[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any art that you love or obsessed with as a kid or growing

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 12

File: quino_demo1.gif (59KB, 450x582px) Image search: [Google]
quino_demo1.gif
59KB, 450x582px
Is there any art that you love or obsessed with as a kid or growing up?

My father had some Quino comics that I loved to look like, specially the really detail one, having so much ink and lines was hypnotic

And starting at highschool, I had an obsession with magic the gathering, And it was mostly because I loved alot of the art in them. I remember thinking , "I wish I could work doing art for the cards"....
That's what I liked the most about collecting and playing the game.
I specially remember Rebecca Guay being my favorite
>>
>>3009043
Quino is the shit! I read all of my dad's Mafaldas when I was like 5.
Sadly I tore a couple of volumes in the process...
>>
File: quino2.jpg (39KB, 320x400px) Image search: [Google]
quino2.jpg
39KB, 320x400px
>>3009052
I really like him as well , even if mafalda is great, I like it more when it can do pretty much everything with the visuals, so much different stuff in all his books
>>
File: 001.jpg (274KB, 984x1360px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
274KB, 984x1360px
>>3009043
R. Crumb
Best illustrator of the 21st century.
Better than Loomis.
>>
File: image.jpg (116KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116KB, 600x800px
We used to have these TV trays with an oil painting reproduced on the serving side... I would zone out looking into the painting and find that an hour or two had passed
#justautisticstuff
Well maybe not that long, but it did entrance me.
>>
File: image.jpg (114KB, 570x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114KB, 570x750px
Rockwell. I was virtually legally blind at 20/100 vision so everything drawn or painted was an important touchstone.
>>
File: 2254434-bellas_de_noche_no264.jpg (66KB, 568x640px) Image search: [Google]
2254434-bellas_de_noche_no264.jpg
66KB, 568x640px
My dad used to have stacks of these Mexican comics in our storage shed. And then one day they went missing when I was around 11 or so
>>
>>3009057
same, in late teens. had a monet and moebius phase too
>>
>>3009149
It was probably for the best.

>>3009154
>he aged out of Monet
Fuck you
>>
>>3009149
Some times I look at this Mexican comics, and think they look alot better than they should.
but mostly the covers
>>
Yeah I love talking about this, but I was a very art- starved child, so I have very fond memories of what I had. They were basically my older cousins game manuals for ps1 games and my calvin and hobbes collection.

I specifically remember one prima book, it had some crazy art. I'm positive it was one of the final fantasies, but I can't say which. Drives me crazy because the moment I discovered it in my dads garage is when I had the thought of 'wanting to do this too.'

And calvin and hobbes, I was fascinated with how just a couple strokes in the right places could make the most expressive faces and poses.
>>
>>3009057
I was intrigued by the doc as a kid, I thought it was a recreation or something like Michael J Fox in 'Bright Lights, Big City'? It's told anachronistically, ignoring the father's actual career as a combat illustrator. As a storytelling device, an anachronistic structure is very compelling for an audience because it forces the viewer to make sense of the plot.
>>
File: TPQEnGs.jpg (198KB, 1071x1503px) Image search: [Google]
TPQEnGs.jpg
198KB, 1071x1503px
When I was a kid I was obsessed with Dragon Ball. There was really nothing else.
>>
>>3009163
lol, no. but there was a period where id look at his stuff obsessively
>>
>>3009166
yeah, loved how dynamic watterson drew. used to try to draw like that, always looked shit
>>
>>3009181
Watterson used a strange method, brush mainly, but with the #102 nib for the odd blade of grass or something?
>>
File: 863827-bigthumbnail.jpg (277KB, 450x319px) Image search: [Google]
863827-bigthumbnail.jpg
277KB, 450x319px
I loved really crappy 90's greeting card/hallmark store art. I still love it, deep down.

I had a bunch of stationary and posters similar to this. Dolphins in space. I'd stare at these images it for hours. I don't know why there were so many airbrushed/digitally rendered images of sea creatures in space during the 90's, but if you think for a second that if I saw a high quality print of some tacky dolphin space art that I wouldn't get it now and frame that shit, you'd be mistaken.
>>
File: pentecost_andrew_wyeth.jpg (117KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
pentecost_andrew_wyeth.jpg
117KB, 800x534px
>>3009043

Andrew Wyeth. I was obsessed with him. I wanted to paint like him. But, here's the kicker, I was also really interested in animation, so I had dreams of making animations that looked like Wyeth paintings.

Now I work in animation and draw stuff that looks nothing like Wyeth.
>>
File: 008.png (505KB, 1046x783px) Image search: [Google]
008.png
505KB, 1046x783px
>>3009154
I met crumb, and have an original piece he gave me at a dinner in Manhattan. I have an original table place mat drawing. I was obssessed with his line work and technique...I am not so much into his comics anymore but his illustrations is still the best from all the artists today. His landscapes and drawings of women are high quality traditional pen and ink work.

Everything else pales in comparison, he is truly one of the rare artists if this century, there are no other artists like him or they are rare.
>>
File: IMG_1259.jpg (170KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1259.jpg
170KB, 1080x720px
>>3009176
This.

Also I didn't know his name at the time but I really dig Bruce timm's work as well. He pretty much shaped the entire aesthetic of dc's animated shows and those shows really inspired me.
>>
>>3009149
>>3009165
Yea, Oscar Balzadua. He was great.
His DA is sorta lacking.
http://obazaldua.deviantart.com/
>>
More than even Magic the Gathering, which was already mentioned, I fucking loved these "follow your own adventure" books by GrĂ¼nd. I don't know if they existed in other languages than French, but they were the best things in the universe to me. Shame they've gone to absolute shit now, I'm gonna try and build up a collection for my own children.
>>
File: 51D4DJRCAAL.jpg (64KB, 379x475px) Image search: [Google]
51D4DJRCAAL.jpg
64KB, 379x475px
>>3012141
forgot to post image, here's an example of one of the covers. they had different artists, this is definitely not the best.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.