guy is straight up a shittier discount Ilya Kuvshinov
http://komatsukinagato.deviantart.com/

when people will look at his art they'll always compare it to kuvshinov, realize kuvshinov is better and then forget about this guy, if his artstyle was somewhat unique people would stick around for a bit more.
Oh yeah not to forget all the sakimichan clones as well
>>
>someone who cares about Ilya caring about art being cheap and soulless.
>>
maybe they just really really like the artstyle
>>
>>3009076
Can't really blame them, 1-2-3 anime is much faster than developing your own style. A lot of people steal from many sources, but if they only care about the one person's art then it's just logical for them to steal all from one. Plus, it comes in a pre-coherent bundle. As opposed to a jumbled mess that takes years to unscramble.
>>
>>3009076
I don't think it's a big deal. Any young artist who remains curious enough will get bored with being a clone and start to branch out eventually. Even the artists that get cloned so often can change over time and the clones end up looking pretty different, like how Ruan Jia became a lot more direct and opaque with his style of painting over the years.
>>
>>3009076
The people who like Ilya's art do not care about originality or how soulless and cheap it feels. They'll stick around if the copycat artist draws the same subject matter they enjoy, which is probably pretty girls and fanart of video games and anime.
>>
>>3009081
That's no excuse developing a process and a style isn't an easy task and someone just taking it and becoming a carbon copy or a shittier copy while making a profit is a piece of shit. Stuff like that only works in Japan though, and in a way is more justifiable I believe, because culturally it comes off as a sign of respect. Deep down though, I think the original artist just believes the copier is beneath them. Even then certain artist can be heavily influenced, but still maintain their own look and process, those ones understand how to actually use their inspirations without doing the exact same thing.
>>
File: 1455199945793.png (75KB, 268x158px) Image search: [Google]
1455199945793.png
75KB, 268x158px
>>3009595
>That's no excuse
Why exactly do they need one? It's obvious that they're just having fun
>I think the original artist just believes the copier is beneath them
Professor X up in here reading minds n shit.
Stop projecting your own thoughts and world-views onto everyone, there's a good chance they might see them as a very loving fan; remember the phrase "Imitation is the purest form of flattery."
>>
>>3009076
I steal art all the time, problem? :D
>>
>>3009076
You do realize Kr0n is derivative of Zeronis, right?
>>
money and attention
>>
>copying muh style

This is the most childish school yard mentality
>>
>>3009076
I tl;dr'd this thread so excuse me if someone already said it: one of the best ways to grow as an artist (beyond fundimentals) is trying to copy or mimic someone's process. This works especially well if the way they work is very diffrent from you and can open you up to a new way of creating. The flaw here is that sometimes, especially with most of our artwork being posted, we can see a piece of work created to mimic someone's style get popular. Sakimichan's style is very popular with most people, so when people try to imitate her, they get likes, reblogs, faves, exct.

To the strong-willed, they would take this opportunity to analyze the growth and attempt to produce that in their own, original artwork.

But, for the weak willed, the fame goes right to their head. They continue to follow who they copied, no longer to grow, but to gain attention and followers (and never anywhere near as many as the original) and lose themselves in the process. They will never really obtain the satisfaction that an artist who sets out to create their own work, or perhaps even the ones they are copying

so, long story short, people clone others art style because it is successful and it becomes a safety net. As long as the person they copy is getting likes and is popular, they will be popular. But their safety net is also a spider web. They will inevitably tangle themselves up and never be able to escape from it
>>
>>3009756
This is a good comment : those people are just satellites.
How can you become a planet if you remain a satellite for the rest of your life?...
>>
>>3009715
you do realize only desperate shut-ins know who those people are? seriously what, if anything, have those hacks contributed to illustration? Made shitty distorted perspective fashionable? Copied other people's fanart?
>>
>>3009769
Zeronis (aka Paul Kwon) is a professional concept artist and character designer, he works at Riot now iirc. Ilya has also cited him as an influence to his style numerous times.

>only desperate shut ins know who these people are
Kek, ngm.
ARTISTS interested in improving know who OTHER ARTISTS are. Ofc, you wouldn't know what that's like OP, too busy shitposting drama threads in /ic/ aren't we?

Kill yourself you useless waste of oxygen. Good and useful threads died to make room for your shitty drama thread.
>>
>>3009786
>I'm 12 btw
>>
>>3009786
>ARTISTS interested in improving know who OTHER ARTISTS are.
Manchildren artists who are interested in improving their shiny weeby art know who these artists are.
>>
Originality is overrated. The great masters of the past have already discovered the most pleasing styles that are timeless and universally pleasing.

The only way to create a truly original style these days is to abandon all classic principles and create something that is fundamentally unappealing. These flash in the pan gimmick styles may be appreciated for some time due to their novelty, but they will be forgotten as a dead fad within 5 years tops.

By some chance a new appealing motif may be uncovered, but that motif will not be put to best use by keeping it in conjunction with the things that don't work. Rather the motif should be incorporated with other classic principles and techniques to create an overall solid work.
>>
>>3009681
>It's obvious that they're just having fun

theres a difference between doing something for fun and learning from it, and doing something to make a profit, stop making excuses for people too lazy to come up with their own shit

>Professor X up in here reading minds n shit.
Nigga I said "I think," which refers to an having an opinion on the matter. I didn't say I it was a definitive be all notion that they all think this way. Based on cultural norms and tendency derived in Japanese culture, a hierarchy is established and ingrained in the people, not everyone is an outlier. Another thing how is that projecting you fucking retard, many artist regardless of cultural background get annoyed or pissed off to see someone making money off of something that took them a long time to develop. I remember a professor told me that back in the day an illustrator had been doing work similar to James Jean and James Jean actually emailed him and told him to stop doing that shit. Even during college the GOOD professors would look at someones work and tell them it looks too much like so and so's work no art director needs another so-so if that was the case they would just hired them. One even went on to say to some students who were reflecting that style at the time, don't be a carbon copy of micheal whelan, or donato, or dan dos santos.Two who have humbly admitted to be a little bit of a poor mans version of the other, here's a hint it wasn't and can't be Micheal Whelan. It must be muh projecting, not from years of talking to actual artist in the field and how they actually feel about these issues and topics. The share fact that you think someone would be happy or content with this shows you obviously haven't worked hard enough on perfecting your shit, only to have it taken from you and turned into profitable business for someone else.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.